Agency to promote manufacture of electric tuk-tuk

webfact

Agency to promote manufacture of electric tuk-tuk

By The Nation

The Energy Policy and Planning Office (EPPO) will encourage the manufacture of electric tuk-tuk for export, EPPO director Thawarat Sutabutr said.

Thawarat said there are currently seven manufacturers of tuk-tuk – motor-tricycles with a roof – that run on LPG.

Thawarat said Thai tuk-tuk vehicles have become popular among foreigners and they have been exported to three European nations – France, Sweden and Denmark.

As a result, the EPPO would hold talks with the seven manufacturers to make electric tuk-tuk for export, Thawarat added.

He said the main obstacle facing the project was the high cost of battery for electric vehicles, which sell for about Bt100,000 each and must be imported. To overcome this, the EPPO will support the opening of EV battery factories in Thailand.

He said if the electric tuk-tuk project became successful, the vehicles may be used for commercial services and for personal use in the country as well.

“It’s worthwhile because an electric tuk-tuk will require only electricity costing about Bt0.40 per kilometre, compared to Bt1.50 for LPG,” Thawarat said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30328513

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-05

The rest of the world is looking to mainstream electric cars with all the safety features typical of a family vehicle.  Why in the world are they looking to build electric 3 wheel rollover machines that spend most of their time sitting double and triple parked blocking traffic waiting for some sucker willing to pay 200-300 baht for a 1 km ride? 

The sooner they get rid of all the tuk tuks, the better BKK traffic will be.  Gas, electric, or any other fuel.  Maybe let hotels keep them for taking guests to the end of the soi, and leave some legacy tuk-tuks for hauling parcels too big for a taxi, but making new ones for public transport?

Energy ministry to make Tuk-Tuk a product champion

By Thai PBS

0510001.jpg

The Ministry of Energy yesterday (Oct 4) revealed its plan to make “Tuk-Tuk” a product champion for export after Thailand has exported them to three countries in Europe.

It also plans to convert the existing 22,000 LPG-powered Tuk-Tuks in the country to run on electricity within five years.

Plan to make Tuk-Tuk a product champion and the conversion of fuel consumption from gas to battery came up after the ministry’s Energy Policy and Planning Office (EPPO) launched a pilot project for e-Tuk-Tuk or electric Tuk-Tuk with aim to have all LPG-powered Tuk-Tuks converted to e-Tuk-Tuks.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/energy-ministry-make-tuk-tuk-product-champion/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-10-05

If they are electric, and therefore silent, how will you hear them coming?

I believe that the relevant government departments in the UK looked into just that problem when the proposal was made to have electric taxis in the UK.

They decided on balance that although the vehicles themselves would be virtually silent, the constant whining noise from the front right-hand seat would give ample warning of their approach....

5 minutes ago, JAG said:

I believe that the relevant government departments in the UK looked into just that problem when the proposal was made to have electric taxis in the UK.

They decided on balance that although the vehicles themselves would be virtually silent, the constant whining noise from the front right-hand seat would give ample warning of their approach....

Could people not use their eyes to see them ?

8 minutes ago, JAG said:

They won't be more silent than the hybrid Camry's. And you can still hear them coming , maybe not in busy traffic though.

What i don't like about tuktuk's is that they're slow and hold up traffic. Also they need a meter and a higher roof.

You almost never hear of a tuk tuk being involved in an accident.  Why?  Because they are so damn loud and you can hear them coming from 100 meter away, and have time to avoid them.  Make them electric, and silent, and that's all gonna change.  And definitely not good for pedestrians. lol

Won't be the same without all the exhaust fumes, the noise and the little tuktuk driver. 

I've taken the odd tuktuk over the years, mainly because they can navigate through BKK traffic a little easier than a regular taxi. 

I still find them rather pleasant and they remind me of my first time in Thailand. Kind of "uniquely Thai". 

2 hours ago, eliotness said:

Why not make them 4 wheels and call them golf carts. Strong market for them surely. I remember 3 wheeled cars in Britain, Reliant Robins, very dangerous, although the Morgan was good.

The Morgan 3 Wheeler had its single wheel at the rear, thus far more stable and fun to drive.

2 hours ago, eliotness said:

Why not make them 4 wheels and call them golf carts. Strong market for them surely. I remember 3 wheeled cars in Britain, Reliant Robins, very dangerous, although the Morgan was good.

Just like those tuktuk-things in Phuket?? They look so stupid, better make them look like Fred Flinstone's car...

Phuket, Thailand: Tuk Tuk Kata Beach

Who would sit in that? And they even cost much more than a taxi in BKK.

A smart feature would be to have some sort of artificially generated noise when the electrical motors run to warn bystanders to duck !!!

One thing however I never understand, why are tuk tuk's (electric, or not) not available for private individual use?

Unless I am mistaken, I recall that private individuals are now allowed to own and drive tuk tuk's in Thailand ?

Just now, observer90210 said:

A smart feature would be to have some sort of artificially generated noise when the electrical motors run to warn bystanders to duck !!!

One thing however I never understand, why are tuk tuk's (electric, or not) not available for private individual use?

Unless I am mistaken, I recall that private individuals are now allowed to own and drive tuk tuk's in Thailand ?

They do have them, a guy near me drives one on daily basis.

But i bet the Thai think he's crazy, it's all about face and big cars are better....

There are more fun cars in the area here, fiat 500 convertible....that one looks cool.

9 minutes ago, Thian said:

They do have them, a guy near me drives one on daily basis.

But i bet the Thai think he's crazy, it's all about face and big cars are better....

There are more fun cars in the area here, fiat 500 convertible....that one looks cool.

Hi thanks for the info, nice to know as I wanted to buy one for small runs around town!!:thumbsup:....I don't mind for face as I feel more comfortable in displaying a low profile in the streets...

5 hours ago, Thian said:

They won't be more silent than the hybrid Camry's. And you can still hear them coming , maybe not in busy traffic though.

What i don't like about tuktuk's is that they're slow and hold up traffic. Also they need a meter and a higher roof.

Slow?

Please don't inform my local Tuktuk pilot of that thought.

6 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Hi thanks for the info, nice to know as I wanted to buy one for small runs around town!!:thumbsup:....I don't mind for face as I feel more comfortable in displaying a low profile in the streets...

If i didn't live in BKK i also would have a tuktuk just for fun. With a minibar, dogspraysystem, stereo and anything i could use to make it more funlooking.

There's a whole thread about them on the forum, many members here also have one.

8 hours ago, neeray said:

I can hear it coming (no, not the electric Tuk Tuk). I can hear "Thailand, the hub of electric Tuk Tuks".

There are more countries with tuktuk's in Asia, and they are smarter than the Thai...India for example. Wouldn't be surprised if they also make e-tuktuk's.

4 hours ago, Thian said:

There are more countries with tuktuk's in Asia, and they are smarter than the Thai...India for example. Wouldn't be surprised if they also make e-tuktuk's.

I think you missed my sarcasm Thian. Thailand seems to want to become the "hub" of everything. I was just having a little fun. Yes, I know that many Asian countries have Tuk Tuks. I was in Indonesia and saw gazillions of them. I think Tuk Tuks are great except for the pollution factor.

On 10/5/2017 at 11:37 AM, sanemax said:

Could people not use their eyes to see them ?

C'mon, our condo complex has an electric multi-seat golf cart, I had to jump out of the way once cause I didn't hear it coming, driver never sounded the horn.

Archived