Minivan drivers

Cranky

An old topic but one that is not being resolved any time soon by  'The Authorities' so here is bid to try and make a dent, well maybe a slight scratch, in the numbers of innocents that die at the hands of the nut-jobs that drive minivans.  

Once again this morning, 8.30, Sukhumvit road on the way to Pattaya; 'Sun, Sea, Sand' (resort near Bang Saray) minivan flashing lights to pass, weaving in and out etc. (no need to go in to detail as we all know the drill) so I have phoned the hotel and informed them, also sent an e-mail.  These morons probably don't realise they are driving a van with a phone number on the side so on previous occasions whenever I have witnessed the same behaviour I call the number and let whoever answers the phone know what is going on.  Even in pigeon Thai, I'm sure some of the message gets across.  One time it was a St. Andrews School van full of kids, got through to their office and found an English speaker that got both barrels - no idea of the outcome, probably nothing, but who knows, worth a try.

Never know, might save a life or 26.

The majority of guys who drive these vans are for the most part as dumb as it gets - Harsh, but true. 

Think of the most stupid people in your class when you were back at school. Its frightening to consider these idiots are now driving, but at least they are driving in a country with better law enforcement. Now consider that the same people have no education and are driving in a country who's law enforcement is absent - That thought is frightening. 

Heading to work I was overtaken by a crew-change minivan on a small private lane going to work. The idiot driving the van driver didn't consider that those who were in cars driving to work were likely to be the supervisors. 

The driver was called in to our office and threaten to dismissal. 

At a similar period a pickup skidded off the small road and over turned.

The speed limit we'd set on the private road was 20 kmh !!!!!! and to be honest, it was in such poor condition (just a temporary dirt track) that 20 kmh was the fastest that could be achieved with any degree of safety - but that didn't prevent the idiot driving a van with 12 passenger from speeding and overtaking his boss !!! - the mind boggles !

22 minutes ago, Cranky said:

An old topic but one that is not being resolved any time soon by  'The Authorities' so here is bid to try and make a dent, well maybe a slight scratch, in the numbers of innocents that die at the hands of the nut-jobs that drive minivans.  

Once again this morning, 8.30, Sukhumvit road on the way to Pattaya; 'Sun, Sea, Sand' (resort near Bang Saray) minivan flashing lights to pass, weaving in and out etc. (no need to go in to detail as we all know the drill) so I have phoned the hotel and informed them, also sent an e-mail.  These morons probably don't realise they are driving a van with a phone number on the side so on previous occasions whenever I have witnessed the same behaviour I call the number and let whoever answers the phone know what is going on.  Even in pigeon Thai, I'm sure some of the message gets across.  One time it was a St. Andrews School van full of kids, got through to their office and found an English speaker that got both barrels - no idea of the outcome, probably nothing, but who knows, worth a try.

Never know, might save a life or 26.

If you have a dash cam, send them a video clip... and also post it on FB.

Hell, post it here as well since it's going to be a long, dry day today.

38 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

If you have a dash cam, send them a video clip... and also post it on FB.

Hell, post it here as well since it's going to be a long, dry day today.

Good call, I have and I will.  

The real joke is these guys are fired if they don't get to their destinations as fast as possible. In many cases they are making several runs a day and if they drove at normal speeds and miss a run, the hotel or travel service will just replace them. Sad but true but you are reporting them to the very orgaization that encourages it.

I do not believe any self-respecting 5-star hotel, or International school sponsor <deleted> drivers.  Private minivan 'buses' yes, wouldn't waste time reporting them but any establishment with foreign interests, and foreign customers need to be told.  As I said, probably nothing will happen but if we all just ignore it, nothing is guaranteed to happen.  I'll take probably.

It's a bit like the four employees.  Somebody, Nobody, Everybody and Anybody.   

Everybody assumed Somebody did it, Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.

Ridicoulous exaggerations. One more time the usual Thai bashing. I stay 10 Years in Thailand and used many Time the Minibus service. 70 times up. One or two Time there was a Idiot Driver, but the rest was driving in a care way. 

4 hours ago, ujayujay said:

Ridicoulous exaggerations. One more time the usual Thai bashing. I stay 10 Years in Thailand and used many Time the Minibus service. 70 times up. One or two Time there was a Idiot Driver, but the rest was driving in a care way. 

U troll

12 hours ago, ujayujay said:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

14 hours ago, ujayujay said:

It only takes the one though.

You do realize that with each additional kilometer of accident free minivan trips under your belt, the odds are inexorably stacking up against you.

17 hours ago, ujayujay said:

Man - you must be riding with your eyes straight forward, or on your cellphone unaware of what is going on around you, or you don't ride on major highways - not a day goes by that I don't see someone in a Mini-Van in Pattaya area driving like an idiot.  Once took the Marriott Shuttle from Bangkok to Pattaya - the driver was driving irradically, we told him to slow down a number of times finally called the hotel because and talking on his cell phone  constantly - halfway there he got a call, stopped on the side of the road yelled at us "Who call my boss, who call my boss" - we all raised our hands, BTW, we were all strangers, he threw the keys in a field and walked away - I am glad they fired him on the spot.  one more idiot off the road.  We had to wait an hour for another van, but there was a nice restaurant close by.

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Man - you must be riding with your eyes straight forward, or on your cellphone unaware of what is going on around you, or you don't ride on major highways - not a day goes by that I don't see someone in a Mini-Van in Pattaya area driving like an idiot.  Once took the Marriott Shuttle from Bangkok to Pattaya - the driver was driving irradically, we told him to slow down a number of times finally called the hotel because and talking on his cell phone  constantly - halfway there he got a call, stopped on the side of the road yelled at us "Who call my boss, who call my boss" - we all raised our hands, BTW, we were all strangers, he threw the keys in a field and walked away - I am glad they fired him on the spot.  one more idiot off the road.  We had to wait an hour for another van, but there was a nice restaurant close by.

Great tale.  Love it.

Interesting scenario going on in Kenya right now.  They have a similar problem with psychotic Matutu drivers and came up with an interesting effort at a solution - extract below

As an experiment to remedy the problem, signs were posted in matatus that urged: “Don’t just sit there while he drives dangerously! Stand up! Speak up! Now.” The result: Driving deaths and insurance claims decreased dramatically.

Would it work here ?  No idea, but worth a go.  Here's the link https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/changepower/201303/when-your-driver-is-speeding-what-can-you-do

As for you my old China that reckons minivans are safe - "one or two times an idiot driver"  We'll take that as at least two then. So 3% of the time you have an idiot driver and you are cool with that?  Adrenalin Junkie? 

20 hours ago, ujayujay said:

Always one is there....

1 hour ago, robertthebruce said:

Always one is there....

Always.  Thing is, this is nothing to do with Thai-bashing, that would be too easy with hundreds of ways to bash the incompetents we know as our hosts.  

On 05/10/2017 at 1:30 PM, Cranky said:

I do not believe any self-respecting 5-star hotel, or International school sponsor <deleted> drivers.  Private minivan 'buses' yes, wouldn't waste time reporting them but any establishment with foreign interests, and foreign customers need to be told.  As I said, probably nothing will happen but if we all just ignore it, nothing is guaranteed to happen.  I'll take probably.

It's a bit like the four employees.  Somebody, Nobody, Everybody and Anybody.   

Everybody assumed Somebody did it, Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.

You should continue to report them, no mistake.

Good saying, not heard that one for donkeys years.

Archived