"Smart Zebra Crossing" can be a life saver for tourists!

rooster59

"Smart Zebra Crossing" can be a life saver for tourists!

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GOy8fsYSdVUeE9dDPv.jpg

Thai Rath

The Highways department have confirmed that they are about to introduce Thailand's first "smart crossing" outside a market in Hua Hin.

The resort town has been chosen for the new technology from Japan because of the preponderance of Thai and foreign tourists that could be saved.

Apichart Charnthankorn of the Prajuab highways department called it the "Smart Cross Walk".

It consists of 32 solar panel lights that will embedded across the road at 1.2 meter intervals.

They will provide light at night. Thai Rath reported helpfully that solar panels charge during the day utilizing sunlight.

Apichart said that locals didn't want an unsightly road crossing in the area outside the Chatchai market so this is a great solution. The area chosen is full of tourists who would benefit due to the increased safety, he said.

If it is a success then the crossings will be installed in 14 southern provinces along the Petchkasem Road.

The installation work on the first one is being done free of charge by a private company and will take just two hours to complete on Monday.

Thaivisa reported on the story earlier in the week.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-30

8 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

A smart crosswalk would have bars to keep people from crossing until there isn't any vehicles in sight.

Lighting up the pedestrians will just give a better quality accident video for the security cams.

I love Thai Visa members, they just fill me with positivity and hope...

9 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

A smart crosswalk would have bars to keep people from crossing until there isn't any vehicles in sight.

Lighting up the pedestrians will just give a better quality accident video for the security cams.

And a very smart crosswalk would have automatic barriers for the vehicles to protect the pedestrians when attempting to cross..................:thumbsup:

Not knocking the idea, but the choice of position is really stupid.  It's outside the market on a stretch of Pechkasem Road that has almost a permanent queue for the traffic lights.  Most of the time  the traffic isn't moving!  How can they possibly measure any success.  Another plan with absolutely no thought.

That will do nothing but create a false sense of security in the minds of tourist who are use to cars yielding to pedestrians in their home countries, but fail to realize that vehicles don't yield to pedestrians in Thailand, even at cross walks.  Let's count the accident and fatalities a year after it's implemented.  That's assuming those statistics don't get swept under the rug.  :sleep:

Amazing how bureaucrats here can completely miss the point...

Newsflash:   The problem ISN'T that zebra crossings aren't well LIGHTED!

I love Pollyannas, so taken with fantasy and delusion and defensive of all things Thai yet always a moment to spare for witless mockery of fellow TV members.

10 hours ago, Freed1948 said:

Hello!!! The law says motorists have to give way to pedestrians on a crossing.

Just enforce this law and our crossing worries will b e over.

Just saw some pigs flying past my window!!!!

You know we uneducated Farang and tourists are taught in our country that cars must give way to people on  zebra crossings Here its an invitation for drivers to run the people over. Surely the Thais drivers are taught that when they went go for there drivers license test ( what test)That cars must give way to people on a zebra crossings I am just thinking now how many tourists have nearly been run over because they cross the road on a zebra crossing thinking they are doing the right thing and then nearly get run over I know i nearly get  run over when i first come here But i guess its hard to teach brainless drivers and get the useless police to force the rules To Them Zebra crossings are just nice paintings to decorate the road. You right Freed I just saw some pigs fly past my window to

16 hours ago, RichardinHuaHin said:

I think the only way this will make it safer is if they have large steel posts pop up from the street to protect the people so the cars that don't stop will be totaled out.  Of course finding a good engineer to do this would require work permits.

They need those devices that pop out of the pavement and shred your tires if you drive over them.  They could be coordinated with the traffic signals.  Some enterprising tire manufacturer should promote this idea and increase tire sales tenfold!

http://www.roadshark.com/

Last month i was sit in a minivan and goodluck with all the plans smart crossing ,gps trackers, microbusses etc its all useless. I will say it here never ever going to ride in a minivan again. I asked the driver guy to drive normal i told the guy i will video him and put his driving style on u tube but he not cared i told him even in thai language so up urs with all the smart plans they are bastards risking other people lives so they be home eat noodlesoup 15 minutes earlier and he said he removed his gps tracker already from his minivan! One suggestion speeding cams work fine those speeding carbage people but no cams or traffic cops so drivers do what the want!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Last month i was sit in a minivan and goodluck with all the plans smart crossing ,gps trackers, microbusses etc its all useless. I will say it here never ever going to ride in a minivan again. I asked the driver guy to drive normal i told the guy i will video him and put his driving style on u tube but he not cared i told him even in thai language so up urs with all the smart plans they are bastards risking other people lives so they be home eat noodlesoup 15 minutes earlier and he said he removed his gps tracker already from his minivan! One suggestion speeding cams work fine those speeding carbage people but no cams or traffic cops so drivers do what the want!!!!!

Its the law of the jungle out there Destiny I will never ever take a minivan

Apichart said that locals didn't want an unsightly road crossing in the area outside the Chatchai market so this is a great solution. The area chosen is full of tourists who would benefit due to the increased safety, he said.

But red & white fencing in center of road, unapproved random signage all over the shop and usual $ hit loads of overhead cabling is quite alright here in Thailand.

When/if fitted it will be a deathtrap to the poor people trusting to use it and any foreigner daft enough to stop at it as locals will completely ignore the crossing and not even slow down never mind stop...?

There is already a 'normal' crossing there.  It's possibly one of the safest crossings as most of the time the traffic is at a standstill waiting for the traffic lights to change.  The positioning of this 'experiment' is beyond belief.

‘Smart crosswalk’ project kicks off in Hua Hin

By The Nation

HUA HIN: -- The Highway Department along with a private firm have installed solar-cell lamps on a pedestrian crossing at the Hua Hin Market as part of the “smart crosswalk” project for 14 southern provinces.

Apichart Charnthanyakorn, director of Prachuap Khiri Khan Highway office, led some 20 workers from the East Asia Traffic Co Ltd to install 32 road-embedded solar-cell lamps on the Phetkasem Road pedestrian crossing at the Hua Hin market.

Apichart said the lamps would reflect the white strips of the crossing for motorists to see at night so that they could slow down. The battery would last 12 hours.

Apichart said the lamps would be connected to traffic lights at crossings and the lamps would be turned on when pedestrians see the signal to cross the road.

He said each lamp cost Bt100,000 and they were embedded at the edges of white strips, about 1.2 metres apart. Each lamp will last five years.

The Hua Hin market was chosen for the trial because the night market is a key tourism landmark, he added.

He said the installation at the Hua Hin market was on a trial basis. If it proved successful, more would be installed along Phetkasem Road in 14 southern provinces.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30328411

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-04

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Highway Department along with a private firm have installed solar-cell lamps on a pedestrian crossing at the Hua Hin Market as part of the “smart crosswalk” project for 14 southern provinces.

Are they going to install these on motorist to make them SMART ?:shock1:

Archived