Now, why would a 'song thaew' driver have an empty beer bottle in his cab?

webfact

Now, why would a 'song thaew' driver have an empty beer bottle in his cab?

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

One question was on the public's lips after a road rage incident between two song thaew drivers in Nakorn Sawan.

Why would a driver of a passenger vehicle have a beer bottle in his cab?

Phone video of an altercation between the drivers of a white and a red vehicle were posted on Facebook on the page of Pairin Siripun filming across the road.

It showed a driver in a cap come out to threaten an older man in the other vehicle. When he won't open the door the man in the cap goes to get an empty beer bottle.

The poster had no idea what it was all about though Daily News said they were rival routes.

But the drivers' passengers seemed to have voted with their feet and left them to it before the driver with the beer drove off.

Netizens commented widely on the inappropriate behavior - especially that beer bottle.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-05

5 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I was in a 7/11 one evening a few weeks ago. A Baht-bus driver parked outside, came in, bought a small Chang, chugged it, went back to his vehicle and drove off.

Do we really want Thailand to have the strict rules of our home countries?

Although I'm totally against drunk driving, one small can of beer doesn't make one drunk.

Personally, I love the freedom here and say have small can of beer, and <deleted> to the UK, who fine you for eating a sandwich while driving or Oz, who fined me for facing the wrong way while parked on a quiet residential street for 5  min.

Many of these guys are alcoholics and although wrong, they would be unsafe to drive unless having that morning beer. 

On a side note, I failed my first driving test in the  UK. I passed my second one after 2 strong beers and a packet of extra strong mints. I was an alcoholic then.

3 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

To pee into, perhaps ?  IIRC one used to be able to buy 'comfort-bottles' here ?  Understandable given the traffic-jams one sometimes encounters ! :smile:

"To pee into, perhaps ?  '

Physics comes into play here when one considers the inside diameter of the neck of a beer bottle, versus the OD.of the hose attached to the user, in this case, a Thai songtaew driver.

"Comfort bottles" are available at many pharmacies. It gives one a chance to boast that at least you have " a pot to piss in .":tongue:

23 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Although I'm totally against drunk driving, one small can of beer doesn't make one drunk.

Personally, I love the freedom here and say have small can of beer, and <deleted> to the UK, who fine you for eating a sandwich while driving or Oz, who fined me for facing the wrong way while parked on a quiet residential street for 5  min.

Many of these guys are alcoholics and although wrong, they would be unsafe to drive unless having that morning beer. 

On a side note, I failed my first driving test in the  UK. I passed my second one after 2 strong beers and a packet of extra strong mints. I was an alcoholic then.

How I hope you were being sarcastic, plus I'd rather not comment the way you passed your driving tests...

1 hour ago, newcomer71 said:

How I hope you were being sarcastic, plus I'd rather not comment the way you passed your driving tests...

Not sarcastic at all. You obviously don't understand alcoholism. An alkie on the roads having DTs is worse than someone having a can of beer.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Not sarcastic at all. You obviously don't understand alcoholism. An alkie on the roads having DTs is worse than someone having a can of beer.

So when driving drunk, just claim your an alcoholic and everything is ok?  

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Most likely collecting empty bottles to recycle.:sleep: well that will be his excuse.

regards Worgeordie

No knives, bats, swords, batons allowed, a beer bottle, empty of course, is a good weapon.

Beat someone on the head, throw it, break it and use the shards.

Perfect!

On that level, even a box of matches, a pencil, a tin of coke in a sock, also surprisingly great stuff.

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

How do you know he hadn't already drunk one or two other cans bought at other places earlier, or that he went on and bought others and drank them later?

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

While I'll happily admit that I doubt people would be as happy here, it would be interesting to see what affect it would have. Particularly in government, police, schools and on the roads.

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Mate.... mate! .... You can't go parking facing the wrong way.... not on.... bad boy.... no wonder you had problems passing your driving test

but it's all good now, right?... aunty oz showed you... and charged you for the edumakasion lesson

54 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Mate.... mate! .... You can't go parking facing the wrong way.... not on.... bad boy.... no wonder you had problems passing your driving test

but it's all good now, right?... aunty oz showed you... and charged you for the edumakasion lesson

I was using my sister's car and she got me of as I was only visiting.

Stupid bloody law on a quiet street.

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Most likely collecting empty bottles to recycle.:sleep: well that will be his excuse.

regards Worgeordie

every good Thai driver has an empty bottle in his cab to "piss into" 

can't afford to go to the toilet & miss out on a punter!

13 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I think Thailand desperately needs more rules (or, more accurately, it needs existing rules to be applied uniformly and systematically).

As for people driving public transport vehicles and drinking, I think that the alcohol limit for such drivers should be zero or near zero. I saw the guy drink one beer,  but who's to say that he didnt stop every 10 minutes and do the same? If he wants to drink he can just go home and not work.

14 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I got smashed with an American guy, at his house off Pahonyothin Road in 2001. I was staying at the Sofitel near Mo Chit. He'd been living there 30+ years. I was new.

Towards 1100:PM I mentioned getting his sober wife to take me home, as we'd wiped out half a bottle of Jack Daniels.

He said. "Oh, in Thailand, sometimes it HELPS if you get a bit tossed prior to driving."

45 minutes ago, jaywalker said:

I got smashed with an American guy, at his house off Pahonyothin Road in 2001. I was staying at the Sofitel near Mo Chit. He'd been living there 30+ years. I was new.

Towards 1100:PM I mentioned getting his sober wife to take me home, as we'd wiped out half a bottle of Jack Daniels.

He said. "Oh, in Thailand, sometimes it HELPS if you get a bit tossed prior to driving."

Was his wife amenable to the suggestion?

14 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Was his wife amenable to the suggestion?

Yeah she got me back to the hotel in one piece.

I was flabbergasted at the Pahonyothin & Lad Prao intersection (rather new to BKK). We somehow made it thru unscathed though.

Archived