Trump clashes with sports world over player protests, invitation

rooster59

14 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

Trump has done everything in his power to destroy democracy in the USA , and he is by far from finished. The totally amazing thing is he actually has a sizeable group of people who blindly follow him. It is insane. If a guy wants to take a knee then leave him, don't make a fuss, ignore it and he will stop. Don't tell me that sportsman is disrespecting his country, flag, constitution etc when you are openly supporting one of the biggest traitors since Judas. YOU are showing far more disrespect for the USA and the Flag by supporting Trump than the guy taking a knee.  Is it disrespectful for a President who has never believed in a God or Jesus to be 'pretending' to be a follower of Jesus and now leading prayers with evangelicals because he wants their votes? Is it not more respectful if you are a non believer to simply stay silent during prayers, and not state in a speech to the UN that the US will achieve under our God !! I have a bridge for sale in London and I know there are around 30 million people in the USA I could sell it to......gullible Trump supporters.

Thank you. 

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

. .  Is it disrespectful for a President who has never believed in a God or Jesus to be 'pretending' to be a follower of Jesus and now leading prayers with evangelicals because he wants their votes? Is it not more respectful if you are a non believer to simply stay silent during prayers, and not state in a speech to the UN that the US will achieve under our God !! I have a bridge for sale in London and I know there are around 30 million people in the USA I could sell it to......gullible Trump supporters.

......................Youve lost me .

So many comparisons , and various topics , that I cannot really follow what you mean

If anyone has the time they should browse the Code of Conduct for the Flag. There is no mention at all of standing or kneeling being 'disrespectful'. The whole episode serves to show what a fool the man in the White House is....he is the loser here as most reasonable people do see the police as shooting far too many unarmed black people and no one in power is doing anything about it. He is playing to the redneck NASCAR watchers, rabid patriots to a man and lower middle income....people that should understand that their virulent patriotism has absolutely nothing tangible to show for it.

Ditch Trump. 

Liberals know best.  Forget borders. Taxes should directly and immediately go to people without jobs. Also to people who never saved for retirement. For those that have been lucky enough to afford everything.  Let em protest.  Let them give there stupid mass money away.

In Cuba. Football players make the big bucks. 

2 minutes ago, retarius said:

If anyone has the time they should browse the Code of Conduct for the Flag. There is no mention at all of standing or kneeling being 'disrespectful'. 

It is quite clearly a show of *Disrespect, protest, disdain** or whatever you want to call it 

Are you suggesting that it isnt ?

8 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Ditch Trump. 

Liberals know best.  Forget borders. Taxes should directly and immediately go to people without jobs. Also to people who never saved for retirement. For those that have been lucky enough to afford everything.  Let em protest.  Let them give there stupid mass money away.

In Cuba. Football players make the big bucks. 

If thaivisa had a forum for ADD sufferers, I would direct you to it.

1 hour ago, selftaopath said:

What's remarkable is he can remain silent a/b all the crap his regime has done but bitch a/b so many other things. Is he bitching e.g. that his SIN used his personal email account discussing WH items? Or how a/b how long he allowed Flynn to remain after being warned he was a foreign agent? And now he wants to forget that and focus on people who want to see police responsible for killing unarmed Americans? lol He is the biggest 21st century joke. 

clown.jpg

Sorry it should have been SIL (son in law) not SIN. lol My bad.

5 minutes ago, retarius said:

. The whole episode serves to show what a fool the man in the White House is....he is the loser here as most reasonable people do see the police as shooting far too many unarmed black people and no one in power is doing anything about it. 

What did Obama do about it in his 8 years as POTUS ?

Where were the protests when Obama was POTUS ?

Americans do seem to like guns and to like shooting people .

Its not just a racial and Police issue , its U.S. society as a whole

17 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You put in quotation marks "Very fine people" with a photo of a guy with a swastika flag .

Who was you actually quoting ?

Who said that the Nazis were "Very fine people :"?

What "was" you actually talking about?

I didn't put quotes on anything.

:coffee1:

4 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

So in that case it's just about being extremely rude in public?

You were comparing an irrelevant song (jingle bells) or a song that has relevance.

You were also comparing an act of showing disrespect (knelling)  to an act of non-disrespect (ignoring).

Your comparison was an irrelevant comparison. 

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You were comparing an irrelevant song (jingle bells) or a song that has relevance.

You were also comparing an act of showing disrespect (knelling)  to an act of non-disrespect (ignoring).

Your comparison was an irrelevant comparison. 

So instead of kneeling if an athlete or player was simply to ignore the national anthem by remaining seated, that wouldn't qualify as disrespectful?

1 minute ago, iReason said:

What "was" you actually talking about?

I didn't put quotes on anything.

:coffee1:

You posted a photo of a guy with a swastika flag with the quote "Very fine people" and I asked you who said that the Nazis were "very fine people" because it was written in quotation marks .

Who said it ?

22 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You put in quotation marks "Very fine people" with a photo of a guy with a swastika flag .

Who was you actually quoting ?

Who said that the Nazis were "Very fine people :"?

Whoever put the quotes there "was" actually quoting Donald J Trump, the man you support who tells us that there are "very fine people" in the Nazi groups. So if you want to continue supporting him then do so, but why not go somewhere else where your support for a traitor will be appreciated.

1 minute ago, ilostmypassword said:

So instead of kneeling if an athlete or player was simply to ignore the national anthem by remaining seated, that wouldn't qualify as disrespectful?

It would, yes .

The general protocol is to stand up when a N/A is being played .

Please do not make up another scenario , like *If I was sitting in a shop and they played the Belgium Nation anthem, should I stand up *

Because that isnt the subject of discussion

The NFL pays players to play.  It is not a forum for demonstrations or complaints.  These players get paid a lot, and should focus on the job they are being paid for.  How much personal protests should be allowed?  Save it for the press conference.  Personal protests can get out of hand.  Every single person that has some greivance or that was ever treated badly by some person or some agency or some group could go out and make a demonstration about something. Every player of American Indian origin.  every Asian, heck every player that was fat and big in elementary school, etc.  Get back to the sport please

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

It would, yes .

Please do not make up another scenario , like *If I was sitting in a shop and they played the Belgium Nation anthem, should I stand up *

But you just wrote that ignoring the national anthem wouldn't be disrespectful.

"You were also comparing an act of showing disrespect (knelling)  to an act of non-disrespect(ignoring)."

So to continue sitting would be to ignore it. If you stood up for it, then you wouldn't be ignoring it.

Am I missing something?

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It would, yes .

Protocol is one thing, actively demonstrating is another. I am old and I served in the military but I have no desire to stand just because many other people do.

4 hours ago, FreddieRoyle said:

This is the equivalent of refusing to stand up in the cinema during Thai national anthem. It is a cross between hatred for their homeland and bad manners verging on plain stupidity. I would have them all fired, until decorum returns to sport. Sad fact is these guys are not employed for their brains - they are just physically fit. I know a medic, physio trainer working for one of the UK's premier footy teams, he said they are all as "daft as a brush". They deserve a salary in line with your average WalMart shelf stocker.

1 - As far as I have seen, none of the NFL players have claimed they would not stand for the Thai national anthem being played in a cinema.

2 - Standing, holding hands over their heart, or even being present on the field during the US national anthem is a matter of conscience as well as freedom of expression.

3 - To "have them all fired", you would need the cooperation of every NFL club owner, the NFLPA, and some way to break all those existing contracts -- good luck!

4 - So some UK "footy" medic and physio trainer has run intelligence tests on thousands of US NFL players? Sure, sparky.

1 minute ago, gk10002000 said:

The NFL pays players to play.  It is not a forum for demonstrations or complaints.  These players get paid a lot, and should focus on the job they are being paid for.  How much personal protests should be allowed?  Save it for the press conference.  Personal protests can get out of hand.  Every single person that has some greivance or that was ever treated badly by some person or some agency or some group could go out and make a demonstration about something. Every player of American Indian origin.  every Asian, heck every player that was fat and big in elementary school, etc.  Get back to the sport please

I agree, Professional sports should be about sports. What does the national anthem have to do with football?

3 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

Whoever put the quotes there "was" actually quoting Donald J Trump, the man you support who tells us that there are "very fine people" in the Nazi groups. 

Trump did not say that .

He didnt say that the Nazis were "very fine people"

He condemned the Neo-Nazis at the protest and said that there were some "fine people" at the protest (not the Nazis)

“I’ve condemned neo-Nazis. I’ve condemned many different groups. But not all of those people were neo-Nazis, believe me,” he said.

“You had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white nationalists,” Trump said. “The press has treated them absolutely unfairly.”

Just now, gk10002000 said:

Protocol is one thing, actively demonstrating is another. I am old and I served in the military but I have no desire to stand just because many other people do.

Ok but if you were sitting and your friends coffin was going past would you stand out of respect?  (assuming you were not wheelchair bound). Standing for the anthem is not about a particular POTUS it's about respecting your country.

43 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Exactly, nothing to do with Trump, he should stay out of this. And if he really, really wants to get involved he should do so with respect to others, not resort to name calling.

Maybe 45 could start to show respect for the office of the President of The United States first.

The nazi leader and Groper surpreme..jpeg

Regardless of Trump's unique character and performance so far as POTUS, and all the other little darlings like May, Merkel, Macron, Xi, Putin etc etc.

And regardless of your own personal political views, 

don't you get pissed off by all these very very well paid rich entertainers, sports people, singers, actors and actresses, authors, etc who seem to think they've been somehow chosen to tell the rest of us, the "us" that they've been paid by, on what we should do, what we should think and what's acceptable and what's not?

<deleted> - they've been given a very privileged life and now want to ram their own political views down our throats as if they are indeed the "special" ones.

I couldn't give a toss what some highly paid American jock does when they play his national anthem - or if his boss fires him for it. But it is more likely to stir division than heal it.

And we think we're the developed world!

Archived