Samui braces for Chinese tourist invasion for National Day this weekend

webfact

Samui braces for Chinese tourist invasion for National Day this weekend

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

SAMUI: -- Tourism officials in Koh Samui said that Chinese people would be visiting the island in droves over the next seven days around the National Day of October 1st.

Hotel bookings were up on the same period last year and restaurants were busy preparing a mountain of seafood, popular with the Asian visitors.

Nongyao Jirandorn, a Koh Samui tourism representative for the TAT said that the influx of Chinese visitors over the seven days around the national holiday would bring in 500 million baht to the holiday island.

Apart from restaurants and hotels, diving companies and operators offering sea excursions were among those who would benefit.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-27

Wah! That is some heavy duty negativity!

As a rule I don't believe the TAT or their claim of 500,000,000 baht, but a few more visitors will help out some of the businesses on the island, especially in the off season. I would remind everyone that it is a tourist island and needs tourists for its livelihood.

I fully agree with Trogers (above) about the trash, however every visitor to the island is responsible for some garbage. Perhaps if the Mayor and/or the Municipal government actually fixed the incinerator after all these years, then the problem wouldn't be so bad.

Cheers

43 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Any westerners staying in hotels with a buffet breakfast should set breakfast alarm for 6.01 am.. Just sayin

Any westerners should come with American football or ice hockey attire if they plan to eat at a buffet. 

14 hours ago, saakura said:

Sooner or later, it will drive away the farangs. And the biggest losers will be the bars and prostitutes as the Chinese do not patronize either.

I don't care much about the bars, but the hundreds of small restaurants/shops that make hardly any money with the Chinese. 

'Chinese tourist invasion, eh?   Talk about a fate worse than death.

Note for the locals:  Stock up on bleach for sidewalk-cleaning, and just in case they start building an airstrip you might want to have some legal beagle in Geneva or somewhere on speed-dial...

1 minute ago, sn1per said:

So where are they.... I don't see them yet.

They take shelter during daylight hours and the heat of the day, to emerge after dusk in small numbered groups.  They startle easily, so approach quietly and without making sudden gestures or loud noises.

Archived