Pretty Thai girl and her mum ripped me off for 50,000 baht engagement dowry, says factory worker

webfact

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, speckio said:

If you live in a country where even the highly educated start off making about $500 US/month you start looking for alternative means to make a quick buck...  In general Thai people are pretty trustworthy and honest but there will always be those who commit shady crimes that make the headlines which makes it appear the problem is rampart and common.

brain scans cost about 10,000 baht

10 hours ago, berybert said:

Wow you are happy for scammers to get away with scamming people. Are you an African prince ?

He is a factory worker and that's 2 or 3 months wages. Would you be happy to lose that.

And how nice to know there are some Thai people who don't care bout 'face'.

Let's start a collection for 50.000 baht and give it to the guy. I pledge 1000 baht. TV, can you mediate?

Wow -- the majority of comments here are just ridiculous. It's as if no one ever researched sin sod before. Of course there will always be a few scammers trying to work old guys for a few bucks, but normal families simply adhere to this Thai tradition. A stingy, 'conservative' guy might get away with not paying sin sod, or paying a very low amount, for a rural Thai girl from a small village or a bar girl.

For a middle or upper class girl in they city with a real job (like at a bank or corporation) you'll be asked to pay a sin sod of up to one million (or more?) to show that you're a man of means at the wedding.

For most, it's just for 'show', so that the guests can see that the groom is worthy of paying this modest amount. Then you'll likely get at least half of it back. In my case, it's a sin sod of one million baht, with half used to pay for the wedding and the remainder given to the elderly aunt, and the other half to be returned to my family. I'll also be including the traditional gold offering worth 100,000-200,000 baht. Most guys I know with middle/upper class girlfriends from Bangkok are planning to contribute similar amounts.

In reality, it's not that much money. It will come back to you eventually, and it's really a small price to pay to keep your future bride and her family happy. When you examine it closely it's really not that different from a traditional 'Western' wedding.

18 hours ago, mark01 said:

Ahhhh....! We've all been there.

Well, not really. I pay by the hour.

"We've all been there" is right on.  50,000 Baht is nothing.  He got off cheap.  I've been had for a lot more than that!

14 hours ago, atyclb said:

brain scans cost about 10,000 baht

just to clarify farang and tourists are common targets for scams in all countries, not just Thailand.. 

Its common sense to target people who will definitely have valuables on them and are unfamiliar with local customs and their surroundings.

2 hours ago, speckio said:

just to clarify farang and tourists are common targets for scams in all countries, not just Thailand.. 

Its common sense to target people who will definitely have valuables on them and are unfamiliar with local customs and their surroundings.

my reply about a brain scan was in response to you writing  "Thai people are pretty trustworthy and honest"

polls would strongly suggest otherwise in which nearly 80% think corruption is ok as long as they benefit from it.

"Cheating and corruption is the norm at all levels of society, and incompetency is the sum of our failings." Voranai Vanijaka Bangkok Post 02/01/2011 Opinion . He is 100% Thai academic and journalist. Google for full article as we cannot post link to BKK post

On 10/4/2017 at 9:22 AM, Thaiwrath said:

What a tosser !

Would have been better saving face, and saying nothing, instead of getting the police involved !

You sound easily embarrassed.  

He did save face. Doing nothing would have made him look pathetic. Now he looks strong.

This guy did the right thing. Publicly shame the trash that did this to him.

On 10/4/2017 at 1:02 PM, dotpoom said:

Wasn't in Farang land up until the recent past. The only difference was that it was the bride's parents who paid for the wedding ( which was/is quite a hefty sum).

Dowries still exist in Farang marriages.

We just pay on the way out ;)

On Wednesday, October 04, 2017 at 1:22 PM, Thaiwrath said:

What a tosser !

Would have been better saving face, and saying nothing, instead of getting the police involved !

I assume he will have to be a tosser for a while now. At least until he meets his next "future wife".

17 minutes ago, Senechal said:

Oh yeah? And how much does your pre-nup guarantee? Sure looks like a dowry to me...

my pre-nup made a world of difference.  a properly written and executed prenup is a legally binding contract, period

please explain how a prenup looks like a dowry????

20 minutes ago, atyclb said:

my pre-nup made a world of difference.  a properly written and executed prenup is a legally binding contract, period

please explain how a prenup looks like a dowry????

Actually, not "period" at all. The history of prenups is the history of legal-challenges to pre-nups -- but that's whole other conversation. Plenty get trashed by the courts during divorce proceedings.

Re: Looking like a dowry -- many prenups specifically specify how much a bride will be receiving upon divorce. My point is that whether or not the money is paid in advance or contractually guaranteed later doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Given that the vast majority of marriages end in divorce, you're still essentially agreeing to pay. Yes, you're successfully limiting your exposure with a pre-nup... but a dowry is also limited by definition. 

Unless of course your pre-nup said: "She doesn't get anything whatsoever"... In which case it's not like a dowry at all. 

29 minutes ago, Senechal said:

Actually, not "period" at all. The history of prenups is the history of legal-challenges to pre-nups -- but that's whole other conversation. Plenty get trashed by the courts during divorce proceedings.

Re: Looking like a dowry -- many prenups specifically specify how much a bride will be receiving upon divorce. My point is that whether or not the money is paid in advance or contractually guaranteed later doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Given that the vast majority of marriages end in divorce, you're still essentially agreeing to pay. Yes, you're successfully limiting your exposure with a pre-nup... but a dowry is also limited by definition. 

Unless of course your pre-nup said: "She doesn't get anything whatsoever"... In which case it's not like a dowry at all. 

what is meant by "binding contract" is not to be confused with legally challenging a contract, as any contract can be challenged in court.

http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/13993/legal_matters/a_harvard_law_school_takes_a_look_at_prenuptial_agreements.html

Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 5.01.39 PM.png

3 hours ago, atyclb said:

my reply about a brain scan was in response to you writing  "Thai people are pretty trustworthy and honest"

polls would strongly suggest otherwise in which nearly 80% think corruption is ok as long as they benefit from it.

"Cheating and corruption is the norm at all levels of society, and incompetency is the sum of our failings." Voranai Vanijaka Bangkok Post 02/01/2011 Opinion . He is 100% Thai academic and journalist. Google for full article as we cannot post link to BKK post

I was in the car with my cousin ... we got pulled over and asked for his License... my cousin handed the officer his license with a 100 Baht underneath the officer looked at the license handed it back minus the 100 Baht and told us to have a nice day..  I dont know if I can blame him considering how much money he makes per day.

Another time a friend got the boot on his tire... and we found the cop the cop said pay the fine at the office my friend said cant i just "pay the fine to you" he said no you have to go to the office (probably got caught before and was warned or to many people watching)

Another time i took my friends to Soi Cowboy and some guy walked up to us and started talking about the notorious "Free ping pong show"  it was indeed "technically free" but the girls push really hard for tips.... never going to a "free ping show" again no matter how much the guy swears its free

Sure, there is corruption and people running scams to make a quick buck. but overall I stand by what I  said Most thais are trustworthy and honest.

3 minutes ago, greenchair said:

So he put in the sin sod,

But didn't get in the rod. 

Men really do think with their ahem don't they. 

I would never marry a lady that expected me to buy her from the family. 

That's just nasty. 

A game of cards out of the question then I suppose

A little side stake to add a bit of spice

18 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

All the moaners about paying sin sod never bought their (farang ex) wife an expensive engagement ring?

Can easily run into 100,000's of thousands of baht equivalent.

Exactly. The engagement ring is 100% a form of dowry payment. 

Archived