Couple agrees to remove Buddha images from fence at their Chiang Mai house

webfact

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, LolaS said:

that is a statistic of the Department of Philosophy at CMU. I am talking using facts not feeling

It really does not take much to be a true Buddhist, accepting a few things is all, it is not really possible that only 0.03% are in acceptance.

6 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

It really does not take much to be a true Buddhist, accepting a few things is all, it is not really possible that only 0.03% are in acceptance.

you dont accept religion, you follow it.

Unfortunately this in thailand what we have as Buddhism is just a deviation and mixture of local and Hindu culture. 

11 hours ago, LolaS said:

Unfortunately this in thailand what we have as Buddhism is just a deviation and mixture of local and Hindu culture. 

Buddhism was always a mix of Hindu culture, Buddhism has always accepted the retaining of old customs, that does not make it not "true Buddhism" that makes it normal Buddhism.  And true Buddhism requires acceptance of the four seals, without which it would be dogmatic and "following" would apply to it like any other religion, but with them it becomes an individual path with Buddha merely providing guidance not an exact path to follow.

4 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Really?  So when exactly was it not?  Buddha was a Hindu, it is perfectly clear that he retained many beliefs taught to him from Hinduism.

Hmmm, very very distorted vision you have, I cannot debate with someone who dont know factual sources and guessing things, or take information out of context.

On ‎04‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 3:00 PM, LolaS said:

the 0.3%Always? many scholars would not agree with you

I think you mean the 0. 3% you mentioned  previously.

You have Tibetan Buddhism, Thai, Japanese, Burmese with incorporation of Nats and plenty more and all will differ when it comes to "true" Buddhism. It's a fruitless discussion as there are many schools of Buddhism.

I recommend to study Wikipedia 's article on "Schools of Buddhism" instead of superficial comments. But it doesn't matter which school or any religion you follow, at the end integrity, honesty and tolerance is, what matters.

The person who designed the heads was Thai. The people who cast and made them either Thai or Burmese. The delivery guy, probably Thai. The installers, Thai or Burmese. The wife, Thai. None of them saw a problem with it. No doubt every one of them in the chain of creation and installation are Buddhist, and they were all OK with it.

Enter the farang.... now there is outrage from the neighbors.

Bet anyone here a $1000 the shop selling them didn't get a mention anywhere online during the social media fury and they are still being sold today with no problems whatsoever.

Furthermore, these are not a one-off creation. They have to sell enough of them to make it worth making more. Thus a market exists for these heads. Outrage? Nope. 

On 10/3/2017 at 8:51 PM, LolaS said:

What you have in Thailand is a complete perversion of Buddhism. Doesn't matter what they want to call it, it's as distorted as Christianity.

4 minutes ago, bermannor said:

Please let me know where I can find true Buddhism.

Are you looking for truth or for buddhism?

Truth you can search for anywhere anytime.

For original buddhism you need to go back 2500 years, and don't even rely on the earliest scriptures - the thoughts of buddha were written down 400 years after buddha died, so they are surely very distorted.

And what is all this obsession about? Why would it matter what buddha or any other philosopher or self proclamed prophet exactly said? They may have had brilliant ideas, but they were only humans and therefore not infallible.

3 hours ago, bermannor said:

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Are you looking for truth or for buddhism?

Truth you can search for anywhere anytime.

For original buddhism you need to go back 2500 years, and don't even rely on the earliest scriptures - the thoughts of buddha were written down 400 years after buddha died, so they are surely very distorted.

And what is all this obsession about? Why would it matter what buddha or any other philosopher or self proclamed prophet exactly said? They may have had brilliant ideas, but they were only humans and therefore not infallible.

When I write true than I mean true and it was a question in response to the posting of dcnx.

Why do you think there are so many Buddhist philosophies or religions? It certainly seems that it doesn't matter for you but for how many peoples, believers, it really matters?

On 10/6/2017 at 7:54 PM, dcnx said:

What you have in Thailand is a complete perversion of Buddhism. Doesn't matter what they want to call it, it's as distorted as Christianity.

yes, you are right, I agree with you, 

unfortunately, ppl here like to quote wikipedia, instead sticking with reality.

2 hours ago, LolaS said:

read dcnx comment, can you see?

You should have seen (read) that I quoted donx. So, do you agree that it might have been possible that I have read and understood his postings? Unfortunately, I can't find facts in it, just assumptions, same as your 0.3% statement.

2 hours ago, bermannor said:

You should have seen (read) that I quoted donx. So, do you agree that it might have been possible that I have read and understood his postings? Unfortunately, I can't find facts in it, just assumptions, same as your 0.3% statement.

where is that quote?

On ‎06‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 8:15 PM, bermannor said:

If you read this posting, you will find my quote. Quoting a posting does not include the quote in this posting. Sorry, but I can not explain it clearer but I tried my best.

Archived