2018 Accord

• 2 weeks later...

Yes.

The outgoing model looks the exact same in the US and Thailand so I think it'll be the same for the new model.

Speaking of which, the Accord will have a 2.0L turbo for the top of the line model vs Camry's 3.5L V6, which will obviously not be available in Thailand due to taxes.

Unless Toyota comes up with something to compete with the 2.0L turbo here, Accord is a straight win, 50 more hp than Camry's 2.5L.

And the Accord's 1.5L turbo with CVT will no doubt be a hit here and will most likely outsell Camry again because people are now demanding smaller engines.

14 hours ago, MatteoBassini said:

Yes.

The outgoing model looks the exact same in the US and Thailand so I think it'll be the same for the new model.

Speaking of which, the Accord will have a 2.0L turbo for the top of the line model vs Camry's 3.5L V6, which will obviously not be available in Thailand due to taxes.

Unless Toyota comes up with something to compete with the 2.0L turbo here, Accord is a straight win, 50 more hp than Camry's 2.5L.

And the Accord's 1.5L turbo with CVT will no doubt be a hit here and will most likely outsell Camry again because people are now demanding smaller engines.

I'd be very surprised if we get the 2.0 turbo accord here. The price would be well beyond 2M baht. 

Yes.

Thais demanding smaller engines? From what I've seen they have an American mindset and prefer a larger, older, cruder design of engine to a smaller, more powerful and efficient engine.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

On 10/14/2017 at 9:44 AM, DavisH said:

I'd be very surprised if we get the 2.0 turbo accord here. The price would be well beyond 2M baht. 

I think it will be around 1,900,000 and I'm guessing based on this:

- The 2017 2.4L Accord (with quite a few options) in the US is for sale at $28,000. And the new 2018 2.0L turbo Accord with all the options (Touring) will be priced at $35,000. That's a $7,000 difference, 230,000 baht.

- The same 2.4L Accord in Thailand is for sale at 1,635,000 baht, so just add another 230,000 baht and you have 1,865,000 baht.

Previously, V6's were no longer sold and have not been sold here for decades because of emissions and engine displacement taxes. The 2.0L turbo Accord will not subject to the same taxes and the emissions are much lower and the engine displacement falls within the same tax brackets as all the other cars with 1.5L-2.5L engines.

Also, if they price it above 2 million, most buyers will start looking at the base Mercedes CLA (which is an inferior product in every single way but badges can fool a lot of people).

On 10/14/2017 at 10:56 AM, JaseTheBass said:

Thais demanding smaller engines? From what I've seen they have an American mindset and prefer a larger, older, cruder design of engine to a smaller, more powerful and efficient engine.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

It's what I observed when I read the comments of the announcement of the Yaris Ativ (sedan), which is basically a new Vios with 1.2L engine instead of a 1.5L. Most responses involved asking why Toyota did not do this before with the Vios and that many said no one's going to buy the Vios now because you get the same car with a smaller engine with more tech inside but nearly 200,000 baht cheaper. It has to do with people's perception that smaller engines are more economical.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if Honda is bringing the 2018 Accord to Thailand at the Motor Expo? I can't seem to find any info apart from some bold new color for the Civic...

I dont think Honda would go higher than the Camry's top model at 1.85M. That would be already a quite big increase from the previous model. Of course I'm hoping they'd keep close to the 1.635M of the current top model, maybe 1.75M.

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

No Hab ...

Thanks a lot JAS21! That pretty much eliminates my desire to go to the show. Had interest in 3 vehicles and none seem to be at the show. Will wait till the Motor Show in march I guess. Again thanks for checking this for me.

4 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Thanks a lot JAS21! That pretty much eliminates my desire to go to the show. Had interest in 3 vehicles and none seem to be at the show. Will wait till the Motor Show in march I guess. Again thanks for checking this for me.

I think we will see the camry early in 2018 and the accord will be along later in 2018. To me, the camry looks the better of the two, but that isn't saying much. Both look rather uninspiring. 

12 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I think we will see the camry early in 2018 and the accord will be along later in 2018. To me, the camry looks the better of the two, but that isn't saying much. Both look rather uninspiring. 

I guess it all depends on how much old models they have in stock. They will try to sell those as much as possible before introducing the new one. The only glimmer of hope is that Thailand is the manufacturing place for these cars that are destined for a bunch of countries so I'd hope they wont be too late to introduce it here.

Looks are a matter of taste of course. For me the Accord looks much better, a design that I think will age much more gracefully than the Camrys. As for features and quality I think they wont be too much apart but the cooled seats (in combination with remote start) in the Accord are something that I'm definitely looking forward to. Finally stepping into a parked car might be a pleasant experience instead of a jump into the frying pan :)

• 3 months later...

So, the Motor Show just started and I can't find any mentioning of Honda bringing the 2018 Accord model to Thailand. Does anyone have any definite information on this? I really wanted to buy one in the coming months.

• 4 months later...

A sales person from Honda Maliwan in Phuket told me today the new Accord will arrive probably in February. It wasn't clear but I'd guess they'll show the car at the Motor Expo end of November and deliveries around February. They didn't know about prices yet.

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

It'll probably arrive about the time Honda are replacing it in other markets and it'll have their 90's spec 1.8 or 2.4 engines, going on how Honda usually does things here.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Probably a wise decision using a proven bullet proof lump here..

10 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

It'll probably arrive about the time Honda are replacing it in other markets and it'll have their 90's spec 1.8 or 2.4 engines, going on how Honda usually does things here.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Highly unlikely imho. With what model did they follow such a pattern?

• 3 weeks later...

I saw these new Accords in the states just this month and they look really sharp! I was turning my head, like "Accord? Really?!!" The rear of the car does hold some similar shapes to the Mercedes CLS. 

I'd like to confirm that Paradise Honda in Chiang Mai said Feb is when these "new" 2018 models will be available in LOS. It's pretty crap that we have to wait 6+ months after the rest of the world, but such is life here. 

I'd also like to comment: yuk!! About the new "shifter," aka push button transmission ???? See pic... That looks really annoying, don't think I'd wanna deal w that on a day to day basis...

Also wanted to confirm that the Mercedes CLA are complete garbage. Rented one last year, total low end plasticky feel. Really cheap feeling overall, I would have been really frustrated and disappointed had I actually bought one. The only thing you're paying for is the emblem...

new-2018-honda-accord_sedan-exl20tautomatic-8451-17380460-27-1024.jpg

Good to hear confirmation for what the dealer in Phuket told me, February it is then.

BTW it's more like 16 months. The first 2018 Accords had been delivered in October 2017 I think.

I would not be worried about the push-button shifter. Note how the buttons are physically different to provide tactile feedback for your hand so you can operate it easily without looking. I've driven cars with similar setups and I find them quite nice. Nicer than the stick shifts, you just have to get used to it. And many people say the 10-speed auto in the 2.0T version is a really good transmission.

Regarding the Mercedes CLA: yes, I think a lot of people might also start to consider the offerings from Mercedes or BMW when thinking about a top tier 2018 Accord costing probably close to 1.9M and those premium brands starting around 2.2M. ~15% more and you get a premium brand? Sounds nice at first but then one has to consider that it's top-of-the-line Honda vs bottom-of-the-line Merc/BMW. Apart from the badge/design, one actually gets quite a bit less from those. Much weaker engines, less features and astonishingly, the material and fit'n'finish on those models can be lower than what you get in the Accord. I myself was thinking about a BMW X1 for example. Costs not much more, has quite some space inside and looks nice. Reviews say it's a nice car. But is it a better car vs the Accord? I doubt it. BMW will also show the new 3 series this week, will see what that ends up being.

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Dmitry2222 said:

Offcial price in the US $23,570 - $35,800.

What is expected cost for Accord 2018? 1.6 MB - 2.4 MB? ????

2.4m no way - we won't get the 2.0 turbo here. I expect similar prices t the current ones, or just a small increase, as normally happens. I don't even know if we will get the 1.5 turbo found in the US civic. There aren't many other engine options, which leave with the old 2.0 and 2.4.

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

2.4m no way - we won't get the 2.0 turbo here. I expect similar prices t the current ones, or just a small increase, as normally happens. I don't even know if we will get the 1.5 turbo found in the US civic. There aren't many other engine options, which leave with the old 2.0 and 2.4.

I agree, 2.4M would be crazy, most people at that point would just buy a BMW or Merc for the status effect. I also think the new one will be slightly more expensive, but hopefully not much. And I really hope it will get the 2.0 Turbo engine, I highly doubt they will use the old engines. Maybe just the 1.5 Turbo but that would be a shame. The cars they make here will be also for other markets so I'd think they'll also make the 2.0 Turbo. We'll see I guess.

14 hours ago, eisfeld said:

I agree, 2.4M would be crazy, most people at that point would just buy a BMW or Merc for the status effect. I also think the new one will be slightly more expensive, but hopefully not much. And I really hope it will get the 2.0 Turbo engine, I highly doubt they will use the old engines. Maybe just the 1.5 Turbo but that would be a shame. The cars they make here will be also for other markets so I'd think they'll also make the 2.0 Turbo. We'll see I guess.

You can bet it will be priced within the new Camry prices. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2017 at 7:36 PM, MatteoBassini said:

Yes.

i really like the new accord, i think they have in hybrid ,my wife dont,she only like the civic!

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, eisfeld said:

According to Paul Tan we wont be getting the 2.0 10 speed auto and instead only get models with CVT. <deleted> Honda! Way to go, always find a way to screw it up.

https://paultan.org/2019/02/28/2019-honda-accord-launching-next-month-in-thailand-1-5l-turbo-2-0l-hybrid-for-the-10th-generation/

Why do folks who have never used a Honda CVT pass a verdict on it. Its not like other CVTs, i love a good whinge, but Honda dont merit one. 

3 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Why do folks who have never used a Honda CVT pass a verdict on it. Its not like other CVTs, i love a good whinge, but Honda dont merit one. 

Why do folks who know nothing about the other person assume they never used a Honda CVT? I'm driving a Jazz with a CVT around the past 2 months... and yes I can't stand it.

PS: I'm not saying it's a bad car. I'm saying Honda offers a 10 speed auto in other countries and could have offered it here as well but decided that the Thai market is not interested in it. They do it all the time, leaving features or models out. And that's the part I really don't like.

Of course I'm going to test ride the car and see if it's good enough, but I'll always know it could be better.

PPS: I'm fairly convinced that Honda is pretty bad at their market strategies. The best example was when they brought the Africa Twin to Thailand by advertising everywhere the white color option and then decided to not sell white but only silver instead, saying young people here love silver. Well, silver sold badly and one year later they relented and offered white. Or their decision to mate certain colors with a specific gearbox which they also reverted after a year.

Archived