New Build in Khon Kaen

29 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

About Naam's less tiles.......yes they're not my favourite objects.

If one had a "cut mun" polished cement finish coloured epoxy paint instead of tiles would look good around the shower and splash back areas, kitchen too. Could be painted attractive arty shapes. An occasional scrub same as tiles but no more stained grout etc .......and the slightly expensive paint would be more than offset by no tile and tiling cost.

If epoxy paint is good enough for yachts it's good enough for showers including the floors.

Can buy the good colours or white in 1 litre or only the bigger cans?

There used to be a Jotun shop which made a feature of their multi coloured epoxy floors on the CM Superhwy.......it disappeared.

Where's best now?

Kitchen Back splash can be just congrete but majority tiles it. I only stick greenish tempered glass heat prove behind the stove no tiles backsplash.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Good idea......regular tempered glass 10-12mm?

Its not see trough one side its greenish and one side white.

White side goes to the wall and u will not see the silicone between the glass and the wall only see greenish glass. I was not offered a choice in thickness.

22 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Its not see trough one side its greenish and one side white.

White side goes to the wall and u will not see the silicone between the glass and the wall only see greenish glass. I was not offered a choice in thickness.

Regular green tinted tempered glass is not so expensive.......guessing no more than 3000 for your splash back?......is it similar with white one side?

Adds a touch of class

15 hours ago, sirineou said:

Thanks again for that excellent pipe under the driveway idea.

extending on that thought: power line to the in future electric gate, just in case you need it. 

(we will all come and visit when ready to check that all ideas and thoughts were duly taken into account :drunk: )

4 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Regular green tinted tempered glass is not so expensive.......guessing no more than 3000 for your splash back?......is it similar with white one side?

Adds a touch of class

Yeah u correct about 3k. Its fresh easy and modern solution.. i need to be not see trough otherwise u going to see the glue spots...ur glass alum shop will know

On 12/3/2017 at 5:26 PM, sirineou said:

Thank you for that.  I like it!

I will forward the idea to the wife,

show this to your Mrs and tell her "built with no-no aerated blocks". perhaps she would like this style too? :smile:

p.s. look what all rubbish the Mrs keeps. you think there would be space for my razor and aftershave? :ermm:

bath mrs 1.JPG

Oh , btw. When I laid my pvc pipes under my driveway , paths  and pool pavers before they were laid I used to drop fishing line tied to a weight down them first , then tie off each end of the line at each end of the pipe  ... or more often just squish or pinch  the line with the end caps. The reason being that if I had to pull something thru the pipes later  , like garden lighting cables , it was much easier done by tieing the cable  to the line and pulling it thru  than trying to feed the cable through a long pipe at sub-ground level...

9 hours ago, Naam said:

bath mrs 2.JPG

His & Her toilets? You two are very close. Does she only get to flush when you're done (assuming the bigger basin is for the guy).

(I'm sure there is something I'm missing and those aren't actually 2 commodes....)

5 hours ago, H508 said:

His & Her toilets? You two are very close. Does she only get to flush when you're done (assuming the bigger basin is for the guy).

(I'm sure there is something I'm missing and those aren't actually 2 commodes....)

U wrong here that is one toilet and one bidet beside eachother in that one bathroom actually its very nice.

It will yellow off.

Even yachts have to be sanded back and refinished every few years.

A good tile job without too many 'fashionable' colours or silly picture tiles can last 20 years if properly cleaned . Some classic hotels will demonstrate this.

I like 'brick wall tiles ' in white with a black topping border , but given the growth rate of fungus in the grout in tropical Thailand , Im more for very large tiles virtually butted up to  each other in a natural stone look. But they need careful planning as to the space. They dont look great with lots of cuts. I had a large apartment and the mosaic tiles were very hard work to keep clean with so many grout lines...

4 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

It will yellow off.

A good tile job without too many 'fashionable' colours or silly picture tiles can last 20 years if properly cleaned . Some classic hotels will demonstrate this.

I like 'brick wall tiles ' in white with a black topping border , but given the growth rate of fungus in the grout in tropical Thailand , Im more for very large tiles virtually butted up to  each other in a natural stone look. But they need careful planning as to the space. They dont look great with lots of cuts. I had a large apartment and the mosaic tiles were very hard work to keep clean with so many grout lines...

IMO there are advantages and disadvantages to both schools of thought.

The Painted walls can be easily changed  as styles change but require more maintenance than tiles, where the tiled walls require less maintenance but you are locked in the design for a long long time.

My Personal preference based on my lifestyle, is an all tiled bathroom, This house is not my primary residence . In fact other than for legal terms , after I retire none of my homes will be my primary residence,

The world is a big and interesting place and I don't plan to spend the remaining of my life after I retire at one place. Of course I also keep in mind  the concept of " the best laid plans of man and mice"  and understand that health, economics, or other unforeseen circumstances  can change things.

I try to keep designs simple,  low maintenance and flexible.Especially when it comes to bathrooms where I plan to spend as litle time as possible in.

So, unless the wife says otherwise (I could not care less) the bathrooms will be all tile, my advice to the wife is, Honey, If you go with all tiles, keep it simple, not too trendy, Trends change and you dont want to be stuck with yesterday's trend years from now. And keep it easy to maintain!

My wife is pretty conservative and with other than her choice in husband I trust her opinion..

in That respect I agree with zaZa9 keep grout lines to a minimum. 

I will admite this. Based on my personality, this is the most I have thought about bathrooms in my  life. LOL  Now I need to go watch a football game drink a couple of beers,  and reaffirm my gender identity :tongue: But this has being a good discussion for those who like to think about thing such as this, I am glad we are having it, and I learned a few things.:smile:

13 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

It will yellow off.

I wonder if it will yellow off these days or if an anti UV additive is incorporated.

Going back to the late 80s there was two part epoxy deck paint, matt with some fine grit in it. It was coloured but did not discolour due to the pigment in it and possibly additive. Lasted years. Same goes for Jotun's feature floor and the floors of both Suzuki garages in CM which have epoxy coated workshop floors.......These are not clear but do not discolour.

Also a factor is likely no direct sun on a shower area.

As for tiles I like a classic high quality.......well, Cotto.....40x20 white tile laid vertically. Timeless and still look new. Floor is handmade crackle glaze 6 inch tile but it's true the floor grout needs attention occasionally.

But am I going to be boring all my life.

Lets have some art in the shower!

9 hours ago, cheeryble said:

I wonder if it will yellow off these days or if an anti UV additive is incorporated.

Going back to the late 80s there was two part epoxy deck paint, matt with some fine grit in it. It was coloured but did not discolour due to the pigment in it and possibly additive. Lasted years. Same goes for Jotun's feature floor and the floors of both Suzuki garages in CM which have epoxy coated workshop floors.......These are not clear but do not discolour.

Also a factor is likely no direct sun on a shower area.

As for tiles I like a classic high quality.......well, Cotto.....40x20 white tile laid vertically. Timeless and still look new. Floor is handmade crackle glaze 6 inch tile but it's true the floor grout needs attention occasionally.

But am I going to be boring all my life.

Lets have some art in the shower!

I do like those vertical floor tiles white for in the bathroom. Then what color and size tiles for ur shower walls?

what art? And will u blend in some tiny square tiles on eye level in a different color?

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

I do like those vertical floor tiles white for in the bathroom. Then what color and size tiles for ur shower walls?

what art? And will u blend in some tiny square tiles on eye level in a different color?

I think the choice is tiles OR art.

If tiles I would again use the classic white......plain vanilla classy no little feature tiles and NO tiles with seahorses or dolphins !!!

58 minutes ago, Naam said:

some suggestions:

04365b857279c4ca50553e9f0e41f86f--salvadstill-life-with-rose-by-miro-small.jpgil_340x270.1136943894_umg8.jpg

There are endless possibilities that's what's great.

The banana leaves are by yours truly. 

And i stuck in the classic white tile for Destiny.

In fact the "epoxy shower" could be a collage.....one could even get stuff printed up, stick it on the wall and epoxy over 

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1890.JPG20150831-IMG_1459.jpg

On 12/7/2017 at 12:01 PM, cheeryble said:

I think the choice is tiles OR art.

If tiles I would again use the classic white......plain vanilla classy no little feature tiles and NO tiles with seahorses or dolphins !!!

This might have been covered already in the thread but how many windows do u need? And what is the average amount that u need to pay for a window? (I am talking windows only here not sliding doors leading to a balcony.) What glass did u choose? E-Glass or double glass etc? What window frame u selected wood or pvc and why?

I'm not so sure about this "permanent" art.

If I was stuck with what was on my wall even 15 years ago ...

Framed images can be removed when (not if) tastes change, and I'm usually not in the smallest room long enough to appreciate the fine arts (OK I'm usually reading the "paper").

Archived