Retirement dreams on Chiang Mai "Hi-So Hill" shattered as foreigner pensioners conned into buying forestry land

webfact

13 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I feel bad for the fellow retirees losing their nest eggs. Personally, I would never depend on someone on the internet to be honest, especially someone selling real estate or cars. I would have definitely had an attorney I can trust check out such a deal. 

I think investigation is warrented into how the builders could encroach onto government property. Again I am sorry for the retirees. 

There is more to the story allegedly. A corrupt government official supposedly facilitated parceling the land up for the developers and subsequently the " legit officials" uncovered the deception of selling off National Park land and revoked the previous official's scam. The retirees thought they were purchasing legal properties and became the unwitting victims of the deal between the corrupt official and the developer. As said this was told to me and I can't validate it, but if it's true it sort of explains the retirees unfortunate circumstances.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

How u know what ownership structure exactly these farangs have chosen for their villas? seems to me that u don't know nothing about that and it doesnt even matter. 

"foreigner pensioners conned into buying forestry land"

Says it all. Buy land, not lease land, and not buy a company. Foreigners got conned, not Thais or Thai wives of foreigners.

2 hours ago, backinthesaddle said:

Here's what you need to know about this debacle rip-off and how it was orchestrated: Everyone and I mean EVERYONE from the damn police at all levels including the DSI, local, provincial and National govt's, AND the worst culprits are the banks, especially banks beginning in K as they had to have been involved in the "finance & mechanics" of funding, don't forget the land office who may have issued dodgy chanotes, ignored falsified docs, the list is endless of complicit co-conspirators who in aggregate have put the big hurt / scam into cash bearing foreigners and now all that's left is the laughable so called lawyers ALSO complicit in this scheme, promising swift justice in a thai court room, full of other complicit scammers who couldn't give a rats ass about a few wealthy farangs who have been royally screwed to the bone.

One of 100 encroachment cases in Chiang Mai...

You probably need political muscles to corrupt so extensively and deeply.

Another vomit inducing situation. Land of smiles? Land of disgusted wretching. I reckon Thailand will soon be paying  the happy hippy karma piper  by something like being totally annexed by China within 5 years. Oh the outrage. There would probably be an improvement in the sea of infinite unending corruption based horrors that we all shrug off due to becoming numb, tho no beer on the beach at Pattaya and probably spell the end of your torrid strip club rampages. Oh well, there's always Cambadia and the Archypelargo of the Poleypines, innit?

35 minutes ago, trogers said:

"foreigner pensioners conned into buying forestry land"

Says it all. Buy land, not lease land, and not buy a company. Foreigners got conned, not Thais or Thai wives of foreigners.

U make wrong assumptions no foreigner can buy land these elderly folks dont look so silly. If u lease land u also buy it if u usefruct a land u also buy it just temporarily. U believe these journalists got all the correct  facts ?? Much more to the story.

On 9/25/2017 at 4:31 AM, trogers said:

Foxes got conned?

They know they cannot own land in Thailand but tried ways to go around that hurdle. So, who have the last laugh?

This is the critical item.

They will point to how it has been done successfully elsewhere etc. but it is all shady and bogus whatever people say. All lies and smoke with mirrors but fools rush in.

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

A slave? I bought a house here 8 years ago, I live in it with my partner, I enjoy the fact I can do anything I want in terms of decoration, garden, improvements etc, with no landlord dictating. Don't see myself as a slave. Certainly better than living in a box in a condo block.

Living in a box? Allow me to educate you on the benefits:

1/ I have a much larger swimming pool than any private house could afford. Maintenance is not my problem.

2/ I don't have to worry about being burgled. Nothing more anonymous than a condo apartment.

3/ Landlord has supplied all the decorations. He's changed the furnishings a couple of times to suit my requirements.

4/ Views over the Ping River, close to hospital, shops, markets.

5/ Yes, I rent. The capital I saved not buying a house here covers that with a couple of share dividends.

6/ Something breaks down, the landlord's agent fixes it. Rates, property insurance - not my problem.

7/ Gardens around the condo - not my problem.

Personally, I regard gardening as a pain in the bum. If gardening is your thing, however, try this link:

http://www.chiangmaieroticgarden.com/

Have a nice day.

37 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Have a nice day.

Still living in a box however you cut it, so you can put your "benefits" where the sun don't shine.. In 8 years I have saved myself 2.4 million baht in rent by buying, another 4 and the house will have cost me nothing.  Never had a burglary in 8 years either.

6 hours ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

Another vomit inducing situation. Land of smiles? Land of disgusted wretching. I reckon Thailand will soon be paying  the happy hippy karma piper  by something like being totally annexed by China within 5 years. Oh the outrage. There would probably be an improvement in the sea of infinite unending corruption based horrors that we all shrug off due to becoming numb, tho no beer on the beach at Pattaya and probably spell the end of your torrid strip club rampages. Oh well, there's always Cambadia and the Archypelargo of the Poleypines, innit?

stop smoking that stuff .....

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Still living in a box however you cut it, so you can put your "benefits" where the sun don't shine.. In 8 years I have saved myself 2.4 million baht in rent by buying, another 4 and the house will have cost me nothing.  Never had a burglary in 8 years either.

Think of this. In any kind of emergency, I can be out of my condo in 24 hours. You, on the other hand, are stuck with an illiquid asset which may take you months or years to sell. Given the quality of real estate agents here, it will probably be years, and also at a selling price much less than you expected.

No need to get hostile or defensive just because I think differently to you.

8 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Think of this. In any kind of emergency, I can be out of my condo in 24 hours. You, on the other hand, are stuck with an illiquid asset which may take you months or years to sell. Given the quality of real estate agents here, it will probably be years, and also at a selling price much less than you expected.

No need to get hostile or defensive just because I think differently to you.

I'm here for the long haul, Thailand is home to me, don't plan on ever selling either, so your points are not applicable.  You are happy with box living, I prefer the comforts of a house, end of story.

1 hour ago, Naam said:

and you enjoy swimming in the pee of other people 

I've seen some private swimming pools and the way they're maintained, especially after the thrill wears off.  I'd swim in my apartment's pool before I'd trust many of them...

But never a public hot tub...  Not since 30+ years ago when I saw a group of 6 guys in the apartment hot tub slamming back 2 cases of beer over an afternoon without ever once getting out to pee.  Haven't dipped a toe in one since that day in Corpus Christi, Texas.

3 hours ago, bazza73 said:

1/ I have a much larger swimming pool than any private house could afford. Maintenance is not my problem.

2/ I don't have to worry about being burgled. Nothing more anonymous than a condo apartment.

3/ Landlord has supplied all the decorations. He's changed the furnishings a couple of times to suit my requirements.

4/ Views over the Ping River, close to hospital, shops, markets.

5/ Yes, I rent. The capital I saved not buying a house here covers that with a couple of share dividends.

6/ Something breaks down, the landlord's agent fixes it. Rates, property insurance - not my problem.

7/ Gardens around the condo - not my problem.

Personally, I regard gardening as a pain in the bum. If gardening is your thing, however, try this link:

http://www.chiangmaieroticgarden.com/

Have a nice day.

Your choice I don't want to live in acondominium even with views of the dirty brown Ping River, not interested in swimming,but love gardening and have fantastic close views of the nearby mountains, no neighbors, have good hospital supermarkets etc

Each to their own thankfully we are all different

56 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Your choice I don't want to live in acondominium even with views of the dirty brown Ping River, not interested in swimming,but love gardening and have fantastic close views of the nearby mountains, no neighbors, have good hospital supermarkets etc

Each to their own thankfully we are all different

Yes, we are all different. Personally, I regard gardening as on a par with root canal therapy. Swimming is excellent cardiovascular exercise.

2 hours ago, bazza73 said:
4 hours ago, giddyup said:

no need to present irrelevant drivel. most people live in homes because they prefer that specific comfortable environment to a condo and they have no plans selling.

23 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Yes, we are all different. Personally, I regard gardening as on a par with root canal therapy. Swimming is excellent cardiovascular exercise.

I have a beautiful garden, courtesy of the missus, it's her pride and joy, although I do run a mower over the lawn once a month. Takes me 30 minute, whew! where do I find the time?

15 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

The last root canal therapy I had fixed the tooth problem and didn't cause me any great anguish maybe looking up into the beautiful brown eyes of the female  Thai dentist took my mind off the procedure

Had a full health check recently heart ok Dr said blood pressure excellent

Perhaps the relaxation and stress free gardening helps

Each to our own as long as it keeps us happy and alive

1 hour ago, impulse said:
3 hours ago, Naam said:

and you enjoy swimming in the pee of other people 

I've seen some private swimming pools and the way they're maintained, especially after the thrill wears off.  I'd swim in my apartment's pool before I'd trust many of them...

there are pools and there are pools. in 11 years the thrill of our pool has not worn off. :smile:

pool1.JPG

pool2.JPG

pool3.JPG

6 minutes ago, Naam said:

no need to present irrelevant drivel. most people live in homes because they prefer that specific comfortable environment to a condo and they have no plans selling.

Exactly, lived in the equivalent of a condominium in Australia for a couple of years before we could afford a house not my style of living houses ever since but know others who like that style of living

I cannot understand the hype that goes on with this debate houses v condominiums it's like the debate on cars Toyota v Ford v Isuzu etc

Its my money I will buy and live where I wish and the only plans I have for moving is when they take me up the road to the local crematorium which   I might add I hope isn't anytime soon !!!!

1 minute ago, StevieAus said:

Its my money I will buy and live where I wish and the only plans I have for moving is when they take me up the road to the local crematorium which   I might add I hope isn't anytime soon !!!!

bingo! :clap2:

On 9/25/2017 at 4:40 PM, timewilltell said:

And the topic below this is how to buy and invest in property in Thailand - no foreigner is safe investing here and there should be no foreign investment proposed especially by the Embassies through the various associations they support.

Exactly, see this advertorial in the Phuket forum promoting 90 year leases,

Archived