Cookin Brown rice in electric rice cooker

oldcarguy

8 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

I have Rye , and Sourdough bread on hand and potatoes too ,  but  rice goes good with lots of food  including Mexician which I cook a lot,

Looks like if I want to cook brown rice I may have to get a "smart" rice cooker , 

Preferably a young one? :whistling: :partytime2:

19 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Arsenic can be found naturally in soil and ground water.  More in some areas than others. It is an element.

Possibly of interest:  http://www.louisianaweekly.com/concerns-grow-about-arsenic-levels-in-rice/

But Thailand's rice is quite low in arsenic (as has been tested) - but brown will have much more than polished white rice.  Below is directly quoted for Thai rice.

Rice bran contained concentrations of total and inorganic arsenic approximately seven and nine times higher, respectively, than those found in the corresponding polished rice. The levels of inorganic arsenic in the three rice types of both polished and brown rice were within the only published regulatory limit of 200 ng/g

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22488070

27 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

My ex Dutch gf showed me: wash brown rice, add 2:1 boiling water, wrap pot in a towel to keep it warm, go to bed and hey presto you’ve got pot full of rice in the morning. It works.

Or buy a termos food bottle - that's what I used for brown rice before coming to Thailand. About 2 hours is enough. Now my wife cooks the rice - alas only white rice of course.

10 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Or buy a termos food bottle - that's what I used for brown rice before coming to Thailand. About 2 hours is enough. Now my wife cooks the rice - alas only white rice of course.

My wife thinks white rice is only good for fried rice. For every day we eat jasmine brown rice.

10 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Or buy a thermos food bottle - that's what I used for brown rice before coming to Thailand. About 2 hours is enough. Now my wife cooks the rice - alas only white rice of course.

how do you do this ?    Temp of water ?  water to rice ratio ?

2 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

how do you do this ?    Temp of water ?  water to rice ratio ?

I rinse the rice in cold water

I mix 1 rice with 2,5 water and bring to boil (to make sure all bacteria etc are killed)

When it boils I put water & rice in termos food bottle(with wide opening)

Put lid on and next wait for water to be completely absorbed

The rice will be at perfect temperature

As there are different brown rices, you may need more / less water - try it once, and you will know for a paricular brand

Any termos style bottle (with wide opening) will do - I rember using a bottle that keeps baby food bottles warm!

3 hours ago, Farang99 said:

My wife thinks white rice is only good for fried rice. For every day we eat jasmine brown rice.

lucky guy..... the taste is so much better & good for the digestive system

Unfortunately most Thais consider brown rice (or sugar) to be poor people's food - just like it was with bread in the old days in Europe.

I gave up when my wife reluctantly added some brown rice to her white rice...... the brown rice was obviously under cooked DEUHHHH.

On 9/30/2017 at 4:32 PM, Craig krup said:

I know that the question is how to cook it, not whether you should, but still....

I love rice from a rice cooker, and I like brown rice. It has lots of useful vitamins and fiber. But, rice is full of arsenic, brown rice is worse than white rice, and the only way to get the arsenic levels right down is to soak the rice, and then cook it plenty of water and drain it. Rice cooker absorption cooking is going to leave you with a lot of arsenic. 

Having said that, if it was a really major problem you'd expect to see it in the cancer rates. I also soak, but then cook using absorption, for curries, so obviously I'm not that worried about it. 

Given that billions of Asians have safely eaten rice daily for thousands of years, I'd say the so-called problem of arsenic is a moot one. 

39 minutes ago, HerbalEd said:

Given that billions of Asians have safely eaten rice daily for thousands of years, I'd say the so-called problem of arsenic is a moot one. 

Have you seen many thousand year old Asians around. ?

The problem of natural contaminants in food is pretty serious; it's a lot more worrying than things like pesticides (at least in countries where the use is regulated). Potatoes are full of solanine. If you invented them today you probably couldn't sell them. Tuna has 50-80 micro grams of mercury per 100g of fish - a lot. 

On 9/30/2017 at 7:29 PM, lvr181 said:

DUH! There are plenty of RELIABLE sources that confirm rice and arsenic! Try reading about it. Could this be a 'new experience' for you? :whistling:

I read this on the internet:

"It (arsenic) affects the brain significantly, and perhaps should be called the dullness mineral because it causes mental dullness and apathy."

That explains a lot, doesn't it? Too many expats on here are eating too much rice.:smile:

There's a lot of people on here pushing brown rice as the better of the two. Here's a very good comparison with scientific studies linked. The conclusion is that neither is better and to eat the one you prefer. There's a bit of information about the arsenic content near the bottom.

https://www.muscleforlife.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice/

49 minutes ago, tropo said:

There's a lot of people on here pushing brown rice as the better of the two. Here's a very good comparison with scientific studies linked. The conclusion is that neither is better and to eat the one you prefer. There's a bit of information about the arsenic content near the bottom.

https://www.muscleforlife.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice/

That's a good read, Tropo, very informative, and written in a no-BS style which gains authoritative Brownie points from me :). 

(BTW, you still making kefir?)

32 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

That's a good read, Tropo, very informative, and written in a no-BS style which gains authoritative Brownie points from me :). 

(BTW, you still making kefir?)

Yes - haven't had a break in over 6 years. The digestive system is working like a charm.:smile:

On 9/30/2017 at 4:32 AM, Craig krup said:

I know that the question is how to cook it, not whether you should, but still....

I love rice from a rice cooker, and I like brown rice. It has lots of useful vitamins and fiber. But, rice is full of arsenic, brown rice is worse than white rice, and the only way to get the arsenic levels right down is to soak the rice, and then cook it plenty of water and drain it. Rice cooker absorption cooking is going to leave you with a lot of arsenic. 

Having said that, if it was a really major problem you'd expect to see it in the cancer rates. I also soak, but then cook using absorption, for curries, so obviously I'm not that worried about it. 

Not Thai Rice!  The arsenic problem is basically confined to USA rice from southern states where the fields were used for cotton previously.  The cotton fields were dosed with arsenic to kill the boll weavel which was destroying the cotton crop.  Asian rice and especially brown rice is very low in trace arsenic.  Here is a video on the subject from nutritioninfo's dr. greger.  There is also a video on the site about cooking rice to minimize arsenic content.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/which-brands-and-sources-of-rice-have-the-least-arsenic/

On 9/30/2017 at 12:10 PM, Damrongsak said:

Arsenic can be found naturally in soil and ground water.  More in some areas than others. It is an element.

Possibly of interest:  http://www.louisianaweekly.com/concerns-grow-about-arsenic-levels-in-rice/

naturally, after years of dumping it on the soil during the cotton is KING years!

4 hours ago, dontoearth said:

naturally, after years of dumping it on the soil during the cotton is KING years!

Oh, get real, it occurs naturally in many areas.  In Michigan (USA) there are areas up in the boondocks that had a lot of copper, chunks of it.  Some was very pure, some was what they called "arsenical copper".  Not saying it's not been abused, but some areas aren't suited for both paddy rice and cotton production.  You an aggie guy?

On 10/10/2017 at 11:42 PM, Damrongsak said:

Oh, get real, it occurs naturally in many areas.  In Michigan (USA) there are areas up in the boondocks that had a lot of copper, chunks of it.  Some was very pure, some was what they called "arsenical copper".  Not saying it's not been abused, but some areas aren't suited for both paddy rice and cotton production.  You an aggie guy?

I have heard that too.  The nutritionfacts.org article I posted specifically concentrates on areas that should not be used for rice production unless we can find a strain that doesn't absorb arsenic.  Rice grown in Michigan?  Never heard that before!

On 10/6/2017 at 2:06 AM, tropo said:

"It (arsenic) affects the brain significantly, and perhaps should be called the dullness mineral because it causes mental dullness and apathy."

I wonder if eating to much rice is affecting my inlaws. They eat a lot of rice and have been making very bad decisions lately. Arsenic from rice could be the cause of their extra mental dullness.

• 3 weeks later...

here is my recipe 
Rinse and drain 2 cups of brown rice.
Put it in the rice cooker.  Instead of filling the cooker with water to the "2 cup" mark, fill it to the "3 cup" mark in your rice cooker.  That usually means 3 cups of water for the 2 cups of brown rice. 
Add a ½ teaspoon of sea salt.
Turn cooker on.

Archived