2018 Accord

48 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Why do folks who know nothing about the other person assume they never used a Honda CVT? I'm driving a Jazz with a CVT around the past 2 months... and yes I can't stand it.

PS: I'm not saying it's a bad car. I'm saying Honda offers a 10 speed auto in other countries and could have offered it here as well but decided that the Thai market is not interested in it. They do it all the time, leaving features or models out. And that's the part I really don't like.

Of course I'm going to test ride the car and see if it's good enough, but I'll always know it could be better.

PPS: I'm fairly convinced that Honda is pretty bad at their market strategies. The best example was when they brought the Africa Twin to Thailand by advertising everywhere the white color option and then decided to not sell white but only silver instead, saying young people here love silver. Well, silver sold badly and one year later they relented and offered white. Or their decision to mate certain colors with a specific gearbox which they also reverted after a year.

How Sad, Never Mind.

To further illustrate why I would prefer the 10 speed auto to the CVT (actually it isn't really a CVT but let's roll with it as it has the same effects) this [1] seems a good review showcasing the issue of the combustion engine noise being disconnected from the actual acceleration. This [3] sound-only video shows the effect very clearly.

Edmunds [2] writes also:

As you ask for more power, the engine's steady, strained growl makes max acceleration unpleasant.

The Accord Hybrid offers decent overall comfort. It insulates against traffic noise particularly well, though there are a number of unpleasant drivetrain noises

At low speed, there are some high-pitched noises from the drivetrain that make their way into the cabin. Unless you're very sensitive, though, they're not loud enough to be troublesome. At freeway speeds, the gas engine emits a constant unpleasant note, although it's also not particularly loud.

[1]

[2] https://www.edmunds.com/honda/accord-hybrid/2018/

[3]

The Jazz that I use atm is a 2016, so should be same CVT as the current model. I haven't seen a CVT so far that properly mimics a gearbox even though it would be trivial to implement in software alone. They all switch to the RPM that generates the most power for a while when trying to accelerate (and be noisy), then they stay there and then they go back a more fuel efficient RPM. If it were not for the noise, it would actually be nice. But these engines produce a really ugly sound. There's not one reviewer which prefers the hybrid "CVT" to the 10 speed. The 10 speed gets glowing reviews all around. Am not the only one who would prefer it ????

I can probably live with the Hybrid. Cars are more of a utility to me than a fun device. I got my motorbikes for that job. A test drive will tell.

Which 3 series do you have? I had a 5 series for a week and also wasn't impressed with the transmission there. At least I think it was the transmission, during coasting it would sometimes suddenly feel like it tried to shift and lost power for a split second. I liked the Audio A6 that I got after that a lot more. Funnily I think they both used the ZF 8HP transmission.

• 2 weeks later...

Honda has put up the page for the new Accord Hybrid now: https://www.honda.co.th/accord/

3 trims: 1.5 Turbo EL for 1.5M / Hybrid for 1.65M / Hybrid Tech for 1.80M

As feared, no 2.0 Turbo with 10 speedauto. The interior color depends on the exterior color, no choice given to the customer. Only black or red/black, no white like other markets.

At least feature-wise they have not left out anything much as far as I can tell.

Archived