Monk scoops 18 million baht in the National Lottery

webfact

12 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Monks can gamble?  I thought they were supposed to not have anything to do with money?  Seems not very Buddhist, and setting a bad example to Buddhist followers.  

Actually ticket sellers pay for concessions to sell tickets in popular temples.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Lets see if the Buddhist that were outraged about the farang having Buddha head on is garden wall will be as upset about this monk.  

The height of hypocrisy .......and/or sheer ignorance..........The uneducated latter I think....They dont even understand their own religion!

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Monk scoops 18 million baht in the National Lottery

4pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A Buddhist monk in Surin has won 18 million baht in the National Lottery draw held yesterday.

Phra Somthip Ananyo - or just plain Somthip Jaemsai - went to Jorm Phra police yesterday evening to register his claim.

He showed his three tickets, that were bought in the local market, to reporters.

He asked police not to reveal his temple's exact location and his address saying that would be dangerous.

He arrived at the police station with his father, relatives and other monks.

He said he would spend a proportion of his windfall on "making merit".

He plans to go to Bangkok to claim his fortune in the next few days.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-02

The Buddha will be proud of him!

20 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Monks can gamble?  I thought they were supposed to not have anything to do with money?  Seems not very Buddhist, and setting a bad example to Buddhist followers.  

I think that the idea of having nothing to do with money came up about 2500 years ago. It might have been possible back then. Do you really think it is still possible now?

8 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I'm sure they'll all be distraught at your announcement. 

Did anyone consider that he may have been given the lottery tickets?   Nowhere does it say that he bought them.

Yea someone 'gave him' what a 'Thai' response  lol

You are obviously clueless about Buddhism and we don't need your uninformed trolling thanks.

On 02/10/2017 at 2:51 PM, jak2002003 said:

They get heaps of money when sending 9 monks to bless a house etc etc...

best I do not say anymore !!!!

8 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

I think that the idea of having nothing to do with money came up about 2500 years ago. It might have been possible back then. Do you really think it is still possible now?

Yes.  They are still required not to physically handle money.  Also not use money to pay for things themselves.  Often they will take another person from the temple along with them to buy things, and that person handles the money.

50 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Yes.  They are still required not to physically handle money.  Also not use money to pay for things themselves.  Often they will take another person from the temple along with them to buy things, and that person handles the money.

that's a work around.... The point is that back then, it was probably possible to simply live without money. Now it is not. And as on any religion in the world, there are many ways of practice and each person finds the best way to practice their beliefs.

4 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

that's a work around.... The point is that back then, it was probably possible to simply live without money. Now it is not. And as on any religion in the world, there are many ways of practice and each person finds the best way to practice their beliefs.

Are you saying, monks in a temple can do as they like?  I thought they had to follow some rules about conduct.. like no alcohol and celibacy etc.  

These Monks are not just Buddhist followers, they have chosen to become monks... and that is why the general population respect them and bow down to them... give them alms etc.. as they are taking care of the spiritual wellbeing of the population.. 

17 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Yea someone 'gave him' what a 'Thai' response  lol

You are obviously clueless about Buddhism and we don't need your uninformed trolling thanks.

No, I'm not clueless but, anyway, that's just your opinion so it doesn't matter.  Is having an opinion different to yours justification for calling me an uninformed troll?  I think not.

On 10/3/2017 at 7:00 AM, LukKrueng said:

well when did it change???

• 1 month later...

Archived