Looking For Indian Food

sillyseraphim

Dear Brahmburger,

The Bamboo House in Chiang Khong would be an excellent reason for you (and anybody else) to make a culinary tour to Chiang Khong. Mexican food, omelettes (!), homemade bread and excellent (cheap) Chilean wines.

Terrace with view over the Mekong and perfect, not too loud music. A great ambiance.

About sixhundred meters from the boat pier.

Please try it out next time you are there. Superb! You will be surprised!

A new 'Muslim food' place has opened on the Rimkok Raod, not far from the most famous fish restaurant of Chiang Rai, the Ek Oh Cha (opposite side of the road, about fivehundred meters west). I am very curious about that one.

And yes, in the rai, the name of what is probably the best place for steaks in Chiang Rai is 'Family, bakery and steakhouse'.

Tomorrow I will go for the chicken in the place you described. Looking forward to it.

Thanks!

Limbo :o

The 'muslim food' place that you are talking about is the 'Sakeena' (or something around that),right?I have been there once and found that it wasn't bad.The food is great and delicious.There's another one,as good as the 'Sakeena', around the SantiWitthayakhom school (if you guys know where it is).I visit it quite often and have never been disappionted.

'Family, bakery and steakhouse' used to be my favorite place when I was a kid. I used to adore their fish steak.However,I visited there last Wednesday with my mom and found I liked it no longer.Something probably went wrong with it.Nevertheless,we still think their garlic bread(they use butter,not olive oil ) along with the atmosphere is awesome.Anything else delicious there?

I think it is called Kow Soi Muslim, but it doesn't matter much if you can't read Thai.

Limbo

Edited by Limbo

The 'muslim food' place that you are talking about is the 'Sakeena' (or something around that),right?I have been there once and found that it wasn't bad.The food is great and delicious.There's another one,as good as the 'Sakeena', around the SantiWitthayakhom school (if you guys know where it is).I visit it quite often and have never been disappionted.

Thanks sillyseraphim, you are absolutely right, it is a very nice and clean place with excellent fine food.

It is at the parallel road (east side) with the superhighway.

If you would come out of the main gate of the Santi Witthayakhom school you turn to the left and take after about fifty meters the first street to the right.

Then you will find it after hundred meters at your left side.

When I visit it I always ask for 'daal', but it is finished or they don't make it anymore.

I think the earlier you come, the bigger the choice will be.

When I visit it I always ask for 'daal', but it is finished or they don't make it anymore.

I think the earlier you come, the bigger the choice will be.

I'm not sure about 'daal' but you were right about 'earlier you come, the bigger the choice will be'. I always go there and asked for 'Roti Mataba' and they always say 'it runs out'.

Edited by sillyseraphim

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know of a decent restaurant or cafe that sells Indian food in Chiangrai? I saw one by the Udomrak massage place (in the soi between Pizza Company and the street with the beer bars) a while back but it's not there anymore.

Does anyone know of a decent restaurant or cafe that sells Indian food in Chiangrai? I saw one by the Udomrak massage place (in the soi between Pizza Company and the street with the beer bars) a while back but it's not there anymore.

No it has gone unfortunately.... I think it only lasted about 3 months or so.

I too am a big Indian fan and we can only hope that one comes along soon..

ITR :o

ITR :o

ok - thanks for your response.

ITR :D

Hi Guys,

I too am an Indian/ Pakistani curry lover

The one beside the massage parlour near Jetyod was good

during the short time it lasted

Last year I got a passable take-away from the little place near the mosque

The new place near Rimkok does good food, especially kau sui, but she says no

Indian/Pakistan style curries

Just a couple of months ago I got a passable curry

at the restaurant just outside the gates of the Dusit

(fairly expensive place but worth it fot the eye candy :o )

Its listed on the menu as Indian chicken curry I think

Surely there is a gap in the market here for some

enterprising curry chef - I'd die for a good curry, some daal and a chaptti :D

Please please please if anyone does find a place let me know

:D

tung tsz

Hi Guys,

I too am an Indian/ Pakistani curry lover

The one beside the massage parlour near Jetyod was good

during the short time it lasted

Last year I got a passable take-away from the little place near the mosque

The new place near Rimkok does good food, especially kau sui, but she says no

Indian/Pakistan style curries

Just a couple of months ago I got a passable curry

at the restaurant just outside the gates of the Dusit

(fairly expensive place but worth it fot the eye candy :o )

Its listed on the menu as Indian chicken curry I think

Surely there is a gap in the market here for some

enterprising curry chef - I'd die for a good curry, some daal and a chaptti :D

Please please please if anyone does find a place let me know

:D

tung tsz

Yes,

I heard this just last night. The restaurant next to the Dusit is owned by an Indian/Thai and I believe that if you let him know in advance he will do up an authentic curry. I am yet to try it but will let you all know as soon as I have..

Edited by In the Rai!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have found a winner!

I tried the curries at the rabiang gok restaurant just outside the Dusit hotel. THe owner is Thai/Indian and can cook a mean curry. Selection is very limited but his chicken curry rocks.. :D

He does a couple of others but thats it. He also does naan/garlic naan an gapathi/ with or without spinach and potato inside. Samosas as well and a devine mango chutney.

It is not on is menu yet as he does not cook and freeze. He only cooks to rder but if he starts to get alot of people wanting it then he will add it to the menu.

Please PM me if you want his name and number. Give him 24 hours notice and your set. (he does take away too if need be)

I hope this helps our fellow Indian food lovers as much as it dd me. :o

ITR

I have some problems getting through that text. Are the indian items on the menu or not? Do you have to surprise him in the kitchen when he is stirring up a vindaloo in order to get a taste? What´s he trying to do, what´s he trying to do!? :o

The samosa at the evening market are good also. Yum. I will buy them tomorrow.

I have some problems getting through that text. Are the indian items on the menu or not? Do you have to surprise him in the kitchen when he is stirring up a vindaloo in order to get a taste? What´s he trying to do, what´s he trying to do!? :o

The samosa at the evening market are good also. Yum. I will buy them tomorrow.

He does not have Indian on his menu (it is a Thai restaurant), but if you give him 24 hours notice he will be able to make Indian curries (all the things I mentioned before) plus tandori chicken.

You need to ring him or drop in to the restaurant and give him notice about 24hrs. He will have everything ready for you the next day.

ITR

PM me if you want his number.

Edited by In the Rai!