Bangkok bicycle lanes: One big waste of money says Thai media

webfact

No Thais ride a push bike,  that is too hard,  most can't even walk 100 meters, easier to just get a motorbike taxi.

And another waste of money is painting pedestrian crossings on the road,,  no driver ever stops for them unless one person is game enough to step out, then 20 others quickly follow, then they 'may' stop,  but I have seen motor bikes weave though the pedestrians crossing, with no thought what so ever of actually stopping.. 

Just another waste of paint............. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

A nation so corrupt they can't even put in bicycle lanes.

Not so. It`s down to installing but not having the resources to police and maintain the bicycle lanes. They are relying on the decency of the public which obviously doesn`t work. 

Here`s the proper way, as in London.

bicycle lane.jpg

36 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Not so. It`s down to installing but not having the resources to police and maintain the bicycle lanes. They are relying on the decency of the public which obviously doesn`t work. 

bicycle lane.jpg

Not so? Everything and I mean everything in Thailand leads back to corruption.

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

I guess this means down the drain. Maybe not all 28 million has been wasted.:wink:

images (1).jpg

Ok looked it up. Down the pan is actually a Cockney expression for down the drain.

The Pan in question is the toilet bowl, so means flushed down the toilet ie. wasted! same, same but slightly different.

I have a brand new bicycle lane new my condo and it runs about 5kms 

And yes no one uses them 

But a idea would be to close them to vendors and bicycles as they wasted 

And open it up for motocycles as it would relieve traffic congestion 

Also as a motorcycle can't use a motorway but a heavy slow truck can is crazy 

So motorcycles lanes are a better option then half a dozen cyclists in lycra riding on them  its just a waste of space that could be used for small cc motorcycles 

In Chiang Mai, government money is also wasted on providing footpaths/sidewalks that can't be navigated by pedestrians due to the same aforementioned clutter on bike lanes. It is dangerous to walk on the roads but not as risky as walking on the footpaths. Mr Prayuth, who is responsible for this? Why aren't they fired, never to get a government job again?

??? bicycle lane for Thai ❗️

How many people know what that lane is for ? Even if they know ?, so what, who cares.

Perhaps you need to educate people (that probably will take years) before any project. 

Just like "no motorcycle" in pavement. 

???

1 hour ago, Saladin said:

In Chiang Mai, government money is also wasted on providing footpaths/sidewalks that can't be navigated by pedestrians due to the same aforementioned clutter on bike lanes. It is dangerous to walk on the roads but not as risky as walking on the footpaths. Mr Prayuth, who is responsible for this? Why aren't they fired, never to get a government job again?

I agree. I too live in CM. The bicycle lanes around the moat and elsewhere, were installed to celebrate a major national event some 2/3 years ago. since then, I have seen foreigners riding bikes, some Thais riding bikes - even Chinese tourists riding bikes - (all over the road), but I have NEVER seen anyone riding in the cluttered, dedicated bicycle lanes, albeit, marked only with a thin white line, containing a bike riding symbol every 30 metres or so.

now, like everuone else, I don't actually notice them because:

a.   They are blocked by all and sundry.

b.   Cyclists cannot use them.

c.   The roads are to narrow to accommodate the lanes anyway.

Money wasted, otherwise filtered or just plain filched.

No improvement whatsoever - or designed to attract tourists.

I can't even ride my bike in the dedicated bike lanes in a public park (Suan Luang, Phuket) without pedestrians, motorbikes and cars coming at me head on, on the well marked one way path.  Someone thought they were gonna let people with bikes have lanes on a real roadway??  Fire that guy immediately.

1 minute ago, ThaiWai said:

I can't even ride my bike in the dedicated bike lanes in a public park (Suan Luang, Phuket) without pedestrians, motorbikes and cars coming at me head on, on the well marked one way path.  Someone thought they were gonna let people with bikes have lanes on a real roadway??  Fire that guy immediately.

it is dispicable for this to happen

Just now, garbolino said:

it is dispicable for this to happen

And dangerous.  Complete waste of money and time invested in this track which would be awesome if enforced.  I literally stopped nose to nose with a car last week and he was forced to drive up an embankment to get around me.  I just stared in amazement at the balls of this guy.  Momentum is constantly interupted and one must stop and start again and again.  Frustrating to no end.  I just got video glasses to record it.  I'm gonna start posting videos of these nuts.

9 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

And dangerous.  Complete waste of money and time invested in this track which would be awesome if enforced.  I literally stopped nose to nose with a car last week and he was forced to drive up an embankment to get around me.  I just stared in amazement at the balls of this guy.  Momentum is constantly interupted and one must stop and start again and again.  Frustrating to no end.  I just got video glasses to record it.  I'm gonna start posting videos of these nuts.

quite right to do so but I think it will get you nowhere in the lawless country

10 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

I would hazard an educated guess that most of the motorbikes/scooters in Bangkok are driven faster there, in a city centre, than anywhere else on planet earth. A few months back I was standing outside the British Embassy at morning rush hour. It was a sight that I could only describe as incomprehensible madness. Having attended real super bike races, this was as close as you could get to a similar noise level and speed from the 125 cc class. But many had pillion riders on the back sitting side saddle with no helmets........!!!
I have cycled all round Pattaya, Jomtien, the dark side, up to Sri Ratcha and down to Bang Saray and agree with other posters that on a bike if you are fit and aware to the dangers you get a better higher view of the traffic madness. But I would think more than twice about cycling in BKK.......even on their useless lanes.

Pretty sure Saigon would outrun them.

10 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

bicycle lane.jpg

So it doesn't work in London either - not a bicycle to be seen. Such a waste.

In my city in Canada where there is 5 months of Winter conditions with snow and Ice

We have had the great City Counsillers decide to shut down one whole traffic lane to have bikes

use, nowever a lot of bike rides do not use the lane but ride along the streets and make themselves

a nuisance to others.  I am glad to see that the Thai drivers also do not like and appreciate these

wastes of money. 10 million people in Bagkok alone, and they are Asians, bike lanes are

North America and European ideas. Good Luck with inforcing these lanes in Thailand.

Geezer

Archived