Temple gives flak jackets to local authorities for protection

webfact

Temple gives flak jackets to local authorities for protection

By Thai PBS

2109005.jpg

The abbot of Wat Khaodaeng temple in Nakhon Nayok province yesterday (Sept 20) delivered 20 sets for flak jackets and communications equipment to local administration officials for protection during their routine patrols.

The abbot, Phra Khru Ratanakirirak, of the temple in Tambon Sarika, said the jackets and communications equipment were purchased from money donated by Buddhists after regular patrols by the special task force of the Nakhon Nayok local administration could help to curb drug trafficking and drug addiction in the communities.

The outstanding performance of local officials has won admiration from local people.

Full story:  http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/temple-gives-flak-jackets-local-authorities-protection/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-09-21

While foreign journalists on their way to war-torn areas (Syria) get arrested for the possession of a bullet proof west at the airport. This "we are Thai, we are the important people" mentality is (deleted) me off. 

Btw. isn't the trade of bullet proof wests illegal? Assuming that no temple would give out something for free...

1 hour ago, CelticBhoy said:

Flak jackets make more sense than "lucky" amulets.

Even the monks are latching on to that!  :smile:

I bought some amulets last year in a temple, they were sold for raising money so they could buy flak jackets and other equipment for the border police in northern Thailand.

49 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

While foreign journalists on their way to war-torn areas (Syria) get arrested for the possession of a bullet proof west at the airport. This "we are Thai, we are the important people" mentality is (deleted) me off. 

Btw. isn't the trade of bullet proof wests illegal? Assuming that no temple would give out something for free...

Yeah, Thailand does seem like the center of the universe and to be Thai is to be privileged above all else especially from the officialdom.  One no longer feels that much at home there anymore.  A life saving device is a weapon of war.  Explains why there are no safety meters installed in silos and sewer pipes. 

5 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Yeah, Thailand does seem like the center of the universe and to be Thai is to be privileged above all else especially from the officialdom.  One no longer feels that much at home there anymore.  A life saving device is a weapon of war.  Explains why there are no safety meters installed in silos and sewer pipes. 

:clap2::thumbsup::clap2:

In Thailand a flak jacket is considered a weapon under Thailand's 1987 Arms Control Act and requires a license for possession. 

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/journalists-unprotected-against-flak-thailands-laws-23364/

In fact in October 2015 a foreign reporter was charged with violation for carrying a flak jacket in his hand luggage.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30270690

If the abbot and local administration officials who are neither law enforcement nor military did not apply for weapon licenses, they might also be in violation of the Arms Control Act. Failure of the police to at least investigate such possible violations demonstrates unequal application of the law.

On 9/21/2017 at 12:56 PM, Lupatria said:

"This "we are Thai, we are the important people" mentality is (deleted) me off. 

Btw. isn't the trade of bullet proof wests illegal?     <NO>  Assuming that no temple would give out something for free..." 

Thank you for your opinion.  

On 9/22/2017 at 1:48 AM, Srikcir said:

In Thailand a flak jacket is considered a weapon under Thailand's 1987 Arms Control Act and requires a license for possession. 

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/journalists-unprotected-against-flak-thailands-laws-23364/

In fact in October 2015 a foreign reporter was charged with violation for carrying a flak jacket in his hand luggage.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30270690

If the abbot and local administration officials who are neither law enforcement nor military did not apply for weapon licenses, they might also be in violation of the Arms Control Act. Failure of the police to at least investigate such possible violations demonstrates unequal application of the law.

On 9/21/2017 at 2:02 PM, yellowboat said:

5 minutes ago, inThailand said:

They just realized a Mr T array of amulets can't stop bullets?

Why would a temple need protection?

You've got a lot of news to catch up on.  Monks, teachers and children are the prime targets for radical muslim terrorist in the 3 southern provinces.  The military has just issued 2500 HK assault weapons to local civilians to assist them. https://news.vice.com/article/thai-army-hands-out-weapons-to-civilians-in-southern-conflict

10 hours ago, joeyg said:

The military has just issued 2500 HK assault weapons to local civilians to assist them.

That may backfire in bringing peace in the south.

"I fear that more arms in the countryside, especially in the hands of people who are really not in the chain of command, is going to exacerbate this problem [tit for tat violence]," .... "They [military] don't need more guns in the south, they need more accountability."  - https://news.vice.com/article/thai-army-hands-out-weapons-to-civilians-in-southern-conflict

PS: Those "local civilians" are village defense volunteers trained by the military.

On 9/23/2017 at 6:46 PM, Srikcir said:

"I fear that more arms in the countryside, especially in the hands of people who are really not in the chain of command, is going to exacerbate this problem [tit for tat violence]," .... "They [military] don't need more guns in the south, they need more accountability."  - https://news.vice.com/article/thai-army-hands-out-weapons-to-civilians-in-southern-conflict

PS: Those "local civilians" are village defense volunteers trained by the military.

I'm former military/combat vet.  IMPO I think training and arming people to kill radical muslim terrorists is a step in the right direction.  Easily half the moto/taxi guys have guns under their seats.  I'm all for an armed citizenry just like Switzerland has.

20 minutes ago, joeyg said:

I'm former military/combat vet.  IMPO I think training and arming people to kill radical muslim terrorists is a step in the right direction.  Easily half the moto/taxi guys have guns under their seats.  I'm all for an armed citizenry just like Switzerland has.

Switzerland never had an ideological and cultural divide like in southern Thailand. It never had to contend with an insurgency created by forced annexation of a foreign sovereignty. US arming villagers didn't work for the South Vietnamese to prevent occupation by North Vietnamese.

With regard to southern Thailand, the Thai military has tried outsourcing security duties to local residents as part of an initiative dubbed "the Thung Yang Daeng Model." Essentially a borrowed concept from the US in its fight against North Vietnam. At best the model proved ineffective security and at worst targeted local elected officials and defense volunteers by insurgents.

5 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Switzerland never had an ideological and cultural divide like in southern Thailand. It never had to contend with an insurgency created by forced annexation of a foreign sovereignty. US arming villagers didn't work for the South Vietnamese to prevent occupation by North Vietnamese.

With regard to southern Thailand, the Thai military has tried outsourcing security duties to local residents as part of an initiative dubbed "the Thung Yang Daeng Model." Essentially a borrowed concept from the US in its fight against North Vietnam. At best the model proved ineffective security and at worst targeted local elected officials and defense volunteers by insurgents.

On 9/23/2017 at 6:46 PM, Srikcir said:

Archived