Heading back after 6 years...

NobleELT

...feels like a lifetime, though. It's been great, but there's a lot to miss as well. 

How are things, TV Teaching in Thailand forum section people? :smile:

It seems pretty quiet around here, but hey..I know you're out there!...here's a handful of questions for ya. Pick and choose, ignore the rest, whatever: 

1. What would you say are some major changes in Thailand ELT in the last while from where you're sitting? (+/-)

2. I came back and did an MA TESOL, gained more English teaching experience in a variety of contexts here in the states (a lot of refreshing aspects once you're out of the Thai classroom bubble!), and got involved in teacher training. Also been presenting at conferences, serving on boards and committees, you know...being a professional teacher person to a large degree (my CV is here). So upon my return I'll be looking for university positions and similar. Have a number of warm irons here and there, but nothing solid yet. Enough preamble - the question is: what's on the grapevine? Do you have/know any positions that might be of interest? I'm activating my (remaining) network, trawling the net, and preparing to hit the ground running!

3. Anybody on here been around the forums for a long time? I was on the old blue teaching forum (and others along the way) from 2005 to 2012 or so, and occasionally on here...any old forum heads around to say hi? ;) Let me know! It'd be a kick to find a few familiar virtual faces in the woodwork. 

4. One more while I'm here: what, from where you're sitting, is the market like for opening smaller sized language schools? Any expert or non-expert advice welcomed, just thinking about things generally as a future interest. 

Well...that's all folks. Hope things are going well wherever you are. I was back in April for a couple weeks and got to visit the king's memorial. That was nice. The big ceremony is happening soon, isn't it? How's the street food 'clean-up' going? Back in April things on the sidewalks in central Bangkok definitely felt more spaced out. I guess it was a good thing. You could still find street food along the way. 

I'll also mention that I'll be in Korea from November through most of January, and then plan to be at ThaiTESOL in Chiang Mai in late January. Anybody planning to be there? 

Once again, please do reach out if you or someone you know is looking for a dedicated, flexible, creative, and mature English language teacher or trainer, curriculum/materials developer, etc. I'm all in! :wai:

Oh, random bonus question: is DK Books still the best place to buy ELT books and materials in Bangkok? I know there's Chula as well, Kinokuniya to some degree. Just wondering if there's a new/better resource these days. Always liked DK Books, but spent way too much there. Not cheap, but I've always valued reading and learning as a teacher, as well as having lots of materials of my own to use and draw from.  

This is getting long. Matthew out! :sleepy:

n.o 2. If you have an MA Tesol and a bachelor degree you might get a job at a University. Have you done any academic research? Is it published?

If you had to write a 10,000 word assignment for your MA you should try and get it published in a journal to then put it on your Resume. It will help you get a job at a University. 

Other than that you could maybe try to get a job in one of the mid-tier international schools. 

Good luck. 

I find that the Unis don't advertise much (unlike the schools). When I worked at the Big C in town, I had a student/friend there take my CV to the under-boss of TEFL.

I had 2 MAs but one was an MBA. Nothing in TEFL apart from CELTA and a Business English trainer cert. No research published. Not a "real" QTS teacher so the Int. Schools not interested: they had enough real teachers.

An MATESOL would beat an MSc in Physics (despite the latter's rigour), but I know plenty of teachers at the top 4 unis who have "only" a BA and sometimes not a CELTA. Publishing your thesis might be difficult and take months. I don't know anybody apart from Thai MAs and PhDs who do that. It might help immensely to do it, but it's not common here for farang unless you already hold tenure or something quite grand somewhere and you have a stack of publications. I have always laughed at my MD friends (medics) who claim 56 research papers when each piece of research has 6 doctors who mainly gave some stats and didn't even write the abstract. Old boys' club.

My only caveat (?or lack of current knowledge) is that I was doing all this about 12 years ago. I am aware that all unis want a BA and CELTA now (minimum)--but I hear occasionally of plumbers and backpackers who land jobs in fan-ventilated schools in Isaan. I'm not sure whether things have changed massively. 

Eddy

On 9/24/2017 at 7:34 PM, davidst01 said:

Have you done any academic research? Is it published?

I haven't published traditional academic research in peer-reviewed (or non-peer reviewed) journals. I've written for teachers' association newsletters, institutional blogs, etc. that's all. Presented at conferences with reference to action research. It's something I do regret not having under my belt yet.

On 9/24/2017 at 7:34 PM, davidst01 said:

If you had to write a 10,000 word assignment for your MA you should try and get it published in a journal to then put it on your Resume. It will help you get a job at a University. 

My MA had the option of thesis or project. I chose project and produced a unique and creative sort text that I intend to turn into a book in the future (I'm way behind on this as the moment). Without going into detail here, unfortunately it's not something that not every traditional academic will instantly and easily recognize as something worth giving me that kind of credit for. That said, those who will, will absolutely recognize my knowledge base and clear focus in the area of teacher learning and reflective practice. 

Thanks for the reply, David!

On 9/24/2017 at 8:33 PM, pauleddy said:

I find that the Unis don't advertise much (unlike the schools).

Very true. It really is a word-of-mouth, right place right time kind of thing. Luckily I have a few contacts here and there, but nothing I can really count on as a 'hook up'. 

On 9/24/2017 at 8:33 PM, pauleddy said:

My only caveat (?or lack of current knowledge) is that I was doing all this about 12 years ago. I am aware that all unis want a BA and CELTA now (minimum)--but I hear occasionally of plumbers and backpackers who land jobs in fan-ventilated schools in Isaan. I'm not sure whether things have changed massively. 

Right. I have seen some university employed folks who...well, they weren't qualified at all in the ways you'd expect. I'm not really judging, as I don't have time and energy to waste on it - and I know that its all relative. There's also, as you imply, a lot of variance in university environments across the land. Definitely appreciate your perspective Paul! Thanks a lot. 

18 hours ago, Mister T said:

Welcome back old boy, bit warmer than Boston?

Hey mate! How's things. Yes, well right now Seattle is still very warm - and so is Boston, my folks back there say. Korea in Nov-Jan should be nice and nippy. Unless there are bombs to warm us up. Trump is really helping to keep this whole Korean peninsula plan interesting. Of all the places I could escape to in order to forget about the insane child in charge back home, eh? 

Hope things are good. Love seeing some of the oooold names around. :partytime2:

7 hours ago, NobleELT said:

Hope things are good. Love seeing some of the oooold names around. :partytime2:

Some don't use the user names they used on AF, TD, SZ, RPF or TTA. You're not different, Matthew,

Anyways, welcome back to Thailand.

3 hours ago, Mister T said:

All good here mate, retired to the beach about 2 hours south of Mr Stamp. :stoner:

Hooroo, Mister T.

13 hours ago, aidenai said:

Some don't use the user names they used on AF, TD, SZ, RPF or TTA.

Yup, I assume so. Look at that graveyard of forums. TD is still up isn't it. Thanks for the reminder. 

13 hours ago, aidenai said:

You're not different, Matthew

What do you mean by that? :blink:

17 hours ago, Mister T said:

All good here mate, retired to the beach about 2 hours south of Mr Stamp.

Well that sounds F#$&%ING grand. :clap2:

So, you're maybe kinda sorta looking for work maybe 3-4 months from now?

And what are you after? A university position? Of course you know they pay much less than public school teaching?

Lots of crud posted up on Aj daily. It's almost become a narrative of where not to work. "The usual suspects" comes quickly to mind. Schools and agencies that simply can't retain teachers.

BTW Kasetsart has posted again, uni with a brand but it's the third position posted in less than a year. But it's open NOW.

I know a few good schools looking for teachers as well.

5 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

So, you're maybe kinda sorta looking for work maybe 3-4 months from now?

Yes, a February start? My wife is urging me to take a break. If she wins, March. Well, I do need to remind myself about the Thai educational calendar (off to do that). Having taught there for 6+ years, I felt I'd have that etched into my brain forever. :sleepy: 

And what are you after? A university position? Of course you know they pay much less than public school teaching?

Absolutely. But I'd like the context in order to do action research, have time for writing, etc. and I'm enterprising - I'd go out for all kinds of editing, tutoring, extra class work. Not to mention working on a longer-term plan to design a program and open a school. 

Lots of crud posted up on Aj daily. It's almost become a narrative of where not to work. "The usual suspects" comes quickly to mind. Schools and agencies that simply can't retain teachers.

Well said. I do keep an eye on it but it really is full of junk - just the occasional standout.

BTW Kasetsart has posted again, uni with a brand but it's the third position posted in less than a year. But it's open NOW.

My wife is a Kaset university grad, I used to do evening/weekend slots at the lang. center in the Dept of Humanities, and know teachers (through my wife) at the lab school (I assume it's the satit program hiring?). Thanks for the info - it's definitely on my radar.

You do see schools posting over and over and wonder what's going on. 

Thanks a lot for the response. If I may, I'd love to PM you a bit later (I realize I'm absolutely NOT likely to line something but this far in advance...we're talking about Thailand) in the hopes you'll share some of your 'intel' on openings at good programs. 

:wai:

Horses and courses. I know a guy who went to Mandalay last year. The kids are great but the electric supply is wonky. The money is about the same in that it matches the cost of living there, but it is less---so you cannot hope to save for your dotage. I guess you could open an English school and do well, even if it was a Brit Colony. 

13 minutes ago, pauleddy said:

Horses and courses. I know a guy who went to Mandalay last year. The kids are great but the electric supply is wonky. The money is about the same in that it matches the cost of living there, but it is less---so you cannot hope to save for your dotage. I guess you could open an English school and do well, even if it was a Brit Colony. 

Fair comment.  Yes, I was thinking about OP opening a school.  Thailand is surely a spent force in this respect, if only because the domestic economy continues to slump.  But as we know there is more to it than that.

I know 2 teachers who came over from Rangoon a couple of months ago, but insist they earn far more in Myanamar- they were earning 43,000 in Thailand but only for 9 months a year, and there were no frills.  But what you say could equally apply according to teaching status, available vacancies, etc.

I appreciate that Myanmar is full of opportunity, but I won't be moving there. I've been married to my Thai wife for 7 years (together for 11) and we're also moving back to Thailand to reunite with the extended Thai side of the family. I've been to Myanmar and definitely enjoyed the visit but as exciting as it may be I'm long past following the TEFL train wherever the best action happens to be. It's a whole different game when starting a family is a major part of your outlook. 

8 minutes ago, NobleELT said:

I appreciate that Myanmar is full of opportunity, but I won't be moving there. I've been married to my Thai wife for 7 years (together for 11) and we're also moving back to Thailand to reunite with the extended Thai side of the family. I've been to Myanmar and definitely enjoyed the visit but as exciting as it may be I'm long past following the TEFL train wherever the best action happens to be. It's a whole different game when starting a family is a major part of your outlook. 

Obviously, you are extremely well qualified and can have virtually any ESL job you want.  Generally, I would say salaries have stagnated and the cost of living risen fairly dramatically within the last 6 years.  There have also been Teaching License changes, but I believe you will not be effected due to your qualifications.

Frankly, I don't think it is a good move, having done this myself, unless you can secure 70000 baht per month.  And I would rather be bringing up my kid in UK.  But I am a natural pessimist.

I'm pretty confident I can generate 70k per month, as I was able to do so throughout most of the 6.5 years I taught in Thailand pre-MA TESOL and really knowing what I was doing. But I completely understand your point of view and I've watched, since I've been away (and before I left, for sure), the gradual - and in some areas not so gradual - inflation and changes in Thailand life economically. 

So you're back in the UK now? 

It's entirely possible that once we have children (or when they're school-aged) the whole equation will change. But that's one phase ahead of our current one. 

The money is about the same in that it matches the cost of living there, but it is less---so you cannot hope to save for your dotage.

Salaries in Myanmar (for the same type of teaching role in Thailand) are usually higher.  I earn about 100,000 THB per month as a KG/primary grades teacher in a private school. 

In Thailand, I can't even get a teaching job because those same type of schools refuse to employ someone of my age (58).

Their loss LoL

I have had a good 13 years here but it does seem that the salaries, even in Unis, are still 30-35,000 unless you get super extra hours doing "international" classes at 3,000/hr.

I left the Uni 3 or 4 years ago, as I was offered a project converting some Gvment exams to CEFR format and grading. That work has now ended. At 62, I want to find another Uni job.

I know farangs 65 or 70 in Uni jobs.

Is there any legal cut-off for farang at schools or unis? I think Thais must retire at 60.

Eddy

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know a lot about that. I'm 39 so, luckily, don't really need to worry about that until later. I feel for you though - hopefully by the time I'm in that age bracket some of the ageism will be less of a thing. 

Leaving for S. Korea in a couple of weeks. 

On 9/30/2017 at 4:01 PM, pauleddy said:

I have had a good 13 years here but it does seem that the salaries, even in Unis, are still 30-35,000 unless you get super extra hours doing "international" classes at 3,000/hr.

I left the Uni 3 or 4 years ago, as I was offered a project converting some Gvment exams to CEFR format and grading. That work has now ended. At 62, I want to find another Uni job.

I know farangs 65 or 70 in Uni jobs.

Is there any legal cut-off for farang at schools or unis? I think Thais must retire at 60.

Eddy

My uni won't consider new hires over 60 and does not renew contracts for foreign teachers once they are 60.

18 hours ago, pearciderman said:

My uni won't consider new hires over 60 and does not renew contracts for foreign teachers once they are 60.

If they like your work and you're integrated into the Thai way.... ways are found to keep you...60 plus...  However, they do like to hide behind institutional racism...and it all depends...some places take 20% of your base salary and start you at that rate... and some even start you all over...  In the end, it is your call.   cheers mate.

There is no age cap in private Thai schools - though it's up to a particular school if they want to hire someone over 60 y.o. There are 2 teachers in my school over 65 y.o. One is closer to 70 now. I don't know how they do it lol

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2017 at 2:00 PM, simon43 said:

Salaries in Myanmar (for the same type of teaching role in Thailand) are usually higher.  I earn about 100,000 THB per month as a KG/primary grades teacher in a private school. 

In Thailand, I can't even get a teaching job because those same type of schools refuse to employ someone of my age (58).

Their loss LoL

Agreed.... but you have dealt with it.

Archived