Thailands low IQ score in schools

upside

15 hours ago, upside said:

I was looking at IQ scores done by a professor in 80 countries.

Thailand scores quite low at 85. 100 being acceptable. 

For those of you with your kids at school in Thailand, don't you feel like you're letting your children down to suit yourself? You should as a parent want the best for your kids correct? There's no reason to not school your kids back in your home countries ,  and I won't go into medical where your children would no doubt recieve a much higher level of care through better skilled medical proffesionals. 

I'd actually call it child abuse.

Considering your moronic post, I'd say You have an IQ of a toilet brush 

47 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

After so much criticism of his work Richard Lynn was forced to go back and revise his IQ theories on a world bases, working with  Tatu Vanhanen, a Finnish Professor of Political Science, who conducted IQ studies in more than 80 countries . He now places Asians as the top 6 highest IQ countries in the world.

A more up to date chart of his findings is here.. However all IQ theories must be interpreted with extreme caution.

https://iq-research.info/en/page/average-iq-by-country

Interesting.  Those darn Chinese sure dominate that list at the top.  Asians for that matter.  So if the OP isn't sending his kids to Singapore or Hong Kong, it's child abuse!

16 hours ago, upside said:

It's morning where I am. 

If you have nothing to contribute other than a poor troll effort I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

Western parents who decide to bring their kids to Thailand and school them at regular Thai schools are irresponsible in the fact they are placing their kids at a great disadvantage.

The International schools in Thailand probably have better education systems than those schools in the home countries, but they`re not cheap.

Unless westerners with children can afford to give their children an International school education in Thailand, including sending to a western standard University after they graduate from school, then they should not bring their children to Thailand.

6 hours ago, Tim207 said:

Perhaps you don't actually know what an IQ score is, how it is measured, or what influences the results. I think you should understand what you are talking about before you pass judgement on the choices of people you don't know, regarding something you obviously know nothing about, based on information you don't understand.

You summed it up perfectly !!

7 hours ago, Dakhar said:

Cream rises to the top. 

6 hours ago, connda said:

Source? :sleep:

There are many examples of dropouts that went on to earn millions, if not billions.

http://www.mytopbusinessideas.com/school-drop-out-billionaires-successful-entrepreneurs/

Also Elon Musk, born in S. Africa, a place not necessarily known as a juggernaut for academia 

https://www.biography.com/people/elon-musk-2083715

Early Life

Son of a Canadian mother and a South African father, Elon Reeve Musk was born on June 28, 1971, in Pretoria, South Africa. He spent his early childhood with his brother Kimbal and sister Tosca in South Africa, and at 10, the introverted Elon developed an interest in computers. During this time, his parents divorced. He taught himself how to program, and when he was 12 he made his first software sale—of a game he created called Blastar. At age 17, in 1989, he moved to Canada to attend Queen’s University and avoid mandatory service in the South African military, but he left in 1992 to study business and physics at the University of Pennsylvania. He graduated with an undergraduate degree in economics and stayed for a second bachelor’s degree in physics.

17 hours ago, upside said:

There's no reason to not school your kids back in your home countries...

Yes there is, a well choose Thai EP school is way better than the risk of a school with 75+ percent migrant muslim kids in my home country.

These test were administered in Thai language. No one will tell you this because it is TABOO , thai language is not useful for higher learning . it habitually like a  lot all old languages make the user think a certain way. that is why low test scores has nothing to do with genetics. if the same kids were taught english score would be much higher. when was the last time you saw a thai read a book when they had free time? very rare. the ones that score highest also speak english.  that is how the elite keep the people down stress nationalism and thainess keep them dumb. that is your FYI for the day

THIS old drudge again . . .

IQ has NOTHING to do with the quality of education. Having said that, I've been a teacher for years in several different schools in Thailand. If I couldn't afford to send my kid to a REAL international school (and not one of those who merely slap on the title so they can charge higher tuition) I'd move to another country.

1 hour ago, quandow said:

THIS old drudge again . . .

IQ has NOTHING to do with the quality of education. Having said that, I've been a teacher for years in several different schools in Thailand. If I couldn't afford to send my kid to a REAL international school (and not one of those who merely slap on the title so they can charge higher tuition) I'd move to another country.

My oldest step daughter only had village school education and has since then got her degree at the university of technology in Surin and has also just finished her second round of studies to be a teacher. My other step daughter who went to the same school is now studying for an officers patent in the royal Thai navy. My 10 year old son goes to the same school and is doing very well. Low IQ isn't the fault of the schools, it is homegrown. 

22 hours ago, khunPer said:

Yes there is, a well choose Thai EP school is way better than the risk of a school with 75+ percent migrant muslim kids in my home country.

Actually I have heard that many parents in the UK think it's an advantage to have large numbers of Pakistani children in the school, they are high achievers and raise the standards because the British kids try to emulate them.

43 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Actually I have heard that many parents in the UK think it's an advantage to have large numbers of Pakistani children in the school, they are high achievers and raise the standards because the British kids try to emulate them.

Unfortunately my home country is not UK, and in my home country there are not many Pakistani...

On 22/09/2017 at 12:15 PM, Tim207 said:

Perhaps you don't actually know what an IQ score is, how it is measured, or what influences the results. I think you should understand what you are talking about before you pass judgement on the choices of people you don't know, regarding something you obviously know nothing about, based on information you don't understand.

Actually I understand it perfectly. I also understand there's plenty who could send their children to schools back in their home countries but choose to think of themselves rather than wanting the best for their children....It's pure selfishness.

Akin to child abuse denying your child the best you can but choose not to. Shameful parenting.

For education reform to have any kind of success in Thailand, a lot of class barriers need to be removed, especially between blue and white collar workers, and people have to stop using wealth as a measure of respect and adoration. 

IO tests only rate how good the student is at taking IQ tests, not how intelligent they are. If you do not take the cultural and social background into account, they don't mean much. Yes, the Thai educational system has some appalling flaws, and along with the 'know your place' culture does damage many children's ability to obtain good results.

But education starts at home. And starts early. Choose a better school, if you are able, but just because an international school is beyond a parents financial means doesn't mean that there are no good schools either. Genetics, early stimulation and the opportunity to learn more by yourself will do wonders, My daughter watches videos about medical issues, inflation theory (I kid you not!) and many other things and asks some quite profound questions - she is just 6 years old! And, as suggested, would you rather your child was a sheep in a British flock, or a wolf in Thailand?

Sure the UK would be a better place if you are able to afford the catchment area of a good school and the cost of living associated with all that, sometimes you have to make do with the resources available. And the UK has some fundamental problems (Brexit, a financially motivated University system, etc,) also opportunities are not like they used to be - my son has a degree from Cambridge but is struggling to find a job - currently on minimum wage. Half his friends are also struggling. My daughter in Thailand will get a head start over others and vastly more opportunities.

On 24/09/2017 at 6:43 PM, rickudon said:

IO tests only rate how good the student is at taking IQ tests, not how intelligent they are. If you do not take the cultural and social background into account, they don't mean much. Yes, the Thai educational system has some appalling flaws, and along with the 'know your place' culture does damage many children's ability to obtain good results.

But education starts at home. And starts early. Choose a better school, if you are able, but just because an international school is beyond a parents financial means doesn't mean that there are no good schools either. Genetics, early stimulation and the opportunity to learn more by yourself will do wonders, My daughter watches videos about medical issues, inflation theory (I kid you not!) and many other things and asks some quite profound questions - she is just 6 years old! And, as suggested, would you rather your child was a sheep in a British flock, or a wolf in Thailand?

Sure the UK would be a better place if you are able to afford the catchment area of a good school and the cost of living associated with all that, sometimes you have to make do with the resources available. And the UK has some fundamental problems (Brexit, a financially motivated University system, etc,) also opportunities are not like they used to be - my son has a degree from Cambridge but is struggling to find a job - currently on minimum wage. Half his friends are also struggling. My daughter in Thailand will get a head start over others and vastly more opportunities.

Sorry but that just isn't true re getting a head start with vastly more opportunities.  

Your daughters degree if she attends even Thailands best university would be worthless in the west. How is that a real head start?

What degree does your son have where he can't even find a job with it?  Something wrong there.

Your daughters degree if she attends even Thailands best university would be worthless in the west.

Nonsense.

Then how got a Thai friend of my wife admitted to a PhD program in the US at one of the best medical universities?

They let him in with a worthless Thai piece of paper?

And what about the Thai dentist teaching at Harvard university? She also came in with a thai degree.

On 24/09/2017 at 3:49 AM, upside said:

Akin to child abuse denying your child the best you can but choose not to. Shameful parenting.

A lot of things would fall under this incredible general statement. Try and be a little more specific. 

Are we saying it would also be child abuse if you send your child to a free government school back home? When you could afford a private school that may have slightly better average scores? 

Instead, you spend that money you save on letting the child experience travel, extra curriculum activities such as team sports, responsibilities of owning animals etc, creating a more rounded individual. Is that child abuse as their grades are lower than what they possibly could be - completely ignoring every other factor? By your definition it seems to be, as it seems the child abuse you are discussing, but don't quite comprehend the definition of, is educational neglect. See what happens when you restrict yourself so much? Did you not get the education you think you should have? 

Yes, if someone sends their kid to a low quality school in the country and do not do any outside work then they may not be providing the educational opportunities they could. However, to group every single school as the same within the country is ignorant at best. 

Personally, my father is a teacher at a leading school in Melbourne, his wife is also, and she used to be a leading teacher in Singapore. This would be the school they would be going to if back home. Two of my three sisters are also teachers with Masters (one is living in Sweden now). My Thai sister-in-law is a Science teacher at a school tied to a university (Physics major), and my wife scored the second highest score in Thai language in the country in M6. She is used for educational purposes/lecturing and before starting our family, was sent to Malaysia to act on behalf of Thai government regularly. 

I am not a trained teacher but graduated from a university ranked in the top 1% of the world. So in theory my children can have access to any of the Thai, Australian, Singaporean and Swedish curriculum. Although, in reality, they will be tested regularly against Australian and Thai standards (by senior teachers). This will put them in a good position for the later years of high school, where they will make the decision what they want to do. They can be car mechanics for all I care if they are happy. 

So seeing as the kids have free health/dental until 20 years old, free education until they are 25 (including bachelor and half price private education), a few insurance policies and a lot of land to set them up in life. Whether they choose to stay here or move somewhere else is not a real issue as they will have a house here or a deposit to start off wherever they go - something many young adults back in Melbourne (my home city) do not currently have. And it is at the point now where psychologists are very much talking about the 'early life crisis'.

Child abuse? Please report me to the local authorities if you think it is. 

Archived