Small Electrical Gadget repairs

JAG

I have a Sony Minidisc Walkman recorder which needs repair. The battery housing has become clogged up by gunk from a leaking battery, and some of the little copper conducting strips damaged. I should imagine that the rest of the "innards" are all right (I cannot find the mains transformer to test it, so if it can be repaired I will have to buy one as well).

I know it is "old technology" but I want to use it for a project at school - P6 are making "radio news" as part of their English lessons next semester.

Does anyone know of a "Repairer" operating in the Chiang Rai area?

Can't advise on that area but suspect you need a TV repair type shop for the walkman - expect there should be some such place still open - still have some local shops in my area of Bangkok.

For fan a general electric repair person might be found outside fresh market areas as they need low rent to make a profit.

Indeed at the low costs of most Chinese made goods these days repair, unless you do yourself for fun, is a dying art.

Do you have an Amorn store near you,thats the store that sells all the Chinese

made stuff,they also have a repair department in the shop,they will be able to

fix the fan,the Sony walkman,I dont think so,maybe a computer repair guy would

be the best choice.

regards worgeordie

I go to the shop just past dunlop going north on the super highway .I dont know the name of it , but about 50 metres past . they sell stereo and speakers , remotes anything electrical , washing machines parts  fridge amps. everything .they have a service section at the back .I have taken everything there to be fixed.

oh , the name is chumpol electric ......

I took my fan into Thai Watsadu last Monday which was where I had bought it, I called back on Friday as I had not heard from them and the guy who took it was not around, no one else seemed to know what I was talking about.

I was barely home and the guy rang me and said it was ready, it had needed a new motor.

I picked it up today and it's working perfectly, no charge, still under guarantee.

I was quite satisfied as I had long lost any paperwork.

Glad you got that fixed Scea. I was going to chime in with the name of a shop where I got my fan fixed but it only lasted a month and it ready to be picked up again. The big story will be if they want to be paid again or if the repair of the repair was gratis. Care to make a bet? but that said I have taken other things there and happy with the service so will just have to see in the next day or so when I go to pick it up. He either replaced the motor or rewound it. Will report when I know.

Randell

I took it to Thai Watsadu only because they were the original supplier, it turned out to be lucky they still had the number on record and it was under guarantee.

I've also heard good reports about Chumpol Electric near Big C.

Personally, if it was a cheap fan and I suspected it was the motor causing the problem I'd be inclined to buy a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a brief note of conclusion on my fan saga. as it turned out all the original advice I was give was more true than I had originally  thought. But if the fan was 1000 baht or more worth fixing if not then the cost isn't warranted. My original fix only lasted a month but then he completely rewrapped or changed out the motor and I have a new fan again but my original cost was high at 390.baht and the repair of the repair was 200. Which brought me to the original cost of the fan in the first place. And if the fan lasts as long as it first did I will be happy. But it seems the cost to fix and rewire or wrap don't depend on size or cost of the original fan. I saw a big 20in pedestal fan and the repair bill was the same as smaller version.  So I have learned a lot with this thread about  the bigger shops that do repairs . So my thanks for all the advise.

Randell

• 3 weeks later...

I had my Sony Walkman repairer by Sinthanee (along the highway -same side as Big C). Go all the way to the back (Not the main showroom). There is a small shop that receives items for repair. You will be asked to pay a small fee upfront - because the item is sent to Chiang Mai. If repair cost is large, they will give you a call to confirm if you agree with the cost. Best if you speak Thai to prevent mix ups.

Good luck.

Archived