New Thai AA Big Book

Neeranam

I've been working with Thai alcoholics for many years and they'd always a problem with the God translation in the big book. Now, there's a new translation which is excellent and could help many Thai speaking alcoholics. If you know any problem drinkers, perhaps you could get them a copy.

ข้อมูลภาษาไทย Nationwide Thai Language Thai 099 068 3447; Line ID: aathai56

Hi All. I,ve been doing service for 26 years now, and I am very interested in learning about literature in other countries as I.ve been coming to thailand regularly ovey the past 10 years, My request is Could someone send me the Thai 12 steps and 12 traditions , But translated into english as I cant read thai,  ( Also, How much does it cost to buy in Thailand ) much appreciated, Thanks Friend of Bill W.s, Steve Mc

On 10/7/2017 at 4:12 PM, SteveMack said:

Hi All. I,ve been doing service for 26 years now, and I am very interested in learning about literature in other countries as I.ve been coming to thailand regularly ovey the past 10 years, My request is Could someone send me the Thai 12 steps and 12 traditions , But translated into english as I cant read thai,  ( Also, How much does it cost to buy in Thailand ) much appreciated, Thanks Friend of Bill W.s, Steve Mc

You want the Thai version translated into English??? I work as a translator, would be rather expensive to translate. 

5 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

You want the Thai version translated into English??? I work as a translator, would be rather expensive to translate. 

Thanks Patrick, No, I only wanted to see what the translation from thai to english is in step no 3, step no 5, step no 6, step no 7, step no 11, and tradition 2, e.g. step 3, we made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of ( God ) as we understand ( Him ) the words in Brackets is what I.m interested in, so Basically I,m only interested in what thai aa,s use instead of God, Him, power, His, but as I cannot read thai, only speak a little, could you please translate these 4 words from thai to english, + transliteration e.g, ( thai word + good + dee ) Hope you can understand me, HaHa, I appreciated, I love the fellowship, It saved my life since 26 years now, lol, Steve Mc.

3 hours ago, SteveMack said:

Thanks Patrick, No, I only wanted to see what the translation from thai to english is in step no 3, step no 5, step no 6, step no 7, step no 11, and tradition 2, e.g. step 3, we made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of ( God ) as we understand ( Him ) the words in Brackets is what I.m interested in, so Basically I,m only interested in what thai aa,s use instead of God, Him, power, His, but as I cannot read thai, only speak a little, could you please translate these 4 words from thai to english, + transliteration e.g, ( thai word + good + dee ) Hope you can understand me, HaHa, I appreciated, I love the fellowship, It saved my life since 26 years now, lol, Steve Mc.

I've not seen the new translation of the Big Book.

I know Neernam will be able to help here. 

I do know that they changed the word God(pra jao - which means Christian God)) to Sing Sak Sit(Holy things).

I know the serenity prayer, which isn't in the big book(I think) is

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. 

ขอสิ่งศักดิ์สิทธิ์ ให้ความสงบแก่ข้า kor sing sak sit hai kwam sangop gae ka
ให้ยอมรับสิ่งที่เปลี่ยนไม่ได้ kor yom rap sing tee bplian mai dai
ให้กล้าเปลี่ยนสิ่งที่เปลี่ยนได้ hai gla bplian sing tee bplian dai

และปัญญาที่จะแยกแยะ lae panya tee ja yaek yeah

On 07/10/2017 at 12:03 AM, superglue said:

Then who was it?

(I cannot state when Harry did his translation - I approximated).

I knew Harry.

It was a Catholic priest named Father Pirote, who went to the states to do his thesis on addiction. He was a priest at holy redeemer church, in 1980, and seeming moved back there recently.

There was only one AA group in Thailand at that time. It took years to get it approved by AA world services, with 3 attempts, and the floppy disk was lost once!

When approved the were 4 groups and each got 40 free copies.

On 09/10/2017 at 8:10 PM, MrPatrickThai said:

I've not seen the new translation of the Big Book.

I know Neernam will be able to help here. 

I do know that they changed the word God(pra jao - which means Christian God)) to Sing Sak Sit(Holy things).

I know the serenity prayer, which isn't in the big book(I think) is

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. 

ขอสิ่งศักดิ์สิทธิ์ ให้ความสงบแก่ข้า kor sing sak sit hai kwam sangop gae ka
ให้ยอมรับสิ่งที่เปลี่ยนไม่ได้ kor yom rap sing tee bplian mai dai
ให้กล้าเปลี่ยนสิ่งที่เปลี่ยนได้ hai gla bplian sing tee bplian dai

และปัญญาที่จะแยกแยะ lae panya tee ja yaek yeah

Just change the word god to the word buddha ...duuuh 

On 10/10/2017 at 8:58 PM, superglue said:

I was in Thailand in 1993 & moved permanently in 2003. There is one person who can verify this.

Again an Italian RC priest who came here in about 1945.

BTW he lives in CNX.

Hi, do you mean Father Pirote now  lives in CM?

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

I agree, that's what it's all about, helping the alkie who is still suffering. Good for you, finding, and helping the local Thai community. 

Indeed it is! What I will never understand is why so many "old timers" living near me refuse to help the Thai alcoholics. It's not the language as translation is available. I've asked 5 guys with over 20 years sobriety to be a guest speaker and they all refused, many times. In fact, none of them have even been to ONE of our meetings which have been 5 days a week for over 10 years. Yet they sometimes say they are grateful, which is an action in my opinion.

• 1 year later...

Archived