"Smart Zebra Crossing" coming to Hua Hin - but will drivers be smart enough to stop?

webfact

"Smart Zebra Crossing" coming to Hua Hin - but will drivers be smart enough to stop?

21949942_10208905852278413_6166148299802829512_o.jpg

Picture: Facebook 

HUA HIN: -- What is billed as a first of its kind in Thailand is soon to make its debut in front of a downtown Hua Hin market.

It is the "smart zebra crossing". Local journalist Kulsawek Sawekwannakorn said on Facebook that the crossing is fitted with road level lights that shine in both directions.

These come from innovative "solar cells" and will shine brightly all night.

If successful the crossing - that will be installed over three or four days outside the Chatchai market - will become a feature on busy roads throughout the country.

Thaivisa notes the though the new crossing will be highly visible the real test will come if any drivers can be bothered to stop.

While people should stop at zebra crossings in Thailand, motorists often ignore them.

Source: Facebook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-27

Another boondoggle - some bureaucrat gets some idea and spends a lot of money and nothing changes.  Taxi ranks in Bangkok, public water fountain towers (have you ever seen someone drinking out of one?), bike lanes running down the middle of the sidewalk, coin operated public bicycle stands (maybe these work but I have never seen anyone riding one), bizarre hours for buying alcohol, the list goes on.  

They need to be properly tested.  I am sure there are plenty of itinerant workers looking for an extra baht.  No experience required, on the job training provided.  Mate all you have to do is walk, don't run across this new hitech zebra crossing.  You see that guy on the other side with the mop and bucket, he has your 20 baht.

37 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

Many drivers have enough difficulty stopping at a red light, so I don't have much hope for this.

Time and again I see Thais putting the pedal to the metal when the green countdown is approaching 0.. they fly through the intersection often after it has gone red.. and I often see the white marker lines where cars and motorbikes have ended up after being hit.. no respect... 

Made the mistake of stopping for a pedestrian in HH once.

He was nearly killed when he, wrongly, assumed the other lane would stop.

Its like stopping for a motorbike already in a roundabout.

Its the right thing to do but there'll probably be a dead motorcyclist if he assumes everyone will apply the rules of the road.

21 minutes ago, Psychic said:

Made the mistake of stopping for a pedestrian in HH once.

He was nearly killed when he, wrongly, assumed the other lane would stop.

Its like stopping for a motorbike already in a roundabout.

Its the right thing to do but there'll probably be a dead motorcyclist if he assumes everyone will apply the rules of the road.

I ride a motorbike.. I have to be very careful at roundabouts.. they fly through and cut me off like I don't even exist.. 

How about a different approach, or approximately ;-

The pedestrian presses a button, timed flashing red LED stop lights activate both at eye level and in a "bumper line" in the bitumen, a camera captures any vehicle that crosses an "appropriately placed" sensor loop also under the bitumen. Better camera proof might also show the (hopefully vertical) pedestrian.

The public must be made aware of the "new smart crossings" and the fines they can expect.

But even then smart pedestrians could only have a slightly better chance of trusting them more than the present distrust.     

Agree with other posts about lack of respect and speeding up etc.

2 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Many drivers have enough difficulty stopping at a red light, so I don't have much hope for this.

On Asoke they don’t stop for red light at zebra crossing... I knock their cars with the palm of my hand... makes a helluva noise inside the car (and no damage to panelwork)... then they stop (after the crossing) and get out ready to boof  me for hitting their damned car!! hahahahaha 

Puzzling place to try the crosswalk out as no one usually stops on Phet Kasem at the current zebra crosswalk where this is to go.  It's a kill zone at night when the tuk tuks are parked.

There is a  crosswalk in  front of the Bangkok Hospital with crossing lights. I was crossing with  a few nurses in their starched white outfits one day and  we were nearly run down by  idiots who blew the  lights, so I dunno.

6 hours ago, Bobobirdiebuddy said:

Another boondoggle - some bureaucrat gets some idea and spends a lot of money and nothing changes.  Taxi ranks in Bangkok, public water fountain towers (have you ever seen someone drinking out of one?), bike lanes running down the middle of the sidewalk, coin operated public bicycle stands (maybe these work but I have never seen anyone riding one), bizarre hours for buying alcohol, the list goes on.  

Police riding true a red traffic light 2 times and 2 blocks furter he stopped at a foodstable.

Archived