What is Roiet like to live in?

bert bloggs

30 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

If you are retiring on a sizeable allotment, there will be enough to keep you busy for a few years (planting and maintaining trees, landscaping trees and ponds etc). I still enjoy cycling 30 - 100 km three times a week. I've got plenty of different fish in my dams. You can stock all those exotics you see in TV shows like 'River Monsters' and 'Extreme Fishing' and indulge in a bit of fishing, or just fish-watching.

Thailand has few import laws and you can keep all sorts of exotic pets if you are into that sort of thing. You can even earn a bit of pocket money selling any babies (from the exotic pets).

One advantage in living in Isan is that the locals aren't habituated so much to tourists and you still get the rock star treatment.

I dont know about the rock star treatment ,but when my wife and i were married , we came over to Thailand and went to stay with her Mum , i was in my late 40s and her mum who is about 15 years older than me and a few friends were giving us a welcoming dinner, one lady said something ,obviously about me and they all laughed , being a bit worried why they were laughing at me i later asked the wife why they were laughing at me , she said they were not laughing at you ,they were talking about you , so why were they laughing i said ,well one of them said"i wouldnt mind his slippers under my bed" ,and another older one said "well get in the q" ,,so Thais do have a sense of humour .

9 hours ago, mfd101 said:

So a great deal depends on what makes you live (extrovert vs introvert). As one of the latter I would say that most of rural Thailand - or indeed rural anywhere - is for introverts, and anthropologists. I have a large library of books (and now a large house designed to house them), so I can go anywhere & live quite cheerfully inside my head.

But most people are not like that. They require 'diversion' to get thru the day ... I imagine that Roi-Et is like Surin in that respect. Not much of it around - just the chooks laying, the mua giving birth, the occasional snake, frequent drunkards to avoid, lot of gossip (particularly about 'rich falang'), low-variety diet ...

Your imagination is, therefore, way off.

Just spent a couple of days here having a look round. Really nice feel to the town. Loved the lake and surrounding restaurants in the evening. Yes, very quiet but I enjoy quiet times. Not too busy and easy to drive about. Will definitely visit again. As for living, I would have to spend a bit more time here but I wouldnt rule it out. 

On 25.9.2017 at 9:49 AM, tilaceer said:

White Elephant closed....Roi Et City Hotel closed....

Do you know why the White Elephant is closed? I heard it from friends of mine in Roi-Et but nobody seems to know why. They mentioned the owner got problems with the police and that she got arrested. 

8 hours ago, hanuman2543 said:

Do you know why the White Elephant is closed? I heard it from friends of mine in Roi-Et but nobody seems to know why. They mentioned the owner got problems with the police and that she got arrested. 

Statement above is rubbish, don't listen to grapevine gossip.

One of the few minus points about Roi-Et is the endless bar talk scandal gossip from those who have nothing else to occupy themselves with and most of this stems from the associated kept women.  JMHO.

Long term its hopeless living away from a place without a few ferangs. .i love living around Krabi , can allway pop out for a Beer , chat with nice tourists , not cranky old sods stuck Up Country where im stuck now for a while.!?[emoji481]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Statement above is rubbish, don't listen to grapevine gossip.

One of the few minus points about Roi-Et is the endless bar talk scandal gossip from those who have nothing else to occupy themselves with and most of this stems from the associated kept women.  JMHO.

Agree, Klaus retired due to ill health and his daughter took the place over. With a large restaurant employing 3 chefs and decreasing numbers of tourists/visitors, it was decided to close down (unfortunately)

Back on topic, although I have never lived in Roi Et, it seems (as a visitor) a nice place to live IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived