Couple agrees to remove Buddha images from fence at their Chiang Mai house

webfact

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, cmsally said:

It was surprising to see that this made front page of a national newspaper (Thai language) today.

Actually almost half in the picture are Ganesh, how would that be disallowed seeing as its a Hindu deity.

The photos of Ganesh are lined up in his garden, however, the 36 heads on the fence facing where anyone could see (and be offended) were of Buda. There are at least 2 very large billboards as you drive from Swampy into Bangkok that state the image of Buda will not be used for decoration or tattoo's said it is disrespectful and against the law . A few farangs including a few who were Buddhist who had tattoos were told to cover them up and I remember one in Cambodia was deported.

Those billboards were actually sponsored by some organisation. Don't remember what they were called, but if that was enforced surely it would mean the arrest of every person with a Buddha shaped amulet and those wearing "Sure" T shirts! That is one heck of a lot of people!

Buddhism billboards

New Sign at Airport

I think this is the organisation that sponsored the billboards.

Knowing Buddha

8 minutes ago, captspectre said:

disrespecting Budha? so the thai's think that driving drunk and killing people, gangs shooting each other, thai's robbing fellow thai's and foreigners, students fighting and killing each other, husbands cheating on thai's wive's is OK with buddha? 

typical hipocritical thinking! 

How do you know that any of these people who complained are guilty of these things?

6 hours ago, Thechook said:

Actually Thailand doesn't own Buddha even tho they may think so.  There are temples and monks in places like Australia and they aren't there under licence from Thailand.

You may be suprised that some come under the control of the Thai sanga over religion

7 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Those billboards were actually sponsored by some organisation. Don't remember what they were called, but if that was enforced surely it would mean the arrest of every person with a Buddha shaped amulet and those wearing "Sure" T shirts! That is one heck of a lot of people!

Same rules apply for amulets. They are religious artifacts and are worn by Buddhists as a show of respect for their religion. They are not worn for decoration only. Tattoos also follow the same rules. If you're a Buddhist and get a tattoo due to some form of spiritual practice then its ok, but foreigners get them because they look cool and for body art thus not ok but I haven't seen many if any actual tattoos on Thais that depict the Buddha, mostly Sanscrit style.

4 minutes ago, thenoilif said:

How do you know that any of these people who complained are guilty of these things?

it did not specify names. it said THAI PEOPLE ! and disrespecting Buddha. the people I am reffering to are THAI and are disrespecting Buddha. now you just want to argue or are you satisfied?

17 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Buddhism billboards

New Sign at Airport

I think this is the organisation that sponsored the billboards.

Knowing Buddha

I saw the sign, "welcome to Buddha land" 

I wonder how Indian people would feel seeing this fake sign?

7 minutes ago, thenoilif said:

Same rules apply for amulets. They are religious artifacts and are worn by Buddhists as a show of respect for their religion. They are not worn for decoration only. Tattoos also follow the same rules. If you're a Buddhist and get a tattoo due to some form of spiritual practice then its ok, but foreigners get them because they look cool and for body art thus not ok but I haven't seen many if any actual tattoos on Thais that depict the Buddha, mostly Sanscrit style.

So how would one analyse  if it was worn out of respect or for decoration?

34 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

A whole lot of Buddha heads is a bit surprising but I have a  Buddha temple at both my houses and also at my plantations. It is normal for here. Maybe in his case it was a little overdone.

At your houses they are probably Buddha shrines and at your plantations they are probably spirit houses.

18 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Disrespectful hmmm so monks drug dealing, scaming and shaging is acceptable ?

I don't know what "shaging" is but it sounds like that's not a good thing.  Are you arguing that because monks act shamefully sometimes, that these people have the right to act shamefully?  Is that how you decide right from wrong in your life?  These people did the right thing to pull the heads down.  It turns out that in Thailand using Buddha for art is considered disrespectful and in my opinion, Thailand is under no obligation to change its laws or customs to conform to Western ideals.  

pick your fights... they decided that it wasn't worth the hassle... people are crazy and it could have easily escalated quite quickly... I think they chose wisely in letting this issue go and complying with taking down the heads.

When it comes to religion and matters of faith people lose their minds very quickly and there is no way reason or use logic with them. 

It's hilarious for the most part almost every single religion tries to teach peace and understanding yet there are so many people who claim to be devout followers who go ballistic and are willing to resort to violence if someone has a different interpretation from their own.

One paragraph that caught my eye on the Knowing Buddha website

was this:

100 years later some of his followers wondered how Buddha looked. They prayed to an angel who used to meet Buddha. Then the angel appeared in Buddha's image, and so the first Buddha statues were created. Since then Buddha statues have become a key element for most Buddhists around the world are reminded of his compassion, kindness and his teachings and feel the highest regard for him.

I am unfamiliar with this . Apparently Vajrapani (Boddhisatva - Mahayana) was based on the Greek Hercules and it is assumed the Buddha was also influenced by these.

Origin of the Buddha Image

54 minutes ago, Cory1848 said:

I don't think you'll find any Buddha heads (heads only, "decapitated") in a temple. That's what's offensive. If you see such a Buddha head in a temple, take a photo and post it!

Ok fair enough, then why does every mom and pop garden centre have literally dozens if not hundreds of them on display and for sale? What about the Thai factories that make these? If decapitated buddah heads are not for temples and temples are the only place Buddha images should be displayed why are these heads being made? Fecebook strikes again!

12 hours ago, kalidescopemind said:

Wats put images of Buddha all over the place.  Is that the problem, they want them to come to the Wat?

Quote;   "Nualchan said she and her husband thought that the use of Buddha heads would just be an artistic decoration,...."

2. Do not place Buddha images in inappropriate objects or places.

3. Do not place images or statues of Buddha as if they were furniture or decorative objects.

- Knowing Buddha

https://www.knowingbuddha.org

At our Buddhist shrines in our homes, high on the wall, and at Temple, the statue of the Buddha and his compassionate smile reminds us to strive to develop peace and love within ourselves. It helps with a peaceful serenity that aids our reflection on his teachings and our meditation. We are not supposed to worship the statue.... the statue is not a god, and Lord Buddha never claimed to be a god or the son of a god or the representativ of a god.  The perfume of incense reminds us of the pervading influence of virtue, the lamp reminds us of light of knowledge and the flowers which soon fade and die, reminds us of impermanence. When we bow, we express our gratitude to the Buddha for what his teachings have given us.

The statue is not simply for artistic decoration. "Nualchan said she and her husband thought that the use of Buddha heads would just be an artistic decoration,...."    That is where the problem was...    Apparently....  

If you see a picture, amulet or statue of Buddha in inappropriate places such as a walk way floor, in a bathroom/toilet room, or on a chair, please help to place it in a proper place up high such as on a shelf or higher. If you cannot pay respect to Buddha at least do not treat the image of Buddha badly. Nobody should look down on or treat badly someone's father. Buddhists respect Buddha as the religious father. All leaders of religions are regarded with respect. This should also be applied to Buddha.

Knowing Buddha https://www.knowingbuddha.org

17 hours ago, johng said:

Yes remove them and replace with "swastikas" then no plom plem

Not so silly. The Swastika is an old sign of peace, from India. Hence,  in Thai: สวัสดี - How do you do. Sawas(dee) derives from Sanskrit.  Of course the Nazis ruined it, like many other things. 

Point here, though, is decapitated Buddha head brings back the horrors of heads on pikes outside the city walls, punishment of rebels. Is the stupid American & his ignorant wife comparing the Buddha to a rebel (which he was, in fact, against the materialism of his class in India)? Nevertheless, in these times, rebellion of any sort must be discouraged.

The more we analyse this silliness the worse is gets.

Next time stick with Garden Gnomes.  

47 minutes ago, captspectre said:

disrespecting Budha? so the thai's think that driving drunk and killing people, gangs shooting each other, thai's robbing fellow thai's and foreigners, students fighting and killing each other, husbands cheating on thai's wive's is OK with buddha? 

typical hipocritical thinking! 

Such people are not real Buddhists....... not following Buddha's teaching.   You obviously have a problem understanding that. 

Jeez!! They are only painted bits of concrete. Probably not even real gold.

37 minutes ago, NoBrainer said:

They should replace them with Monkey Heads, it would fit in better with the neighborhood.

Would those Monkey Heads be concrete or the real things; as in stuffed?

11 minutes ago, cmsally said:

So how would one analyse  if it was worn out of respect or for decoration?

Well, telling everyone that its being worn solely for decoration is one way to go like this American guy did with the heads.

Thais wouldn't wear amulets for decoration given that its taboo. 

For foreigners, one would have to demonstrate that they are Buddhists in order for them to wear amulets and not offend certain people. 

Putting all of these heads on the wall pretty much confirmed that the guy has no knowledge of Buddhist practices and customs. 

47 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

The photos of Ganesh are lined up in his garden, however, the 36 heads on the fence facing where anyone could see (and be offended) were of Buda. There are at least 2 very large billboards as you drive from Swampy into Bangkok that state the image of Buda will not be used for decoration or tattoo's said it is disrespectful and against the law . A few farangs including a few who were Buddhist who had tattoos were told to cover them up and I remember one in Cambodia was deported.

I saw a couple of those billboards when on the Giant Ibis bus coming from Siem Reap, Cambodia to Bangkok.... They are put up by the Knowing Buddha organization......  They just ask people for simple respect of Buddha's image.. 

https://www.knowingbuddha.org

Why would that be a disrespect of buddhism?  Utter bs.  They would have stayed on my fence.  What difference is having buddha statues outside in the courtyards of a wat as opposed to your house?  All the wats should remove their outdoor buddha images for disrespecting buddhism.

6 minutes ago, Dukeleto said:

Ok fair enough, then why does every mom and pop garden centre have literally dozens if not hundreds of them on display and for sale? What about the Thai factories that make these? If decapitated buddah heads are not for temples and temples are the only place Buddha images should be displayed why are these heads being made? Fecebook strikes again!

Again, all good questions -- I'm now looking out my window at the neighbor's house and just noticed that he has a bas-relief of a Buddha head attached to the exterior wall -- in a dignified sort of display, and high up on the wall, but the head only. He's a Thai, as is his wife. Why is this OK? I don't know. It's intended, I believe, as a devotional display rather than a simply decorative one, but at the same time these neighbors (whom I don't know) have made other improvements to their house indicating that they're going for sort of a "hi-so" effect. I'll have to ask my girlfriend about this later!

18 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Making and worshiping Buddha images is actually disrespectful to Buddha's teaching but that hasn't stopped anyone.

Gautama Siddhartha would be the first on to say to take all of the statues of him down regardless of where they are erected.

58 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

I think IF you are a practicing Buddhist.. and there are simple small representations of Buddha in some Sak Yant, Yantra tattoos that you have had done by a monk and blessed...(such as the small Ongk Pra...  three ovals which get progressiveley smaller and represent Buddha)  then it is acceptable.  Sak Yant tattoos are ancient...     I am Therevada Buddhist and had some Sak Yant done by a monk several years ago.  He only tattooed me after questioning and determining I was Buddhist and respected Buddha and his Teachings and the Thai customs.. Among my Sak Yant are some Ongk Pra figures..

Archived