Thailand again listed as deadliest spot for Australians abroad last year

webfact

Thailand again listed as deadliest spot for Australians abroad last year

ALMOST 50 Aussies were murdered overseas last year according to a new report which reveals the country that was our most dangerous holiday destination for the second year running.

Tom Minear and Rob Harris

NEARLY 50 Australians were murdered overseas last year according to a new report which again named Thailand as the most dangerous holiday destination.

Almost 1700 Australian tourists died while abroad, including 203 in Thailand, 126 in the Philippines and 107 in Indonesia.

New figures show 446 tourists lost their lives due to illness, 211 died in accidents and 68 died by suicide, while another 340 Australians died of natural causes.

Forty-nine people were murdered. The Consular State of Play report also revealed that the number of Australians who were the victims of assault overseas had soared 39 per cent in the last five years.

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/thailand-again-listed-as-deadliest-spot-for-australians-abroad-last-year/news-story/e8061a47e47112ecbfc9462d2668e652

news_comau_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright News.com.au 2017-10-05

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thirty-four Aussies jailed in Vietnam and 26 in Thailand were on drugs matters.

The above has nothing to do with any 'danger' related to Thailand, far more, the stupidity of some of the Australian citizens travelling there.

Fist it was 50 Aussies murdered overseas, then later in the article it was 49 Aussies murdered, the Consular state of play stated, but the article fails to clarify if it was in Thailand or an accumulation of other countries, I would suggest the latter.

Poor reporting in my opinion.

Thailand pays scant or no attention to basic safety procedures.

Thailand's roads are the most dangerous in the world.

Thailand's "ambulances" usually contain no equipment other than a stretcher and the "paramedics" are obsessed with CPR as the treatment for all conditions.

Thailand is, by any yardstick, a developing nation.

We all take a risk by either living here or holidaying here.

Given the link is behind a paywall, here's the DFAT report the article was based on. 

Thailand/ Australian numbers

4th for overseas destination : 529,000

1st place for Smarttraveller queries: 389,583 views

1st place for embassy assistance cases: 893

1st place for hospitalizations: 195

1st place for deaths: 203

1st place for missing persons: 74

4th place for arrests: 100

4th place for imprisonment: 26

2nd place for drug related arrests: 13 "active cases"

7th place for lost/ stolen passports: 115

57 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Fist it was 50 Aussies murdered overseas, then later in the article it was 49 Aussies murdered, the Consular state of play stated, but the article fails to clarify if it was in Thailand or an accumulation of other countries, I would suggest the latter.

Poor reporting in my opinion.

Overseas......so the 50 or 49  were not all in Thailand....just that Thailand is the most dangerous for the Australian. The higher percentage I suppose.....very badly written.

46 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Thailand's "ambulances" usually contain no equipment other than a stretcher and the "paramedics" are obsessed with CPR as the treatment for all conditions.

You forgot the fact that thais don’t care about the safety of tourists. It’s all about making money. 

14 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Overseas......so the 50 or 49  were not all in Thailand....just that Thailand is the most dangerous for the Australian. The higher percentage I suppose.....very badly written.

Yeh, my thoughts exactly.

59 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Love the term, "a developing nation". Is manufacturing "hub" for Auto industry in Asia producing some 2.0m + vehicles, BKK has 3 rail systems that moves millions everyday + Gov't announced 20 yr plan for Thai rail development, had 4G networks for several years & fiber optic cabling last 12 mths or so... Yes, it's developing, but at faster pace than some "developed" countries!!

2 hours ago, webfact said:

ALMOST 50 Aussies were murdered overseas last year

Maybe I have different comprehension skills from others here, but I noticed the word "almost" and decided that 49 fitted that description,  and I also noted it said overseas, not Thailand.

I don't know why some were confused.

53 minutes ago, eggers said:

Love the term, "a developing nation". Is manufacturing "hub" for Auto industry in Asia producing some 2.0m + vehicles, BKK has 3 rail systems that moves millions everyday + Gov't announced 20 yr plan for Thai rail development, had 4G networks for several years & fiber optic cabling last 12 mths or so... Yes, it's developing, but at faster pace than some "developed" 

You're confused with the term. Social economic are the key factors.... not infrastructure. 

31 minutes ago, NextStationBangkok said:

Australia should introduce :drunk: "Beer drinking license" before they come here.

Otherwise it is difficult to control them after the 5th beer :drunk:, especially when there is a fellow dude!

:partytime2:

So after 5 beers they might go for the ladyboy?? :sorry:

In civilized countries, a crime is a crime. The police do something called "investigation." The police do not give preferential treatment to their own citizens.  They also don't watch TV or laugh during an investigation. They write a police report on each complaint, not just the ones they want or the ones where they are paid tea money. 

13 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

That's the first smart trick I learned from the TAT.

I now can read it through the direct link to "The Herald":

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/thailand-again-listed-as-deadliest-spot-for-australians-abroad-last-year/news-story/e8061a47e47112ecbfc9462d2668e652?nk=ae13df18654415e0485c8421881963ec-1507190096

1 hour ago, eggers said:

Yes, it's developing, but at faster pace than some "developed" countries!!

Congratulations on the dumbest comment this year. 

Of course developing countries develop faster than developed countries. Developed countries are  already developed.

You are so funny.

Another piece of doctoring the facts to make a sensational headline.

203 died in Thailand, causes not broken down. I know many Aussies here, almost none of them under 60 and several in their 80's. Statistically most probably died of natural causes which would have happened whether they were here or not. The way pensions are I would suggest they were here of their own accord, and like my friends enjoying a nice life.

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Here is alot safer than walking the streets on London i can tell ya.

2 hours ago, lordblackader said:

Given the link is behind a paywall, here's the DFAT report the article was based on. 

Thailand/ Australian numbers

4th for overseas destination : 529,000

1st place for Smarttraveller queries: 389,583 views

1st place for embassy assistance cases: 893

1st place for hospitalizations: 195

1st place for deaths: 203

1st place for missing persons: 74

4th place for arrests: 100

4th place for imprisonment: 26

2nd place for drug related arrests: 13 "active cases"

7th place for lost/ stolen passports: 115

..we certainly give all..live life to the full, legal or illegal.

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Thailand is far ahead of Cambodia, Philippines, Laos, Myanmar and others in those areas; and except for maybe the PI, more Ozzies are here

Archived