BANGKOK 19 March 2019 12:40

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JohnMc45

Better mapping app then Google maps?

On 10/4/2017 at 12:16 PM, Wim1954 said:

I have "herewego" works perfect.

Downloaded it from China, fired it up and got a message saying that the SIM in my phone is from a Chinese phone company so it can't be used. 

Not that it affects Thailand operation, just a heads up for anyone who needs one to use in China, too.    And since Google Play doesn't work in China, better have your apps preloaded before you get here, unless you have a good VPN.  And rumor has it even VPNs will be blocked starting at the first of 2018...

Navigator (free version) is still looking good for travelers...  But I am looking forward to trying some new (to me) ones when I get back to  Thailand.

Try Nokia Here, works like Google Maps, including real-life traffic information and re-routing. https://wego.here.com/

Works on iPhone & Android 

They will have Street View support soon as well, as the Nokia camera cars are already touring the countryside.

As it loads offline maps, means you can use everything even without an Internet connection or local SIM card in your phone.

Navigator is a very free and useful alternative with off-line maps but no traffic info and street view  support, but is doing a great job on any Android phone, with or without SIM card. 

On 03/10/2017 at 9:48 AM, Tchooptip said:

Personnaly I use Sygic for maybe 5 years, I am satify, but it is not free. 

The Sygic Navigator can be free but then only allows 1 map to be installed, after 7 days you lose the spoken directions function.

It's not expensive IMO and you can have a life time license.

It does not need an internet connection to navigate either.

There are also some fun toys like a headup display for night driving and now a real world view.

I have it on my iPad and recently drove  from the south of Spain to the UK and it was a god send.

The quality of the maps in Thailand is astounding too.

One nice feature is that it will navigate to a photo so if you have a folder with favourite places and photos, you can set up a route very easily.

I like waze. I can add live updates to share with others. Police checkpoints, traffic, accidents etc. And I use the boy band voice option. “Turn le-heft?“

I have been using Waze (free app) for the last 2 years in Thailand.  The map in Thailand is improving daily.  There is a method to report errors and normally they are corrected and active on the Waze App within 2-3 days after the report is made.  Waze uses the real time traffic data from Google Maps also which makes the most out of avoiding traffic jam areas, or at least letting you know how long you can expect to be stuck in it.  The road reports (speed cameras, police checkpoints, road construction, debris on the road, etc.) are also helpful but not that good in Thailand as the number of users isn't that high yet.  I'm sure it is only a matter of time before Waze catches on here.

I've been using HERE WeGo. I like that the maps can be downloaded and used when off line. 

The NOSTRA map looks very good too. Would someone know if the NOSTRA map can be downloaded for use  offline?  I couldn't find any way to do it.

Thanks

I vote for maps.ME

My buddy has it on his smartphone and swears by it. He was a hare on hash run and the app showed pathways way out in the boonies that were hard to spot using google earth and not shown at all on google maps. Watched it in action on a recent trip around Had Yai and Songkhla and it appeared a lot faster than google maps and searching for locations looked slick too.