No Guarantee Of 2018 Elections, Prawit Says

webfact

No Guarantee Of 2018 Elections, Prawit Says

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

prawit.ks_-696x425.jpg

Gen. Prawit Wongsuwan, at center.

BANGKOK — Deputy junta leader Prawit Wongsuwan quickly doused expectations Wednesday that general elections would take place next year.

Gen. Prawit, who is also deputy prime minister, said that when the junta leader told US President Donald Trump elections would be announced next year, it did not mean they would be held in 2018.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2017/10/05/no-guarantee-2018-elections-prawit-says/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-10-05

So in 2018 we can expect them to announce that elections will be held in 2030 or shortly after, maybe, but perhaps not we've lost the road map and the stars are not in the right alignment. 

Right, glad that has been cleared up then. 

4 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

promises, promises...

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

is there no stage when Thais have had enough?

'Let them eat cake' has become 'Let them eat sh!t'. So let them. I have little to no sympathy anymore, to be honest.

38 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

promises, promises...

Thai people have had enough! What can they do?  Stay in line or called in for "attitude adjustment"    Sad, sinking ship

7 minutes ago, quadperfect said:

And so the same old thing. I guess if thai people dont care then its all good.

Yep not a big deal. I guess if there was an election then the news would be oh so boring.

If history was to show a pattern, 2 military governments in the past that hold on to power more than 4 years exited quite dramatically and in disgrace. Those periods of mainly poor and subservient population. Not now with a woken mass of the population; thanks to social media and that yolk lifted from many of them. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Prawit quickly doused expectations Wednesday that general elections would take place next year.

Elections cannot be held until the 20 year plans have been fulfilled. Why otherwise have 20 year plans; why not just 1, or at most, 2 year plans?

1 hour ago, baboon said:

So where is the story? 'Junta member tells foreigner some old crap they wanted to hear.' Again. More fool the foreigner if (s)he believes anything they say after well over 3 years of this.

You mean Trump was Thaied to?

4 minutes ago, Golgota said:

I would be extremely cautious if i was Prawit. The end of the mourning period could be an awakening...

Lets hope the Thai people do finally wake up and rid forever the military interference and control.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Deputy junta leader Prawit Wongsuwan quickly doused expectations Wednesday that general elections would take place next year.

Well surprise, surprise, surprise. 

This comes as a shock to me!  :shock1:  :shock1:  Does it mean Prayut "Thaied" to Trump? :post-4641-1156694606:  Did he also "Thai" about the coal deal? 

The “road map to democracy” appears to have no visible end, along with the tenure of the military-led government which drafted it.

All the signs are pointing ominously towards a future scenario predicted a few months ago by a recent, nation-wide telephone poll of the 1,240

Thais from all walks of life.

More than half the people quizzed by the National Institute of Development Administration said theywanted General Prayuth to stay on as prime minister.

A majority were happy for the current cabinet to carry on running the show provided the junta formed a new party and won the promised election.

Nearly four years of tough love by the generals have worked. Most Thais, more than anything else, appear to value stability and a quiet life above those rights and freedoms lost in the wake of the military takeover.

The junta has cleverly prepared the way for its possible transition into a political force when its caretaker role has run its course with a 20 year development plan and a new constitution which severely limits detours from the rigid road map.

With both main political parties dispirited and virtually rudderless - the Democrats’ Abhisit is a spent force and Pheua Thai looks lost without a Thaksin at the helm - the 64,000 dollar question has to be: Does anyone really want an election?

Remember this, Prayuth?

“Please have confidence in the roadmap,” Prayuth told reporters at Government House, his official offices, before a cabinet meeting.

“An election will take place in 2017, I have never said anything different to this.” :saai:

5 hours ago, baboon said:

So where is the story? 'Junta member tells foreigner some old crap they wanted to hear.' Again. More fool the foreigner if (s)he believes anything they say after well over 3 years of this.

even a fool like trump wouldnt believe a thai who proudly proclaimed he was all powerful and could do whatever he wanted; bet trump had to look up where thailand even was

5 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

promises, promises...

Not a student of Thai history are you?

1976, 1992, 2010

Can you really blame ordinary Thais for taking their time in confronting opponents who are so willing to shed others blood to protect their own interests?

So a little patience is due my friend.

This is chess.

A new game is afoot and one side has been irrevocably weakened by the recent loss of an irreplaceable piece.

Remember

In the long run.... right always beats might.

I think that if you believe most/all Thai people do not like the current government, you would be wrong.  From my observations, most Thais are happy to have peace and security.  I don't think they really care who is governing, as long as they have enough money for their daily amount of rice and some gaeng or other food to go with it.  They are not very demanding people, and are easily pleased.   It seems like only the farangs living here are upset by not having elections soon.  That's really none of our business!

48 minutes ago, rickb said:

I think that if you believe most/all Thai people do not like the current government, you would be wrong.  From my observations, most Thais are happy to have peace and security.  I don't think they really care who is governing, as long as they have enough money for their daily amount of rice and some gaeng or other food to go with it.  They are not very demanding people, and are easily pleased.   It seems like only the farangs living here are upset by not having elections soon.  That's really none of our business!

I would say your opinion is subjective, but we live in a time of stifled free speech. So we can't really trust what anyone says. Especially in a culture of politics being a taboo subject to talk about. 

Archived