Hot Towels Stress and Pain Relief

al007

Some 65 plus years ago I used to be taken by my father to the barber, at the Victoria Hotel, Nottinghams number one hotel. A hair cut for an adult; used to be 1/9, being one shilling and ninepence, I can remember when it went up twopence,  to 1/11 and they did not reprint the price list, I can still visualise it today on black cardboard, at that time you could also get 5  imp gals of VIP petrol for a pound

On the list was Hot Towels, at sixpence, (in bhatt about one)

I have recently been using hot towels to reduce stress and pain

I have a few ailments and get both stomach acre and hip pain, I can kill this with paracetamol, brufen or tylenol, but try to not use as I do not wish to build my resistance to painkillers  and wake up at night in pain

For the last week I have been using hot towels on my forehead and eyes and it seems to drag some of the pain and tension out of my head, I also sprinkle a few lavender drops in the water

Take a hand towel about 70 cms by 50 cms, soak in lavender water , wring out fold vertically into four and then in half at this stage one 35 by 12 cms, eight pieces thick, put on plate  in microwave two mins, then carefully put on forehead and eyes, maybe do twice

This helps me also go back to sleep in the middle of the night.

Sometimes simple solutions are best

41 minutes ago, al007 said:

Some 65 plus years ago I used to be taken by my father to the barber,..........

For the last week I have been using hot towels on my forehead and eyes and it seems to drag some of the pain and tension out of my head, I also sprinkle a few lavender drops in the water

Take a hand towel about 70 cms by 50 cms, soak in lavender water , wring out fold vertically into four and then in half at this stage one 35 by 12 cms, eight pieces thick, put on plate  in microwave two mins, then carefully put on forehead and eyes, maybe do twice

Some 65+ years ago everyone had rubber hot water bottles which also work brilliantly for relieving muscle and joint pain, and stay hot much longer than a towel. You can still buy them in UK shops, even in this age of microwavable items and electric blankets.

That said, I microwave a small wet towel for my face and hands a couple of times a day. Very refreshing.

30 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Some 65+ years ago everyone had rubber hot water bottles which also work brilliantly for relieving muscle and joint pain, and stay hot much longer than a towel. You can still buy them in UK shops, even in this age of microwavable items and electric blankets.

That said, I microwave a small wet towel for my face and hands a couple of times a day. Very refreshing.

My grandparents used to use the water bottles to keep them warm in the winter. Fill them with hot water at night because in many homes, heated by coal stoves in the day...the only heat was in the kitchen area and bedrooms were ice cold at night

20 minutes ago, tonray said:

My grandparents used to use the water bottles to keep them warm in the winter. Fill them with hot water at night because in many homes, heated by coal stoves in the day...the only heat was in the kitchen area and bedrooms were ice cold at night

As kids we always had hot water bottles, sometimes with covers so you did not get burnt

Then I was sent away to school very expensive, no luxuries ,( no hot water bottles) dormitories no heat windows open and wake in the morning ice on the sheets, ( we slept with shirt and sweater on) this was meant to be character building, I have a  very different opinion and believe it was barbaric !!

We used to get a lot of pot, which I did enjoy

I escaped fortunately at seventeen

I still like the hot towels also gives humidity, but more work

I've used Lavender Oil for years to help me relax, they are really effective.

My wife gives my leg a massage (recent THR) with it & it helps alot.

I order it from Botannicesse in BKK, they have a huge range of very good oils, inexpensive with quick delivery.

28 minutes ago, faraday said:

I order it from Botannicesse in BKK, they have a huge range of very good oils, inexpensive with quick delivery.

I tried to find them with google and failed do you have a web site for them ?

Appreciated

PS got your PM thanks

Archived