Thailand again listed as deadliest spot for Australians abroad last year

webfact

Without looking at the report, I'd guess this is a case of statistics meaning jack

if the same number of Aussie went to... say.... Nigeria, then I'm sure that would come up as more dangerous, for example

anyway.... my beer is getting salty from crying into it, so I'd best check another thread

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are right Next Station,

They are a funny bunch of dudes, just have a look at Bali & you will see the  animals at the trough

with no regard for anybody else after 5 or 6 drinks. Some Brits not far behind.

The Aussie numbers in prison here speaks for itself.

When overseas they seem to loose it for some reason or another & appear to wanna play Mr or Mrs tough guy . (With apologies to the sensible great Aussies)

The sad thing is Brits and many others are in the same boat here, always the stupid Farangs fault, I wonder what would be said if Thai's died at this rate overseas, We sort of saw that when a car went over a ravine in the USA did we not. dangerous yes.

If you read the article in the “Australian” newspaper today Thursday, you get a more balanced report and certainly puts it into perspective as it also refers to people dying from natural causes

The article above is just sensationalist reporting.

17 minutes ago, natway09 said:

They are a funny bunch of dudes, just have a look at Bali & you will see the  animals at the trough

When overseas they seem to loose it for some reason or another & appear to wanna play Mr or Mrs tough guy . (With apologies to the sensible great Aussies)

Don’t apologies sadly it’s true !!

2 hours ago, eggers said:

Love the term, "a developing nation". Is manufacturing "hub" for Auto industry in Asia producing some 2.0m + vehicles, BKK has 3 rail systems that moves millions everyday + Gov't announced 20 yr plan for Thai rail development, had 4G networks for several years & fiber optic cabling last 12 mths or so... Yes, it's developing, but at faster pace than some "developed" countries!!

And no 1 in Raw sewerage being directly pumped into a sea shore from millions of toilets  and is proclaimed a world class beach (Miami) in Pattaya as an example and next door Walking St (Tourist hotspot) and a Pier full of restaurants and bars where patrons hold their nose. LMFAO

1 hour ago, soistalker said:

In civilized countries, a crime is a crime. The police do something called "investigation." The police do not give preferential treatment to their own citizens.  They also don't watch TV or laugh during an investigation. They write a police report on each complaint, not just the ones they want or the ones where they are paid tea money. 

They also know what forensics are and use the procedure to convict those who use the suicide murders.

3 hours ago, eggers said:

Love the term, "a developing nation". Is manufacturing "hub" for Auto industry in Asia producing some 2.0m + vehicles, BKK has 3 rail systems that moves millions everyday + Gov't announced 20 yr plan for Thai rail development, had 4G networks for several years & fiber optic cabling last 12 mths or so... Yes, it's developing, but at faster pace than some "developed" countries!!

But you forgot to mention that all of this infrastructure etc.., is owned by the Chinese and Japanese and other assorted foreign companies.

46 minutes ago, natway09 said:

It is the Aussie hoon/tough guy philosophy that is born in hollywood.  Hopefully they will improve now that all the men are marrying men and women marrying women.

Fist it was 50 Aussies murdered overseas, then later in the article it was 49 Aussies murdered, the Consular state of play stated, but the article fails to clarify if it was in Thailand or an accumulation of other countries, I would suggest the latter.

Poor reporting in my opinion.

ALMOST 50 it said.

Sent from my CAM-L21 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A lucky star, Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy seem nice, but on a daily basis one needs to rely only on individual common sense and behave with caution.

Where you come from or where you visit is meaningless, as there are  harmfully intented people or situations that occur all over the world.

Sometimes no matter how physically strong or how big a mouth one can have...trouble can get the upper hand.

Also true however that sometimes sh*t just happens, no matter how cautious one can be...stay safe and enjoy ...and condoleances to the families of the deceased...

4 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Thailand is, by any yardstick, a developing nation.

Thailand has been around for a very long time, so wouldn't it be great if the 'developing' stage was over by now. Why it isn't would make an interesting study. I'm sure TV members will come up with a thousand theories.

3 hours ago, eggers said:

But....The development needs to be spread out more.    Not a lot of use having highly mechanised and robotocised factories and industries, when the country can't yet standardise on its electrical system (5 different plugs in use)  or building new houses, swimming pools,  with sub-standard wiring, earthing.

Then there's the attitude to Road safety..!!

5 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Thailand pays scant or no attention to basic safety procedures.

Thailand's roads are the most dangerous in the world.

Thailand's "ambulances" usually contain no equipment other than a stretcher and the "paramedics" are obsessed with CPR as the treatment for all conditions.

We all take a risk by either living here or holidaying here.

I call BS on this as I live and drive in Thailand and have been to many countries all over the world. How about you?  If you really feel this way instead of reading misleading statistics then please find a place you like that fits your safety needs. Cheers

5 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Thailand pays scant or no attention to basic safety procedures.

Thailand's roads are the most dangerous in the world.

Thailand's "ambulances" usually contain no equipment other than a stretcher and the "paramedics" are obsessed with CPR as the treatment for all conditions.

We all take a risk by either living here or holidaying here.

on their list of priorities, safety does not appear; safety implies safety to others; the concept of 'others' here in thailand is a dim one at best

A true comparison would be on a per-capita basis... 

i.e. how many Australian Tourists visited Thailand last year... 50 of whom were murdered - calculate to a Murder rate per 100,000 people. 

Compare that figure to how many murders per 100,000 people in Australia.

We can then fully evaluate how much greater the risk of visiting Thailand is. 

For those who suggest its down to those who behave badly, it is likely these 'sorts' also behave poorly at home where they are surely also at risk of a violent demise. 

And so Thailand is deadliest place for Australians for the 2nd year running.

Almost 1700 Australian tourists died while abroad, wow! so few   3 destinations have been sited Thailand = 203, Philippines = 126 and Indonesia. 107.(most Aussies go to Bali).  total for 3 places 436 Aussies.   1264 died somewhere else.

50 Aussies were murdered abroad.   if we assume that the murders happen in just these 3 named places that means 16 happened in Thailand.      Keep in mind that 1700 died, 436 died in 3 places as above. of the 1700. 446 tourists lost their lives due to illness, 211 died in accidents 68 died by suicide 340 Australians died of natural causes.  50 were murdered. = 1551 deaths but wait!  there are 1700 Aussie tourists all overseas.  what happen to the other 149??  

in regards to the 50 murders, 16 would have happened in Thailand if we assume that the deadly 3 counties named had equal murders.  Ah well! something for Agatha Christie or inspector Poirot to figure out 

5 hours ago, eggers said:

Only in certain respects , way behind in others .

I don't know if Thailand is a dangerous place, or there just exists more potential for Aussies (or Brits, etc) to make it so.  Perhaps that adds up to the same thing.  It is quite striking how people become involved in things that they wouldn't do in their home country, eg, ride a big bike without experience, go diving when you can't swim, or pick a fight with a gang of locals when you are no brawler.  Sometimes, I think the ptroblem is that there is no one around to just tell you no.

4 hours ago, Thian said:

So after 5 beers they might go for the ladyboy?? :sorry:

You might be on the right track with the suggestion of a licence 

In most States in Australia and particularly NSW ( Sydney) there is legislation relating to the “responsible service of alcohol”

Any person serving alcohol has to have undertaken a course in relation to the serving of alcohol and can be fined together with the licensee of the establishment if a person is found intoxicated

Police regularly walk through bars, pubs, clubs etc to enforce the above

I am aware of examples where a person has been found intoxicated away from the establishment and the licensee of the last place they consumed alcohol has been fined

Maybe this is why they come here and “ wipe themselves out”

Archived