BANGKOK 23 March 2019 07:56

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JohnMc45

Better mapping app then Google maps?

Just downloaded NOSTRA, I must say that it looks good ( without using it of course ).

It certainly seems more up to date than Google maps.

My soi doesn't show on Google 

Yet on NOSTRA 

Will give it a go over the next few days.

IMG_3544.PNG

IMG_3543.PNG

4 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Personnaly I use Sygic for maybe 5 years, I am satify, but it is not free. 

It is now 

Google maps is not so bad for general navigation. I have Sygic also which is good for offline use. I've been using Waze recently and that seems pretty good where I am from time to time, not really tried it in Thailand yet. Need to give Nostra a try

I've used TomTom S.E. Asia...very good, no problems.  Covers a few countries in S.E. Asia including Indonesia.

I have also used Maps.me and it's been mentioned in another reply.  I will simply say that Maps.me is outstanding for what it is and it's constantly improving.  Offline maps, which is a basic feature, is for me a Godsend.  Is it perfect?  No.  But it's very, very good.

Hi peeps,

i did see some peoples using also Tomtom maps. Well i did use it this year on my vacation and i was very unsatisfied with it.

About 80% of the time TT didn't found what i was looking for but google maps did.

It's impossible to give in a Thai adress. I tried it a few times with the name and adress of the hotels and they weren't small ones. But TT didn't help me at all.

But i will definatly use some of the suggested app inhere. Thanks guys :clap2:

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It is now 

I just checked their website and app but they still charge you a one time fee

https://eshop.sygic.com/en/

Also use Nostra - it's based on extensive digitization of up-to-date aerial photography of Thailand that is unavailable to the Google Maps and other applications so is more accurate and detailed. It's also regularly updated.

22 hours ago, impulse said:

Short answer- no.  There are no better apps than Google maps for getting around Thailand, especially using the live traffic data to see where the snarls are.

But there are other apps.  I keep Navigator (free version) on my phone because it doesn't require a live interweb connection once the updated country maps are loaded up.  Maps are good, updated often and I haven't found a glaring error yet.  Especially handy in China where Google is blocked, and in the boondocks of Thailand where the 4G signal is bad.

HERE (former Nokia) & GPS Navigation are free, voice directions and, so far, accurate. From Android Play Store. I don't use anything Apple, so can't comment, except to say their latest iPhones are finally catching up with my 2014 Samsung Note 4 .   

12 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It is now 

Yep. I use it, too. Quite good, though maps are crude compared to HERE.

9 hours ago, JCauto said:

Also use Nostra - it's based on extensive digitization of up-to-date aerial photography of Thailand that is unavailable to the Google Maps and other applications so is more accurate and detailed. It's also regularly updated.

Reading in, I went to get NOSTRA and it appear to be exclusive to Thailand.  So I'm downloading it anyway, but it seems a shame to clutter up a phone with multiple GPS apps that don't work when traveling.  But if it works as indicated...

On 3-10-2017 at 9:52 AM, impulse said:

Short answer- no.  There are no better apps than Google maps for getting around Thailand, especially using the live traffic data to see where the snarls are.

But there are other apps.  I keep Navigator (free version) on my phone because it doesn't require a live interweb connection once the updated country maps are loaded up.  Maps are good, updated often and I haven't found a glaring error yet.  Especially handy in China where Google is blocked, and in the boondocks of Thailand where the 4G signal is bad.

I have "herewego" works perfect.

21 hours ago, chezy86 said:

I’ve not found anything better than google maps. We’ve got Toyota sat nav built into the pick up and it is ? . Might be better in Thai but in English it is useless so it’s Google all the way.

Agree with you one hundred percent.  I have the inbuilt sat nav in my Honda CRV, very poor in Thai, bloody useless in English.  Asked about an upgrade and they want 10,000 baht.  Have to be kidding. :wai:

8 minutes ago, Wim1954 said:

I have "herewego" works perfect.

At least one member who votes for a map that is far better readable than Google maps for Thailand for use as a street/road map :smile:

It's the former Nokia Maps now taken over by a consortium of car companies (Audi, BMW, Mercedes).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_(company)

On the smartphone it is fully offline capable (map for Thailand can be downloaded/updated).

On the web it is found here:

https://wego.here.com/?map=13.85793,100.6548,11,normal

Compare:

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@13.8824187,100.610155,11z?hl=de

19 hours ago, Foexie said:

Hi peeps,

i did see some peoples using also Tomtom maps. Well i did use it this year on my vacation and i was very unsatisfied with it.

About 80% of the time TT didn't found what i was looking for but google maps did.

It's impossible to give in a Thai adress. I tried it a few times with the name and adress of the hotels and they weren't small ones. But TT didn't help me at all.

But i will definatly use some of the suggested app inhere. Thanks guys :clap2:

I just checked their website and app but they still charge you a one time fee

https://eshop.sygic.com/en/

You looked in in the wrong place. The Sygic worldwide navigation app is free and so are the maps

IMG_1949.thumb.PNG.f030fab0a0d162eba7cd8bad0716b958.PNG

they still sell individual paid for apps. It is perfectly functional without paying for the Premium upgrade.

I feel really decadent about this: I use Google maps mostly, but at the same time have Sygic working on my other phone. Why? Because Sygic seems to be very bad at long distance route planning but is very useful for lane suggestions when approaching a junction.

Google maps have never let me down on long or short trips.