Warning of torrential downpours, flash floods for most of country this week

webfact

Warning of torrential downpours, flash floods for most of country this week

By The Nation

85cf4811a5fdcc16da3d82e1d8f0d8d9-sld.jpg

Thai Meteorological Department has warned people in most parts of Thailand of outbreaks of abundant rain and possible flash floods from Tuesday until Friday this week.

Isolated torrential downpours and gusty winds will affect especially the North, the Northeast and the Central region, including Bangkok and its vicinity, the East and the South, the department said in its weather warning for heavy rain issued at 11am on Tuesday. 

The cause of this week’s abundant rain is the monsoon trough lying across the Central, East and lower Northeast of the country, and the low-pressure cell over central Cambodia pushing in to the monsoon trough, the agency said. 

The areas affected on Tuesday and Wednesday are: 

The North: Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lamphun, Lampang, Phayao, Phrae, Nan, Uttaradit, Tak, Sukhothai, Kamphaeng Phet, Phitsanulok, Phichit and Phetchabun. 

The Northeast: Loei, Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen, Maha Sarakham, Kalasin, Roi Et, Yasothon, Amnart Charoen, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buri Ram, Surin, Si Sa Ket and Ubon Ratchathani. 

Central Thailand: Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Lop Buri, Saraburi, Sing Buri, Ang Thong, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Kanchanaburi, Suphan Buri, Ratchaburi, and Bangkok and its vicinity. 

The East: Chachoengsao, Nakhon Nayok, Prachin Buri, Sa Kaeo, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat. 

The South: Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, Surat Thani, Ranong, Phangnga, Phuket, Krabi, Trang and Satun. 

The areas affected on Thursday and Friday are:

The North: Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Lampang, Lampang, Tak, Sukhothai, Kamphaeng Phet, Phitsanulok and Phichit. 

The Northeast: Chaiyaphum, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buri Ram, Surin, Si Sa Ket and Ubon Ratchathani. 

Central Thailand: Nakhon Sawan, Chai Nat, Uthai Thani, Kanchanaburi, Suphan Buri, Ratchaburi, and Bangkok and its vicinity. 

The East: Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat. 

The South: Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, Surat Thani, Ranong, Phangnga, Phuket, Krabi, Trang and Satun.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30328357

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-03

Absolutely belting down right now in Petchabun. 

Had hoped to start planting our vegetable garden for the winter but impossible when the ground is waterlogged. Worst rainy season I can remember.

Bound to be a drought when it's over.

8 minutes ago, Denim said:

Absolutely belting down right now in Petchabun. 

Had hoped to start planting our vegetable garden for the winter but impossible when the ground is waterlogged. Worst rainy season I can remember.

Bound to be a drought when it's over.

You were here on 2011? surely that rainy season was worse? as far as I am concerned, the more rain the better in order to fill the dams.It doesn't look likely there's  to be major flooding like 2011, but still a month or more to go..

Leveled the dirt and drived Piles into the ground to start  Building our home in Khon Kaen . Monks were supposed to come the 10th to bless the foundation.

Property is a mudbath , can hardly walk on  without sinking to your ankles at places.

We had to reschedule for the 20th , with all that rain even that don't look certain.

It's Ok .I am not in a hurry.

Glad I am in the US for a little while, Though I must admite, I kind of like the rain.

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

Though I must admite, I kind of like the rain.

As we are in a flood free area I also don't fear the rain.

Drought is much worse.

After the second year with very little downpour (end of 2015) I was really concerned how we could live here.

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

Leveled the dirt and drived Piles into the ground to start  Building our home in Khon Kaen . Monks were supposed to come the 10th to bless the foundation.

Property is a mudbath , can hardly walk on  without sinking to your ankles at places.

We had to reschedule for the 20th , with all that rain even that don't look certain.

It's Ok .I am not in a hurry.

Glad I am in the US for a little while, Though I must admite, I kind of like the rain.

I like the rain too, but if we have a building project we usually start in January or later... keep your head down... 

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

As we are in a flood free area I also don't fear the rain.

Drought is much worse.

After the second year with very little downpour (end of 2015) I was really concerned how we could live here.

Agree 100%.   Today a digger has been clearing the klongs through the rice fields below us , if I get flooded the whole of Maechan would be under water . Last dry season the rice fields had pumps sucking the water out of the ground and I thought no water in the klongs , how long before Maechan plain dries up. Doctor near us said it had never dried up in the past 25 years.  And it didn't .

7 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

You were here on 2011? surely that rainy season was worse? as far as I am concerned, the more rain the better in order to fill the dams.It doesn't look likely there's  to be major flooding like 2011, but still a month or more to go..

7 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Oh yes.......but we were in Bangkok. Saw all the water.....couldn't miss it when it was 1 foot deep on the living room and we had to evacuate. But......strangely enough didn't see much of the rain that caused it since it mostly fell on the north.

Now we are South of Petchabun we are in no danger off flooding but are seeing all the rain we never saw before. 

It is a very good rainy season in Chiang Mai.

I see a lot more fruit, vegetables, taller rice fields and many more flowers.

The reservoirs and dams are full and some are overflowing.

I feel bad for people who have died and lost everything.

Archived