Immigration closing days at the end of the month

Does anyone know how many days immigration will be closed at the end of the month? (26th October) I've been told it will be closed for a week, but that sounds a bit crazy. I need to do my yearly extension at the end of the month and am worried it will be very busy. 

3 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Does anyone know how many days immigration will be closed at the end of the month? (26th October) I've been told it will be closed for a week, but that sounds a bit crazy. I need to do my yearly extension at the end of the month and am worried it will be very busy. 

just do it before they close,i have done an extension 40days before the actual date.

40 minutes ago, meatboy said:

just do it before they close,i have done an extension 40days before the actual date.

At which immigration office?

Normally 30 days before maximum, but up to 45 days before possible at a few offices.

9 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Normally 30 days before maximum, but up to 45 days before possible at a few offices.

Good point. The OP (and anyone else with concerns on hours of business) should approach the immigration office that they plan on dealing with and enquire.

There's already been approval for legions of government workers in the provinces to take time off between now and the cremation to pay their respects in person in Bangkok. I think this is to avoid the possibility of several days of closures in addition to the announced national holiday on 26th. I would imagine that some smaller amphurs and immigration offices may close completely for at least a day so that they can bus all the staff to Bangkok and back. With the nations penchant for long weekends, I would suggest that Monday 16th of October and Friday 20th of October may be used to extend the official 1-day national holidays into a couple of 4-day weekends.

Even at 30 days before you can do it now. Save any hassle or getting wound up if (as i suspect) they close for longer. I think paying respects to there King comes higher on there Agenda than visa extension that can and should be done before those dates.

No im not having a pop or anything just using a bit of comon dog <deleted>

Edited by jeab1980

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I would imagine that some smaller amphurs and immigration offices may close completely for at least a day so that they can bus all the staff to Bangkok and back. With the nations penchant for long weekends, I would suggest that Monday 16th of October and Friday 20th of October may be used to extend the official 1-day national holidays into a couple of 4-day weekends.

That is pure supposition and nothing more.

The cabinet is the only entity that can declare additional holidays and that has not happened.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The cabinet is the only entity that can declare additional holidays and that has not happened.

Whilst this is 100% correct, I do also think that those outside of main catchment areas such as Bangkok, Chonburi, Phuket etc. would be wise to allow a little more time, although they may not actually close the immigration office outposts, there is a possibility of staff shortages if a larger than normal percentage of staff take annual leave to go to Bangkok to pay their respects.

It doesn't harm to be prepared.

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

But I am not talking about national holidays being extended for everyone.

There was an announcement made that government office workers were being permitted time-off in October to go to Bangkok before the cremation to pay respects. This could lead to slow business dealings due to staff shortages.

There was a thread announcing this posted in TV news a few weeks back.

The small amphur in Nong Wua So is one that has been or will be closed for a few additional days before the cremation for staff to go to Bangkok. AFAIK the main immigration offices in Nong Khai and Udon will be business as usual outside the declared holidays but may be slower service due to staff shortages.

Up to people to check locally. That's all I am suggesting. It is Thailand after all and one thing they are consistently good at here is their inconsistency.

Edited by NanLaew

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

There was an announcement made that government office workers were being permitted time-off in October to go to Bangkok before the cremation to pay respects.

Paying respects prior to the cremation ends on Thursday the 5th. It was extended from the 30th by the King.

Perhaps that announcement was for last month.

8 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Whilst this is 100% correct, I do also think that those outside of main catchment areas such as Bangkok, Chonburi, Phuket etc. would be wise to allow a little more time, although they may not actually close the immigration office outposts, there is a possibility of staff shortages if a larger than normal percentage of staff take annual leave to go to Bangkok to pay their respects.

It doesn't harm to be prepared.

I would suggest that anybody do their business before the week of the 23nd if possible. Immigration will only be open the 24th, 25th and 27th that week.

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

my last extension 2016 due 18th.dec. done on the 4th.nov.=44days before at KORAT immigration.

On 10/2/2017 at 9:44 AM, jeab1980 said:

extension that can and should be done before those dates.

And, assuming immigrations is closed for multiple days, planning to go in once immigrations is open again will undoubtedly mean you'll have to contend with a substantial crowd with a backlog of immigration business queuing up with you.

Its all assumptions as everyone says all that is known is the dates that are already published as national holidays. What will happen in reality no one really knows. My way of thinking is preemptive if you need to do something at Immigration or government building do it the week starting 16th. Then there will be no getting upset and wound up then posting how bad xyand z are saying one thing doing another.

Government officers will be expected to work over the period. But as goverment officials work where! They may be immigration police but nothing to say there will only be a skeleton staff at immigration offices whilst the rest are A. On extra leave. B. Seconded to other duties.

I suspect more so in BKK than province's but even in province there may only be skeleton staff from 24th. Who knows. 

Be wise do it before.

Edited by jeab1980