BANGKOK 25 March 2019 08:09

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JohnMc45

Better mapping app then Google maps?

Is there a better GPS mapping app then Google maps for Thailand? Primarily greater  Bangkok but will be doing some traveling. 

Try Navmii GPS. It`s free (ads) and available for iOS and Android. You can download maps for most countries and they are very good and up-to-date.

1 hour ago, JohnMc45 said:

Is there a better GPS mapping app then Google maps for Thailand? Primarily greater  Bangkok but will be doing some traveling. 

Short answer- no.  There are no better apps than Google maps for getting around Thailand, especially using the live traffic data to see where the snarls are.

But there are other apps.  I keep Navigator (free version) on my phone because it doesn't require a live interweb connection once the updated country maps are loaded up.  Maps are good, updated often and I haven't found a glaring error yet.  Especially handy in China where Google is blocked, and in the boondocks of Thailand where the 4G signal is bad.

I find TomTom Go for Android to be quite good. It costs about 1700B for three years use, but that includes worldwide maps and all updates. It doesnt require mobile data to work as all maps are stored locally and all calculations done on the device, but if you do have mobile data then it will show traffic flow in real time.

I used it extensively in the US without any trouble and wanted to use it in Europe but my hire car had some weird issue with the window glass that prevented my phone from getting a satellite signal, so I used the car's built-in SatNav instead which was more than a year out of date even though the car was brand new. It was also very limited in what town names it would recognise, and I often had to get coordinates from Google and put them into the car's SatNav.

One massive failing on all SatNav devices seems to be the complete lack of any scenic information. Michelin maps show scenic routes with a green band, and this makes planning a scenic trip very easy. I know of no equivalent with any SatNav.

I’ve not found anything better than google maps. We’ve got Toyota sat nav built into the pick up and it is ? . Might be better in Thai but in English it is useless so it’s Google all the way.

Personnaly I use Sygic for maybe 5 years, I am satify, but it is not free. 

An excellent free app is NOSTRA maps, a Thai company that has both Thai and English versions, and has all the features you'd need. I really don't know why more people are unaware of this program. It's all I use because it's maps are always up to date combined with a giant database of local businesses. One good way to know if your app is supported by the developers is by the pace of updates. Check that box for NOSTRA.

27 minutes ago, Headgame said:

An excellent free app is NOSTRA maps, a Thai company that has both Thai and English versions, and has all the features you'd need. I really don't know why more people are unaware of this program. It's all I use because it's maps are always up to date combined with a giant database of local businesses. One good way to know if your app is supported by the developers is by the pace of updates. Check that box for NOSTRA.

Yes indeed, a very good map, I use it when looking for somewhere, but never thought using it a GPS in the car.

Maps.ME is probably the best I have come across-- its free, adjust to where ever you are, and downloads--can use the functions without the internet, gives you 60 country's ..as soon as I got off the plane in UK, it buzzed--"Do I want to download London? 

Try it as its free from our Russian friends, if you dont like it just delete--works on every kind of Phone..IOS Android Balckberry etc.....no papers to sign -no money to pay--use it as a back up, most of my friends started that way then just kept it--takes up very little space, If you live BKK it will see that and ask--do you want detailed map BKK or whole Thailand..if you travel overseas it will download as you go--was better than Google maps in Hanoi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maps.me

I have Sygic. A onetime fee. Its also doesnt need internet. 

I use HERE WeGo since many years in Thailand (offline map/for free) and never got lost ;-)

4 hours ago, Headgame said:

Its an online map according to the developers..so needs Mobile data just like Google. ?