Fishing Tips

ltdknowledge

Hi

As i have a some free time i have decided to have a go at fishing, however i i don't know the first thing about it. I have just bought some equipment and to cover my embarressment i got my GF to say she was buying it as a present for her father.

Anyway can anyone tell me how i put the stuff together as the last time i went fishing was when i was 10 but my friend wouldn't let me play.

I have a rod, some small yellow beads, some bando leports whatever they are. 3 weight various and the hooks. I'm know where the hook goes, but i am not sure what the beads are for or the bando and what order they are attached in.

Any basic advice much appreaciated

Edited by ltdknowledge

Tomorrow we are going to Kho Chang. My GF wants to sea fish, we have the kit but were probably jumping ahead of ourselves. We are then driving up to Sakeao were we will go to the river and a near by resevoir which is supposed to be good for fishing too.. We live in Bangbon and there is a man made fishing thingy outside our house.

I was practising in the garden and i have already drawn blood twice.

Edited by ltdknowledge

Ok, if you are going to Koh chang this is what you should do.........

Get a weight with the hole in the middle and thread the line through it, have the pointy end pointing down. After that put a bead on the line. Then tie a swivel onto the line. You can use many knots, I recommend the Uni knot, very strong and easy, use for tieing hooks, swivels etc, also can use double uni for joining lines.

Now take a piece of line about 2-3 foot long, tie a hook on one end and tie the other end to the swivel. Bait up with a long strip of squid or oily fish such as tuna.

Find some rocks that have deep water infront, not a beach or sand area. cast out a little but not to far as you will lose your stuff in the coral. Tighten the line and wait to feel the bite, when you feel the bite strike.

Also go to buy a prawn lure, 1 hr before the sun goes down start casting and retrieving the lure, you should catch a few squid. You will notice that most squid are caught in a 10-15 min period as the light is fading.

Good luck!

What a dissaster. I'm usually preaty good with most things, like to think of myself as a good all rounder when it comes to sport. I made sure nobody was around when i tried just to cover my embarresment, cast off if that's the term, and it landed about 1 mtr infront of me, worst of all the wire came out from the real in a massive tanggle which was impossible to sort. This i tried 10 times or more with the same result. After nearly running out of wire i gave up as some other people that looked like they new what they were doing came to fish. I sat there with my BBQ and my rod laid on the floor looking like i was cooking what i caught. It was chicken btw.

Anyway the following day i bought another reel of wire. Now i'm not sure if this is the right thing to do, but around the reel is a thin bar which winds the wire up, this flips down. When i flipped it down and cast off it flew for about 20mtrs or so, i then flicked it back up to reel in. It work anyway. What was annoying though is my GF wanted to show me how she used to fish as a child. She just used a few mtrs of wire and threw it into the see. It took 10 seconds for here to catch something, i was there all day without a catch.

As a teen i always put fishing down saying it was boring, but excuse the pun i think i'm actually hooked. That could be because i having nothing else to do though.

What a dissaster. I'm usually preaty good with most things, like to think of myself as a good all rounder when it comes to sport. I made sure nobody was around when i tried just to cover my embarresment, cast off if that's the term, and it landed about 1 mtr infront of me, worst of all the wire came out from the real in a massive tanggle which was impossible to sort. This i tried 10 times or more with the same result.

What type of reel are you using?

Daiwa-Emcast-5000.jpg

Fixed spool

abu-classic_200w.jpg

Multiplier

If you are just starting out I recommend the fixed spool. Multipliers can be difficult to cast for beginners, the knack to them is to apply your thumb to the line before you cast, let the line go when your rod is angled at 45ish degrees towards the horizon. Be sure to reapply the thumb just before the tackle hits the water or you will find yourself facing a birds nest to unravel.