Pattaya City Hall admits Koh Larn in "crisis" as trash takes over

webfact

Pattaya City Hall admits Koh Larn in "crisis" as trash takes over

4pm.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable

An official in Pattaya has said that the trash situation in Koh Larn is a crisis.

A mountain of rubbish on the holiday island has now reached a staggering 30,000 tons.

And it is going up by up to 30 tons each and every day.

Sinchai Wattanasatsathorn told Sophon that the situation was showing no sign of abating.

With 10,000 visitors to the island daily it was just getting worse and worse.

He said that plans to deal with the trash through incineration were still being discussed and a resolution was still a way off.

As far as the rest of Pattaya goes he said there were still contractual problems about trash collection.

The future of a depot in Sukhumvit Soi 3 was undecided.

Certain contracts were up at the end of this month but with only one contractor tendering a future bid the process has had to be abandoned.

He couldn't be sure how this would be resolved.

It appeared that the word 'crisis' that he used in relation to Koh Larn could be extended to the whole of the resort area.

Source: Sophon Cable

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-05

I recall going to Ko Larn for the first time in 2001. Old wooden pier, nobody on the ferry except me & my girl & a monk.

Might see 2 dozen tourists all day.

I made friends with a vendor, and was then away for a year. They'd built all the roads, and pretty much shut him down, as he didn't have money to "Pay" the mafia/cops.

I gave his wife 8,000 baht (all I had with me), and a few months later he was back up and running.

6 or 7 times I went back, and I'd run up a 1,000 baht tab with food & drinks. They'd say "Bill? You have no bill here."

Now it's a dump. Sad. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

With 10,000 visitors to the island daily it was just getting worse and worse.

He said that plans to deal with the trash through incineration were still being discussed and a resolution was still a way off.

So hold off with the visitors until the discussion is finished!

2 hours ago, jaywalker said:

I recall going to Ko Larn for the first time in 2001. Old wooden pier, nobody on the ferry except me & my girl & a monk.

Might see 2 dozen tourists all day.

I made friends with a vendor, and was then away for a year. They'd built all the roads, and pretty much shut him down, as he didn't have money to "Pay" the mafia/cops.

I gave his wife 8,000 baht (all I had with me), and a few months later he was back up and running.

6 or 7 times I went back, and I'd run up a 1,000 baht tab with food & drinks. They'd say "Bill? You have no bill here."

Now it's a dump. Sad. 

i was first there 2006  totally diff to now had to offload from ferry to a longboat then get out on beach

If they only looked at the right kind of thing on their smart phones they could Google the solution.....................

https://www.wsj.com/articles/singapores-innovative-waste-disposal-system-1442197715

this article also mentions a land fill in Bangkok catching fire....so not only do the pollute the land and sea they fire it off in to the sky...... 

24 minutes ago, lonewolf99 said:

If they only looked at the right kind of thing on their smart phones they could Google the solution.....................

https://www.wsj.com/articles/singapores-innovative-waste-disposal-system-1442197715

this article also mentions a land fill in Bangkok catching fire....so not only do the pollute the land and sea they fire it off in to the sky...... 

It's the accumulation of methane. Will be dangerous for years unless the rubbish is properly disposed of. 

"A mountain of rubbish on the holiday island has now reached a staggering 30,000 tons.

And it is going up by up to 30 tons each and every day

He said that plans to deal with the trash through incineration were still being discussed and a resolution was still a way off."

No hurry...3 years trying to find a solution, how many possibilities can there be?

2 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

Good one. . . but Singapore gets run by people with their heads screwed on doesn't it? 

Give them another five years to talk it over, and try to work out who gets the most from syphoning

off money from the project and Oh Sorry!  They're all gone.

Disappeared under their own trash. 

Not sure what to do about it?         Really!       

Ko Larn is not the only Island with a problem with garbage disposal.  Koh Samui certainly has a similar, or if not bigger problem and like Ko Larn, the local authorities have been "talking" about the problem and doing very little to resolve it.  The latest suggestion for Samui is to take it to the mainland - wow, some local area on mainland is going to be so, so happy!  These people need to realise that they need a good sized grant to build a quality, ozone friendly incinerator and employ a gang people to operate it 24/7.  For some reason the local authorities do not seem to comprehend that they need efficinet garbage collection and disposal in order to sustain their expanding tourist business.  If they fail, people will stop coming and then it will be too late.

The islands is a disgrace.. beautiful beaches but garbage every sq. meter off the sand.

Start charging the 200+ boats and beach vendors daily..plus each tourist 100 baht/... that's 1ml/day I'm sure there would be interested parties to bid on the contract. 

10000 tourists per day??? i.e hypotetically 3,65 millions visitors a year in koh larn ?? More than 12% of all tourists supposed to visit Thailand !!!! 30 tons of garbage means 3 kg of rubish per visiting head....  numbers sound strange to me

1 hour ago, eliotness said:

Just a look at the photo says what the major problem is - PLASTIC. That combined with no compaction means a fire is waiting to happen.  I guess landfill management isn't a topic at Thai colleges.

Curious, I Googled "environmental studies Thailand". It seems they do teach it: http://www.muic.mahidol.ac.th/eng/?page_id=13670 so why doesn't that translate to people coming up with solutions? Not enough money? Respect for superiors? Or just idiotic bureaucracy? 

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Curious, I Googw"environmental studies Thaila. nd". It seems they do teach it: http://www.muic.mahidol.ac.th/eng/?page_id=13670 so why doesn't that translate to people coming up with solutions? Not enough money? Respect for superiors? Or just idiotic bureaucracy? 

But do the students understand and furthermore  what is the qualifications of the "teachers"?

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Curious, I Googled "environmental studies Thailand". It seems they do teach it: http://www.muic.mahidol.ac.th/eng/?page_id=13670 so why doesn't that translate to people coming up with solutions? Not enough money? Respect for superiors? Or just idiotic bureaucracy? 

How about, "D - All of the above."

Oh me oh my! What to do? What a peccadillo we're in now! Why didn't the garbage just disappear on its own? 

Elon Musk and Jackie Chan star in "Amazingly Dangerous Thailand: Escape from Potentially Explosive Methane-Garbage Island!"

Jackie: Ewon...yoe duh genius, what should we do?! Who will sabe duh good people of Ko Larn fwom dis enviwonmental catatwohpy, now?

Elon: Ah geeze, I dunno, why don't we just torch the whole island!? Exploding methane-garbage mountains? Nobody cares, Jackie. The tourists always come anyway. Besides there are other new attractions in Pattaya like nude unicycling, new condiminiums, an explosion of construction sites city wide, early closing times and tracking bracelets to provide 24/7 police monitoring ensuring tourist safety! Now that the beach chair rental operators can't sell beer and have to wear aprons, who can resist travelling halfway around the world even if Ko Larn is an explosive waste dump?!

JAckie: Gee, do you weawy finks so...yeah, maybe you right Ewon. You know, I ahways thought you were a hi-tech guy, but yeah maybe nobody care anyway so why think too mutt? Just torch the Ko Larn and enjoy molten plastic fireworks of burning garbage dump!

Archived