Deformation and the Laws of Thailand

al007

I find the deformation Laws in Thailand difficult to understand, because it is an offense to say or write something bad even if true

I understand the Le Majeste laws are there to protect the Thai Monarchy, and can accept that,  OH I guarantee the UK Royal Family wished for such laws in the UK, but there , it is considered undemocratic

The deformation laws it seem to me only protect the crooks and bad people, please comment if I am misunderstanding something

This came to me when I read a bad review on a USA quoted stock, if an analyst did the same on a stock quoted on the SET, that person would risk a deformation case, so is the Thai SET safe I question

I was threaten by my own lawyer  with deformation once when I questioned if he had made a mistake, if I told anyone about it, I immediately changed lawyers

It appears to me the deformation laws are not in the public interest, my humble opinion only

I hope by writing this I have not broken any laws, I am merely seeking to understand better and not criticise the Thai Government or officials

7 minutes ago, al007 said:

The deformation laws it seem to me only protect the crooks and bad people, please comment if I am misunderstanding something

No, that's about the sum of it. Except that it's defamation not deformation.

If people could legally publish the truth about others in Thailand then the entire country would be swamped with revelations of illegal behaviour. This would not look good, so it isn't allowed.

Although defamation law in Thailand is stricter than in most other countries, plus it's a criminal offense, not just a civil, when there is a clear public interest, you are allowed to proof the truthfulness of the statement and if done it's not defamation. See criminal code 329 and 330. http://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/criminal-code-defamation-sections-326-333/

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

No, that's about the sum of it. Except that it's defamation not deformation.

If people could legally publish the truth about others in Thailand then the entire country would be swamped with revelations of illegal behaviour. This would not look good, so it isn't allowed.

Very good sir, was deliberate mistake so as not to be accused of talking about the wrong topic, not actually true ! if I am honest, my mistake, maybe it bypasses computer checking !

8 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

Although defamation law in Thailand is stricter than in most other countries, plus it's a criminal offense, not just a civil, when there is a clear public interest, you are allowed to proof the truthfulness of the statement and if done it's not defamation.

Yes, public interest is the defence. The law is extremely one-sided though.