"Smart Zebra Crossing" can be a life saver for tourists!

rooster59

Hua Hin chosen as the first town for smart zebra crossing trial to ensure safe crossing at nights

By Thai PBS

0410007.jpg

Crossing streets in Thailand’s famous seaside resort town of Hua Hin in Prachuab Kiri Khan province will be soon safer after highway authorities are introducing a solar powered intelligent traffic instruction system to enable Asafe crossing.

The system called “Smart Zebra Crossing” is designed to inform and instruct people to obey the traffic rule, and for safe road crossing.

The Department of Highways said it has selected Hua Hin the first place in the country for the launch of the smart zebra crossing system, a new technology from Japan, because it is famous resort town popular among local and foreign visitors.

Full story:  http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/hua-hin-chosen-first-town-smart-zebra-crossing-trial-ensure-safe-crossing-nights/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-10-04

On 9/30/2017 at 10:51 AM, rooster59 said:

Apichart said that locals didn't want an unsightly road crossing in the area outside the Chatchai market

Never really considered road crossings unsightly myself. If I was a local I would want anything that helps people to cross the road and to my shop/stall

"He said each lamp cost Bt100,000 and they were embedded at the edges of white strips, about 1.2 metres apart. Each lamp will last five years."

I doubt this figure for each lamp?

Not sure what the law says about motorists and pedestrians obligations when using any pedestrian crossing ?

Anyone out there can explain the law ?

A waste if time and money, Thais will not stop for pedestrians as they are not important. Pattaya spent millions of baht installing 42 sets of lights with ped crossings, they turned them all off, it was worth your life to cross on a green walk light. I remember the flags they had on the side of the road in BKK for pedestrians to use. They scrapped those when a big truck mowed down a couple of tourists usng them. waste of money.,

don't look down look up....Why do they not build pedestrian flyovers...there are some in Pattaya but I don't remember any in Hua Hin....but its been a while since I was there.

And BKK has the whole center of the town covered in Sky Walk ....KISS....(keep it simple stupid) only problem most/some
people / dim wits will try crossing the road 30 yards from a safe fly over.

13 hours ago, biggles45 said:

A waste if time and money, Thais will not stop for pedestrians as they are not important. Pattaya spent millions of baht installing 42 sets of lights with ped crossings, they turned them all off, it was worth your life to cross on a green walk light. I remember the flags they had on the side of the road in BKK for pedestrians to use. They scrapped those when a big truck mowed down a couple of tourists usng them. waste of money.,

Lol Lol So true biggles You are a brave person to use a zebra crossing here. They will just run you down  When the police ask the driver what happened he would say they were in the middle of the road walking across the zebra crossing what was i supposed to do stop. Police was would say"true on your way driver" Just be careful next time ok  

On 10/4/2017 at 2:17 PM, Cuchulainn said:

...............Crossing streets in Thailand’s famous seaside resort town of Hua Hin in Prachuab Kiri Khan province will be soon safer..............  :cheesy: 

famous last words!!

They forgot to do one thing Tell the Thai drivers to stop for people using zebra crossings Not they would listen anyway

Archived