Thailand again listed as deadliest spot for Australians abroad last year

webfact

2 hours ago, car720 said:

It is the Aussie hoon/tough guy philosophy that is born in hollywood.  Hopefully they will improve now that all the men are marrying men and women marrying women.

This one is staying with the women

I don’t think the legislation has been approved or passed yet

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Thailand pays scant or no attention to basic safety procedures.

Thailand's roads are the most dangerous in the world.

Thailand's "ambulances" usually contain no equipment other than a stretcher and the "paramedics" are obsessed with CPR as the treatment for all conditions.

Thailand is, by any yardstick, a developing nation.

We all take a risk by either living here or holidaying here.

Thailand could hardly be be considered a 'developing nation'! despite the claim of Thailand 4.0!

But, maybe the Aussie tourists have too much alcoholism , 

35 minutes ago, lumply said:

To put this into context, how to the Aussi figures compare with other Nationalities, say from the USA and UK?

UK is about the same I think.  I think it has something to do with having universal healthcare: it wasn't until I came to Thailand and had to pick up a doctor's tab that I realised it would be a good idea to wise up.

6 hours ago, soistalker said:

In civilized countries, a crime is a crime. The police do something called "investigation." The police do not give preferential treatment to their own citizens.  They also don't watch TV or laugh during an investigation. They write a police report on each complaint, not just the ones they want or the ones where they are paid tea money. 

I would agree with that.

However, after living 20 years in Australia, the word civilised and Australia does not sit too comfortable in the same sentence.

31 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

I would agree with that.

However, after living 20 years in Australia, the word civilised and Australia does not sit too comfortable in the same sentence.

Well, with that syntax they wouldn't, would they?:smile:

9 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Fist it was 50 Aussies murdered overseas, then later in the article it was 49 Aussies murdered, the Consular state of play stated, but the article fails to clarify if it was in Thailand or an accumulation of other countries, I would suggest the latter.

Poor reporting in my opinion.

Nowhere does it say "50", just "almost 50" and "nearly 50", but I agree that it fails to clarify the number in Thailand, merely:-

NEARLY 50 Australians were murdered overseas last year according to a new report which again named Thailand as the most dangerous holiday destination.

Yes, poor reporting.

7 hours ago, car720 said:

But you forgot to mention that all of this infrastructure etc.., is owned by the Chinese and Japanese and other assorted foreign companies.

Most of the energy companies in the UK are foreign owned, a lot of the rail and bus franchises.

The nuclear power plant at Hinckley point, is a French/ Chinese collaboration with the government

signing up to a long term deal guaranteeing a fixed price for 35 years which is extremely generous.

Yes Thailand is a dangerous country, for many reasons. Tropical countries have

poisoness critters that can kill you. Tropical countries are also hot and that can affect

your mind and make you drink more to stay hydrated, but unfortunately beer is not the

drink for doing that.  Thailand also has bad roads, bad drivers, and if you are also a bit

tipsy you discover that some hospitals in Thailand are not the best to be at unless you

like to have your slightly damaged leg to be amputated instead of saved.  This is for all

Foreignors and not just the Australians. So many Aussies go to Thailand in the Winter

to escape the heat of their Summer and other times of year that the shear numbers of

visiters make Thailand seem even more dangerous.  The survey is not accurate.

Vietnam and Cambodia, as well as Burma would also be  condisered dangerous if the numbers of

tourism increases from other countries to these countries as well.

Geezer

14 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Yes Thailand is a dangerous country, for many reasons. Tropical countries have

poisoness critters that can kill you. Tropical countries are also hot and that can affect

your mind and make you drink more to stay hydrated, but unfortunately beer is not the

drink for doing that.  Thailand also has bad roads, bad drivers, and if you are also a bit

tipsy you discover that some hospitals in Thailand are not the best to be at unless you

like to have your slightly damaged leg to be amputated instead of saved.  This is for all

Foreignors and not just the Australians. So many Aussies go to Thailand in the Winter

to escape the heat of their Summer and other times of year that the shear numbers of

visiters make Thailand seem even more dangerous.  The survey is not accurate.

Vietnam and Cambodia, as well as Burma would also be  condisered dangerous if the numbers of

tourism increases from other countries to these countries as well.

Geezer

Australia has more 'poisonous critters' than anywhere else...even the butterflies bite!!

Mind you the thai ladyboys are up there with the the best Oz even can offer.

8 hours ago, StevieAus said:

You might be on the right track with the suggestion of a licence 

In most States in Australia and particularly NSW ( Sydney) there is legislation relating to the “responsible service of alcohol”

Any person serving alcohol has to have undertaken a course in relation to the serving of alcohol and can be fined together with the licensee of the establishment if a person is found intoxicated

Police regularly walk through bars, pubs, clubs etc to enforce the above

I am aware of examples where a person has been found intoxicated away from the establishment and the licensee of the last place they consumed alcohol has been fined

Maybe this is why they come here and “ wipe themselves out”

So now I wait to see how you would handle this problem, please do not keep me waiting until I die. The UK has the same laws and it works to a point.

14 hours ago, NextStationBangkok said:

Australia should introduce :drunk: "Beer drinking license" before they come here.

Otherwise it is difficult to control them after the 5th beer :drunk:, especially when there is a fellow dude!

:partytime2:

Funny, but that is my observation also.

They also cannot control the mouth, which usually result in getting it punched in for them!

Cant blaim them really tho, i think life in Australia very dull and beer is quite expensive

21 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Thirty-four Aussies jailed in Vietnam and 26 in Thailand were on drugs matters.

The above has nothing to do with any 'danger' related to Thailand, far more, the stupidity of some of the Australian citizens travelling there.

Yes, we all know Thailand is a safe country.

20 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Worked only once.

I am clueless.

You can bypass the paywalls of most newspapers by just doing a simple google search.

Just copy the articles headline and search for it on Google:

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=Thailand+again+listed+as+deadliest+spot+for+Australians+abroad+last+year&oq=Thailand+again+listed+as+deadliest+spot+for+Australians+abroad+last+year&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l3.3975j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

14 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

Funny, but that is my observation also.

They also cannot control the mouth, which usually result in getting it punched in for them!

Cant blaim them really tho, i think life in Australia very dull and beer is quite expensive

I can assure you that life in Australia is far from dull but these days it is expensive to live there

As far as the price of beer no idea as I never drank it, instead the great wines and particularly the Sav Blancs from NZ and of course half the price of what you pay here

14 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

So now I wait to see how you would handle this problem, please do not keep me waiting until I die. The UK has the same laws and it works to a point.

Fortunately it’s not my problem to resolve there is no way you could have such laws here as the police cannot/ will not enforce existing legislation

Plus I am told many of the bars are owned by the police or they have a financial interest.

Realistically it is only a minority that create the problems as happens in Australia but then the government uses a sledgehammer to crack a peanut

Its the same old Nanny State syndrome which is one reason why I no longer live there

On 10/6/2017 at 9:58 PM, StevieAus said:

Fortunately it’s not my problem to resolve there is no way you could have such laws here as the police cannot/ will not enforce existing legislation

Plus I am told many of the bars are owned by the police or they have a financial interest.

Realistically it is only a minority that create the problems as happens in Australia but then the government uses a sledgehammer to crack a peanut

Its the same old Nanny State syndrome which is one reason why I no longer live there

"Its the same old Nanny State syndrome which is one reason why I no longer live there"

Don't get sick or old (unless you're rich, of course).

3 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

"Its the same old Nanny State syndrome which is one reason why I no longer live there"

Don't get sick or old (unless you're rich, of course).

I thought the original post was related to the behavior of Australians visiting Thailand and excessive drinking?

But just for the record I decided many years ago that I would make provision for my own future in retirement and don’t get one cent from the Australian government.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 12:59 PM, Thaiwrath said:

Thirty-four Aussies jailed in Vietnam and 26 in Thailand were on drugs matters.

The above has nothing to do with any 'danger' related to Thailand, far more, the stupidity of some of the Australian citizens travelling there.

Lets face it as a general rule of thumb it would apply to all countries with a high amount of it's citizens abroad, not only Australia. 

3 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I thought the original post was related to the behavior of Australians visiting Thailand and excessive drinking?

But just for the record I decided many years ago that I would make provision for my own future in retirement and don’t get one cent from the Australian government.

1) You made the statement - I 'questioned' it! 

2) Good on you, just doesn't apply to all that live there.

5 hours ago, StevieAus said:

If you go back to Page 1 and read the original article, nothing is mentioned about drink!

On 10/6/2017 at 10:39 PM, StevieAus said:

I can assure you that life in Australia is far from dull but these days it is expensive to live there

As far as the price of beer no idea as I never drank it, instead the great wines and particularly the Sav Blancs from NZ and of course half the price of what you pay here

Well, the way they treat their own make you see why they go silly in Thailand.

In some club they will refuse to serve you even after 3 beers as there is all sorts of laws they must abide with.

In a few places i went they wont even let you in to another club if you are walking around even just a little before midnight..

they can have it..Sanook of all kind banned in Aus

Archived