Couple agrees to remove Buddha images from fence at their Chiang Mai house

webfact

This too fake rather than redicilous , Buddha him self is not a god ! too simply a good men and said" i'm not the god " also said do not build any image or statue after me, so the temple it self is illegal and doesn't represent buddhism so poitnless to ask peopel removing heads while you are building things doesn't belong to buddhism ,moreover  the American deserve what happen to him as he tried to adopt something not given to him ......anything with a middle men is unsure and most of unsure things are either fake or non- real

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes No Big Deal, ... Just decoration, ...  but also No big deal to remove them also. LIFL ... Life is for Living, ...  and getting On, .... Fences are made to be fences, to keep people that you do not want in, ... Out  .... (If you can) ... not at all necessarily to put any thing on top of the Post ... like pretty understandable that they have to be taken down I think. (Liek they were pretentious and Ugly any way ???) ....

7 minutes ago, British Bulldog said:

So true ... that's what makes the wars around the world these days and did since Adam was on the Earth ...(If he ever was ?)

To be fair, I can't think of any war that was started by Buddhists because of Buddhism. It's very much the anti-confrontational religion.

Also, to be even fairer, most conflicts use religion as a catalyst and as we see today, some people will, in the absence of Religion,  just find new ideologies (racism, republicans/democrats, Labor/Torrey, Samsung/Apple) to use as an excuse for conflict. 

41 minutes ago, patrick kennedy said:

Would they have to take them down if they were the family of the RED BULL,Budda in my opinion if it was possible for him to reappear,he would be very pleased to know that even American people have respect for his teachings.If this man disrespected Budda he would not have purchased them in the first place.As per usual,DONT DO AS I DO JUST DO AS I SAY,that is of course unless you are related to RED BULL.

If you think plastering his garden wall with head statues of the Buddha shows that this American has the slightest respect or knowledge of Buddhism then you need to worry about your logical thought process!

No idea why he wants to purchase them but there are billboards around and other media advising against such use of Buddhist imagery.

Surprised his wife went along, or even wanted this. It's tacky, cheap, against all advice and she must have known, or be very thick not to, the likely reaction.

Just about every tourist brochure and lots of articles on Thailand make it very clear that insults to Buddha, Royalty and the Country won't be tolerated - and nor should they.

Do you think the people who drip in large gold crosses and crucifixes, like those footballers who cross themselves when running on the pitch to earn their fantastic pay, are actually true believing practicing church attending Christians then too?

1 minute ago, thenoilif said:

To be fair, I can't think of any war that was started by Buddhists because of Buddhism. It's very much the anti-confrontational religion.

Also, to be even fairer, most conflicts use religion as a catalyst and as we see today, some people will just find in the absence of Religion they will just find new ideologies (racism, republicans/democrats, Labor/Torrey, Samsung/Apple) to use as an excuse for conflict. 

Yes without Doubt, many ? Well ? Corrupt people, miss use Religion for their own ends !!! ... AND to back wars. Like just after the "Do it (Kill them), ...  to protect your Family" Lines.

... Like every Western Army still has Christian Chaplin's I think ? .... and well they would have to deal with a LOT of different Religions these days also.

But about you’re First Line, about Buddhists never being involved in War, ???  or Killing ? What about the Buddhist Monks in Myanmar Advocating Murder, Rape and ethnic Cleansing, of the Rohingans ??? ... And well Thailand South is No decent example either,  ... where a large proportion of Thailand's Oil and gas is, so well, how much hope of autonomy, or even just Not being threatened do to they have !!! ...Yes about Zero, or Minus.

Just now, johng said:

yes, but she was wearing the white ones at the time I took the photo :shock1:

Nice, yeh mine looks really nice in hers too, especially under that school uniform of hers that she used to wear to school when she was in high school, amazing how she can still fit into 555

9 hours ago, Thechook said:

Actually Thailand doesn't own Buddha even tho they may think so.  There are temples and monks in places like Australia and they aren't there under licence from Thailand.

One in Wimbledon, another in Birmingham (both UK) and probably more besides.

40 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Nice, yeh mine looks really nice in hers too, especially under that school uniform of hers that she used to wear to school when she was in high school, amazing how she can still fit into 555

You are turning this thread into a farce. The both of you.

"yes, but she was wearing the white ones at the time I took the photo :shock1:"

Let's get back to the pieces of concrete on the wall.

3 hours ago, chrissables said:

I saw the sign, "welcome to Buddha land" 

I wonder how Indian people would feel seeing this fake sign?

LOL, Lumbini, where the Lord Buddha was born, is actually in Nepal, not India. But we get your point. :tongue:

1 hour ago, Mark Alexander Smith said:

But about you’re First Line, about Buddhists never being involved in War, ???  or Killing ?What about the Buddhist Monks in Myanmar Advocating Murder, Rape and ethnic Cleansing, of the Rohingans ??? ... And well Thailand South is No decent example either,  ... where a large proportion of Thailand's Oil and gas is, so well, how much hope of autonomy, or even just Not being threatened do to they have !!! ...Yes about Zero, or Minus.

Please don’t misrepresent my words. I say they have never started a war and used Buddhism as the basis for that war.

Its my understanding that the 989 movement is reactionary to Muslim extremism in Myanmar. So its more of an Anti-Muslim movement than a militant Buddhist one.. And while the leader of the movement is a monk, I don’t see any proclamations from the Buddhist side that would be akin to ‘God wills it’ or ‘Allah Akbar’ or whatever the Muslim extremist war cry of the day is. 

With that being said, I will agree that we are seeing a rise in uncharacteristic behaviors from key spiritual leaders among the Thai monkhood. Globalization could be to blame.

Buddha is not a decoration- there is a  large sign outside Suvarnabhumi Airport that says that and warns people not to use the image in that way. I don't think the man was trying to be disrespectful. I just do't believe that he understands the concept or Thai culture. I m rather surprised that his Thai wife did not inform him that his actions were not keeping with the norms of Thai society and could be viewed as disrespectful. 

The use of a Buddhist image in a house should be inside in a room where the image is elevated and individuals can pray and light joss sticks. In all my years in Thailand- I have never seen a Buddhist image used as the gentleman  did by putting many on a wall.

35 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

You are turning this thread into a farce. The both of you.

"yes, but she was wearing the white ones at the time I took the photo :shock1:"

Let's get back to the pieces of concrete on the wall.

Yes, the pieces of the wall on the concrete, what exactly was it ?

9 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

In all my years in Thailand- I have never seen a Buddhist image used as the gentleman  did by putting many on a wall.

He is a trial blazing innovator  neoclassic installation artist and it will start a new movement "for sure for sure"   :biggrin:

So many people here think they have got the whole Thai Buddhism thing worked out. After a few years they will realize that the whole arrangement is a lot more fluid and of-the-moment than they imagined. And a lot of regional differences too. They don't like rules to be too confining. 

1 minute ago, canuckamuck said:

So many people here think they have got the whole Thai Buddhism thing worked out. After a few years they will realize that the whole arrangement is a lot more fluid and of-the-moment than they imagined. And a lot of regional differences too. They don't like rules to be too confining. 

That is so true.

Up here near the Mekong I'm sure the locals only pray so they can gleen the lottery numbers, When I ask the wife about the religious aspects she tells me I wouldn't understand if she did tell me. I don't think they know or care about the religion as long as they can win the lotto every so often.

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

If you later become a atheist, after reading Christopher Hitchen's 'Religion Posions Everything', would you have the tattoo covered over or removed?

Well.... I have more than just one Sak Yant tattoo..... I have nine...  Two on each arm....  five on my back..  I would never make any special effort to cover them.  What for ? ? 

And since the definiton of Atheist is a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.....then I'm already an atheist.    Being a Theravada Buddhist does not mean I believe in  God or Gods. 

There are a lot of Therevadan Buddhists who are atheist and don't believe in a God... or Gods plural. 

My position is that it doesn't matter whether there is a God or not.  If there is.. he isn't necessary..  our "salvation" is up to us. A follower of Buddha's teachings poisons nothing. 

Hitchen said in regards to God or Gods :  "What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence"  

But strictly speaking....  Theravada Buddhism needs no God or Gods already.. and Buddha never claimed to be a God... the son of a God.. or the prophet of a God..  

For me....  I only need to do my best to follow the Four Noble Truths... the Noble Eightfold Path, and the Five Precepts, spend some time in meditation.   I go to Temple on special occasions.. .

What do you know about Buddhism... and the various "schools"  and traditions of Buddhism ? ? 

The teachings of Lord Buddha poisons nothing...  . 

1 minute ago, Catoni said:

Well.... I have more than just one Sak Yant tattoo..... I have nine...  Two on each arm....  five on my back..  I would never make any special effort to cover them.  What for ? ? 

<snip snip>

The teachings of Lord Buddha poisons nothing.

Great answer Catoni.

I have over 40 cats and a tattoo of a panther. Koi carp too.

I have just two rules in my religion;

01 Treat others as you would wish to be treated.

02 Love thy neighbour; but only if you like them.

5 minutes ago, jmccarty said:

Is there a difference between "Art" & "Decoration"  Can Buddha Art be displayed anywhere outside of a Wat?   If I am learning Buddhism, can I have a spirit house with a Buddha to pray to?

If you do start praying; any chance of some winning lottery numbers for the next draw?

2 hours ago, Mark Alexander Smith said:

Yes without Doubt, many ? Well ? Corrupt people, miss use Religion for their own ends !!! ... AND to back wars. Like just after the "Do it (Kill them), ...  to protect your Family" Lines.

... Like every Western Army still has Christian Chaplin's I think ? .... and well they would have to deal with a LOT of different Religions these days also.

But about you’re First Line, about Buddhists never being involved in War, ???  or Killing ? What about the Buddhist Monks in Myanmar Advocating Murder, Rape and ethnic Cleansing, of the Rohingans ??? ... And well Thailand South is No decent example either,  ... where a large proportion of Thailand's Oil and gas is, so well, how much hope of autonomy, or even just Not being threatened do to they have !!! ...Yes about Zero, or Minus.

Any "Buddhist" monk advocating Murder, Rape, Ethnic Cleansing is obviously not following Buddhist teaching..

That fact does not make Buddhism.. and the teachings of Lord Buddha bad...  

Just as Catholic priests or any other Christian advocating murder, Rape and Ethnic Cleansing is not following the teachings of Jesus Christ.. 

The fact that humans fail in their religions....  does not make their religions bad.   There is really only one major world religion today that I would consider bad.  And it isn't Buddhism, or Christianity.   I'm not going to mention its name..   

5 hours ago, Cranky said:

Wonder what Buddha woulda made of the 34 year age-gap, wunda how long they've been hitched.

Although I knew it was coming sooner or later,

I must admit, I'm actually surprised it has taken so long for someone to inject that meaningless nonsense.

:coffee1:

21 hours ago, Tonto21 said:

Well, Buddhism in Thailand does seem to be losing it's way. A lot of bad press and going on's. But that doesn't mean ordinary Thais like it.

I'm a little surprised that the wife, who is Thai did not explain to her husband that it is seen as disrespectful to do this sort of thing with images of Buddha. I found this out sometime ago when my wife and I were working on our garden. I liked this statue of a Buddha in the lotus position I had seen, I thought it would have looked tasteful, respectful even peaceful ..... Sat in one corner of the garden, with vegetation around it and moss and vines climbing it. My wife would have none of it and explained with difficulty why most Thai could not do that, it's as much a culture thing as a Buddhist one.

I still don't see what the problem is, but I'm mindful.... It's not my following or culture and so I try and respect it. Other things Thais get a little excited about is making your house roof like a Wet temple style.

Maybe it a little like the feeling farang get when they see a Nazi swastika on the back of a pick-up, or Thai students dressing like Nazi storm troopers. We call them ignorant and stupid for not knowing it offends, maybe they feel the same about some peoples insensitivity towards Buddha. Just an idea.

The Buddha image should always be above or level with head height.  The point of the Buddha image is to pay homage to it.  I am sure many ex-pats have a Buddha room in their house if they are married to a Thai who practices the religion.  To have a Buddha image in the garden with vines growing all over it would be seen as not respecting the Buddha.

21 hours ago, Tonto21 said:

I'm a little surprised that the wife, who is Thai did not explain to her husband that it is seen as disrespectful to do this sort of thing with images of Buddha.

My wife wouldn't let me "misuse" any Buddha image. No argument, if I couldn't respect her religious beliefs why would be together.

Archived