Bangkok bicycle lanes: One big waste of money says Thai media

webfact

No surprises here as with the bicycle lanes elsewhere around town lakes where many people exercise in the evening. The problem is that in the evening people also come to eat at places around the lakes and park their vehicles on the bicycle lane. (actually I never go to my local lake in the evening to exercise as one tends to inhale more polluted air than elsewhere, Ha!)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Years ago they put in bicycle lanes in CM, with blinking lights on the border too. Same same. Why would they think they would work in BKK after that? I think giving a biker more of a misplaced feeling of safety could be dangerous. But it would be nice if it worked. But enforcement against all the encroachers (my word) is still a dream.

Guess they want Thailand to be seen as more of an international city that is becoming more environmentally friendly. Oh well.

They should start by making pedestrians safe.

22 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

A nation so corrupt they can't even put in bicycle lanes.

My ten year old could have predicted installing bicycle lanes in this area would be a complete failure. But, in general, the objective is not the messure of sucsess but the funding that supports the officials that oversee these projects. 

18 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I guess this means down the drain. Maybe not all 28 million has been wasted.:wink:

images (1).jpg

Ok looked it up. Down the pan is actually a Cockney expression for down the drain.

Just to slightly correct you it means “ down the toilet”. In England the toilet bowl is sometimes referred to as a “pan”.

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Despite fines of 2,000 baht being available the police don't enforce the law. They even put no parking signs in the bike lanes impeding cyclists progress, they said.

They could have asked me this in 2015 when they build the first cycle lane, or even in 2008 when they floated the idea, and I could have told them exactly what they discovered the other day.

5 hours ago, chezy86 said:

Just to slightly correct you it means “ down the toilet”. In England the toilet bowl is sometimes referred to as a “pan”.

Thank you but i get it. Down the dunny where I'm from. Gist of my post was the 28 mil may not have been totally wasted on this project as I'm sure quite a bit of it ended up in pockets hence the Merc pic.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:17 PM, z42 said:

Absolutely dreadful. It is shameful that most of the country's ills have a clear path back to 

A, police not doing / unwilling to do their jobs correctly.

B, Bureaucratic decisions made on a whim with very few eyes on the bigger picture (ie anything medium to long term).

BKK roads are much too hazardous and lawless to be even remotely safe for cyclists.

I am lucky that I can cycle in my city here.. But even here the gridlock is getting worse and the routes ever more crowded with cars and trucks driven almost exclusively by unqualified and careless people

You left out:

C.  A totally self-absorbed, me-first, juvenile minded public that simply cannot even grasp the concept of courtesy and consideration for others, let alone laws & regulations, which must seem totally abstract.

And the roads aren't safe for motorists or pedestrians (!) let alone cyclists!!   But this is the "culture" and therefore something to which apologists insist we  must adapt and show respect (or go home)...

On 9/29/2017 at 3:59 AM, NCC1701A said:

A nation so corrupt they can't even put in bicycle lanes.

Only the 3rd most corrupt country in Asia according to Forbes, but heading for the top of the list as we see the story's appearing every day will show. Hub of Corruption then

19 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Only the 3rd most corrupt country in Asia according to Forbes, but heading for the top of the list as we see the story's appearing every day will show. Hub of Corruption then

Corruption! This could be LOS time to shine....hub of hubs?

On ‎29‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 3:15 PM, cyberfarang said:

Not so. It`s down to installing but not having the resources to police and maintain the bicycle lanes. They are relying on the decency of the public which obviously doesn`t work. 

Here`s the proper way, as in London.

bicycle lane.jpg

Just spent 48 million pounds on cycle lanes where I used to live in London and its a complete joke. You can complain all you want about cars blocking them in Thailand sadly in London the cyclists have no great wish to use the cycle lanes.

And if you think having a cycle lane that cuts across where people are getting off a bus is a good idea then there is no hope.

On 9/29/2017 at 9:52 AM, tomwct said:

I agree 100%! I would never ride a bicycle in Bangkok because of the Thai Drivers. They'll run you over without blinking an eye. It's like dodging cars on a crosswalk. You take your life in your hands every time.

That's not the point. Skilful and experienced cyclists can ride in traffic. I have ridden in Denver, London, Bangkok, Paris, Delhi and so on. The point is that the Thais build these bike lanes, as they have done in my home city of Chiang Mai, and the motorists park in them, motorcyclists used them to ride the wrong way, street vendors use them to sell their cr@p and so on. So it's nothing to do with cyclists not using them or it being unsafe to ride in Bangkok, it's to do with the Thais who obey no laws. I shut at the motorcyclists who use our lanes to no avail. With the Thais there is no point in having any road laws. They do what they want. Free spirits all.

On 9/30/2017 at 8:32 AM, elgenon said:

Years ago they put in bicycle lanes in CM, with blinking lights on the border too. Same same. Why would they think they would work in BKK after that? I think giving a biker more of a misplaced feeling of safety could be dangerous. But it would be nice if it worked. But enforcement against all the encroachers (my word) is still a dream.

Guess they want Thailand to be seen as more of an international city that is becoming more environmentally friendly. Oh well.

They should start by making pedestrians safe.

Just for the record: We're cyclists not 'bikers'. Bikers ride motorbikes.

O for pete sake stop complaining about traffic enforcement, I am here because of the lax life style if I wanted someone or the government to follow me around I would have stayed at home and been run over in the bike lanes in the states

On 9/30/2017 at 3:32 PM, hawker9000 said:

You left out:

C.  A totally self-absorbed, me-first, juvenile minded public that simply cannot even grasp the concept of courtesy and consideration for others, let alone laws & regulations, which must seem totally abstract.

And the roads aren't safe for motorists or pedestrians (!) let alone cyclists!!   But this is the "culture" and therefore something to which apologists insist we  must adapt and show respect (or go home)...

I guess you will change Thai culture on your own. Why stay where you are unhappy with the way things are done.

7 hours ago, ianf said:

Just for the record: We're cyclists not 'bikers'. Bikers ride motorbikes.

In your culture. In my area of my country they are indeed "bikers". To each his own. Your use is more precise but the fact remains.

On 10/1/2017 at 7:40 PM, moe666 said:

O for pete sake stop complaining about traffic enforcement, I am here because of the lax life style if I wanted someone or the government to follow me around I would have stayed at home and been run over in the bike lanes in the states

Of course there are about 15 to 20 thousands dies who would agree with you every year....they're relaxed....because they're DEAD.

On 10/1/2017 at 7:44 PM, moe666 said:

I guess you will change Thai culture on your own. Why stay where you are unhappy with the way things are done.

Statistically, if you're in a4wheel vehicle in Thailand you are about as safe as in the US - (not a great accolade!).

however if you are a vulnerable road user, e.g. pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist etc. you comprise about 80% of all road deaths.

the normal statistic that lay people use about Thailand is deaths per 100k, this figure although telling by no means tells the whole story and it bolsters the bigotry of the nape-of-the-neck brigade who like to simplistically put the figures down to the "All Thais are bad drivers" premise, which is clearly a false syllogism.

Of course they have been a waste of time and money. Tax payers money. I cross the road most evenings between the Train park and JJ Park. Motorcycle taxis come flying down the cycle lane. If Thais can find a way to break a law and abuse something, they will. I then attempt to cycle back up the cycle lane with Thais on motorbikes flying down the cycle lane at over 60kph. Also you have to ride on the right of the lane which nearly causes head on accidents. What a balls up!

On 10/2/2017 at 2:55 AM, elgenon said:

In your culture. In my area of my country they are indeed "bikers". To each his own. Your use is more precise but the fact remains.

I am a cyclist. I am not a biker. End of story.

13 hours ago, ianf said:

I am a cyclist. I am not a biker. End of story.

Yes sir. I salute you. Funny the things people get hung up on. You have indeed spoken and this poor mortal is bowing down to your declaration of truth. You win!.

16 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Yes sir. I salute you. Funny the things people get hung up on. You have indeed spoken and this poor mortal is bowing down to your declaration of truth. You win!.

I do not have a monopoly on truth. I was simply say what I am, not what you think I am.

3 minutes ago, ianf said:

I do not have a monopoly on truth. I was simply say what I am, not what you think I am.

I never said you were a "biker". I simply stated what term locals in my country use. You are the most excellent cyclist. I was never talking about you. Yikes. Your approval of my term is not important to me. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2017 at 9:52 AM, tomwct said:

I agree 100%! I would never ride a bicycle in Bangkok because of the Thai Drivers. They'll run you over without blinking an eye. It's like dodging cars on a crosswalk. You take your life in your hands every time.

Riding a bike here in Chiang Mai,just as bad...So whats the solution???

9 hours ago, 6thST said:

Riding a bike here in Chiang Mai,just as bad...So whats the solution???

Be pragmatic, don't ride your bicycle on roads, regardless of whether there is a marked bike lane, only ride on internal paths in parks or whatever.

On 11/21/2017 at 7:36 PM, scorecard said:

Be pragmatic, don't ride your bicycle on roads, regardless of whether there is a marked bike lane, only ride on internal paths in parks or whatever.

THAT'S NOT ALWAYS POSSIBLE.There are times I'm forced to use the roads in heavy traffic no other way to go...I believe its hopeless! Even the law doesn't enforce the law? The one thing they do good is to collect their tea money and giving Thailand a bad reputation.

Archived