Retirement Visa

I've been spending more time in Thailand lately.  Hence, interested in "retirement" O-A Visa.  On the face of it the requirements seem pretty objective.  Over 50 years old and enough money in a Thai bank.  Possibly criminal and medical certificates - though I've read that you don't get asked for these applying inside Thailand.

However, I'm getting the impression talking to other expats that there are more barriers to being granted visas now than there were previously.  More restrictions perhaps.  Is there anything I should know before applying?  Any potential pitfalls?

Will it be ok to apply within Thailand, having entered the country (flight from Malaysia) on a 30 day stamp?

doing a conversion will not be easy in Thailand as it seems some local immigration offices are saying 'no can do'

it would be better to obtain a non imm 'O' visa before arrival. you could then do a one year extension of stay at a local immigration office, financial conditions are attached to the application.

single non imm 'O' can also be obtained in Vientiane  Lao, Financials required

non imm 'O' 'A' visa's are only obtained in home country, and require doctor and police report,  are valid for one year and give a one year permission to stay stamp on arrival, you can get two years of stay by doing a fresh entry just prior to the 'visa ' expiry date.

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

it would be better to obtain a non imm 'O' visa before arrival. you could then do a one year extension of stay at a local immigration office, financial conditions are attached to the application.

single non imm 'O' can also be obtained in Vientiane  Lao, Financials required

If he is flying in from Malaysia it might be more convenient for him to obtain a non-O visa in Penang.

In that case - I'll delay the "O" Visa application for a few months - and just go for another Tourist Visa for this iteration.

If I have to apply for the "O" Visa OUTSIDE of Thailand then I'll need a letter from my Thai Bank - so I'll need to go back into Thailand first to get that.  

For the "O" Visa application - will I need the medical and criminal certificates??  Where do I get the medical certificate?  Are there authorised clinics in Bangkok?

How do I get a criminal certificate?  If I was in the UK - I'd pop into a police station I expect... but how do I get one here in Asia?

For an "O" Visa, do people recommend Vientiane over Penang?  Or any particular nearby consulate?  (I'd prefer Penang).

Edited by 234872_1469957439

Would my Thai Bank Passbook suffice as evidence of funds?

Will I need to provide evidence of accommodation / residence in Thailand?  (For the initial "O" Visa application).

Just to confirm - the "O" Visa can be based on age + funds can't it? (+police, medical, and accommodation?)  I don't have to be married to a Thai I hope!

7 hours ago, 234872_1469957439 said:

If I have to apply for the "O" Visa OUTSIDE of Thailand then I'll need a letter from my Thai Bank - so I'll need to go back into Thailand first to get that.  

For the "O" Visa application - will I need the medical and criminal certificates??  Where do I get the medical certificate?  Are there authorised clinics in Bangkok?

You will need your bank book showing 800k baht in the bank on date you apply for the non-o visa.. Update it and make copies of it a day or so before you travel to get it.

You will not need a medical certificate or police clearance to get a single entry non-o or extension of stay based upon retirement. But Vientiane does require them for the non-o visa.

You can get the non-o visa in Penang but you will need proof your are retired along with the 800k baht in the bank proof. A income letter from your embassy showing any amount of income or a notarized statement that you are retired will be accepted as proof of retirement.

Ubonjoe, I hadnt heard of proof of retirement and it isnt listed in the embassy requirements, is that a new thing?

When applying for the initial non immigrant o visa is it right that the proof of funds can be in a foreign bank account as at that stage people such as myself will not have been able to open a thai back account as these are unopenable these days on a tourist visa. 

By the way, does anyone know how long Penang usually take to process a non immigrant o application?

Thanks

5 minutes ago, uncleeagle said:

Ubonjoe, I hadnt heard of proof of retirement and it isnt listed in the embassy requirements, is that a new thing?

Not sure what embassy website you are looking at. The consulate in Penang's website takes you to a page on the department of consular affairs website that is in Thai and it only has general information on it.

Penang want the proof of retirement. It has been discussed many times and people have been turned away without it.

When applying for the initial non immigrant o visa is it right that the proof of funds can be in a foreign bank account as at that stage people such as myself will not have been able to open a thai back account as these are unopenable these days on a tourist visa. 

They may accept the funds being in a non Thai bank.

You will find that it can be just as difficult to open a Thai bank account with a non-o visa as a tourist visa entry. You just have to try different banks and different branches of the same bank.

By the way, does anyone know how long Penang usually take to process a non immigrant o application?

You apply by 11am of one day and pick up your passport the next afternoon at 2pm.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what embassy website you are looking at. The consulate in Penang's website takes you to a page on the department of consular affairs website that is in Thai and it only has general information on it.

Penang want the proof of retirement. It has been discussed many times and people have been turned away without it.

They may accept the funds being in a non Thai bank.

You will find that it can be just as difficult to open a Thai bank account with a non-o visa as a tourist visa entry. You just have to try different banks and different branches of the same bank.

You apply by 11am of one day and pick up your passport the next afternoon at 2pm.

Thanks again. I wonder what proof of retirement even means. People can always return to work. Or does it mean in receipt of a regular pension? But then thee are people with lots of money but no actual pension payment. What does proof of retirement mean?

Ok.  I need to investigate the "proof of retirement" further.  I thought that if you had enough money in a Thai bank - you wouldn't need to be in receipt of a pension.

(btw... many years ago - I managed to open a couple of Thai bank accounts with just a Tourist Visa)

If "proof of retirement" really does mean proving that you have adequate funds.  Then isn't that covered by having >800K in a Thai Bank?  But if it is a matter of showing evidence of further funds above this - - - how much?

I think and hope that proof of retirement probably just means proof of funds but I am also not 100% sure. Am planning on applying in Penang soon as a resident but not citizen of Malaysia so a little apprehensive because that adds another layer of compexity.

Hopefully proof of funds in a non Thai bank will be enough for the non immigrant o and then transfer funds to a Thai bank on my next visit. The funds will need to be in the account for a minimum of 2 months to be accepted when it comes to get the extension that constitutes the actual so called retirement visa.

14 minutes ago, 234872_1469957439 said:

But if it is a matter of showing evidence of further funds above this - - - how much?

Proving additional funds is not a requirement but it is one way of proving it by way of an income letter showing any amount of income.

As I wrote earlier you could do a statement (affidavit, statutory declaration or whatever) at your embassy that you are retired.

11 minutes ago, 234872_1469957439 said:

I find it odd that I have to prove income as proof of retirement.

You do not have to prove income. As I wrote you could do a statement that you are retired that would satisfy the consulate as long as it was notarized by your embassy.

From what I've gathered from another thread... The British Embassy doesn't do a "proof of retirement" letter.  Though they may issue a letter confirming your pension.  I'm not old enough to receive a pension.  But I am old enough to qualify for the 50+ condition.

Will the British Embassy notarise a statement?  Has anyone tried this?  I'm reluctant though to commit to a legal document that states I will never work in the future.

It's looking like this "proof of retirement" is a sticking point - and I'm inclined to limp along on Tourist Visas until my next visit to the UK in March.  So let's talk about "O-A" Visas applied for in my own country...  Do I still need a "proof of retirement"??

37 minutes ago, 234872_1469957439 said:

It's looking like this "proof of retirement" is a sticking point - and I'm inclined to limp along on Tourist Visas until my next visit to the UK in March.

You could apply at an immigration office to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry. All you would need is 800k baht in a Thai bank on the date you apply. You would need a letter from your bank confirming the funds came from abroad. 

They don't ask for proof you are retired to apply for a OA visa.

As far as I know only Penang and Savannakhet require the proof of retirement.

On 6 October 2017 at 7:01 AM, steve187 said:

doing a conversion will not be easy in Thailand as it seems some local immigration offices are saying 'no can do'

it would be better to obtain a non imm 'O' visa before arrival.

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could apply at an immigration office to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry. All you would need is 800k baht in a Thai bank on the date you apply. You would need a letter from your bank confirming the funds came from abroad. 

@ubonjoe Do you mean an non-imm-O-Visa application applied for WITHIN Thailand?  But @steve187 reported that these are being refused.  Hence we've been talking about applications outside of Thailand.

However - Right now - Penang is not an option for me - as I'm unwilling to sign a legal document that stipulates that I will never work again for the rest of my life.  (The "proof of retirement").

So - I'm considering three options for now.

1. Limp along on Tourist Visas until I visit the UK in March.  (I can get one in Penang for now).  Then sort out a non-imm-OA-Visa in the UK... then extend this within Thailand.

2. Either get a Tourist Visa (from Penang) or 30 day entry stamp for now.  But when I exit Thailand again - go to a different consulate (not Penang) - that DOESN'T require "proof of retirement".  (Kota Baru?).  And apply for a non-imm-O-Visa... then extend this within Thailand.

3. Limp along on Tourist Visas until I visit the UK in March.  (I can get one in Penang for now).  Then get a METV every year in the UK every year when I visit.  Forget about retirement visa hassles.

I'm looking to spend a maximum of 9 months in Thailand every year.  So which is my best path?  1. non-imm-OA-Visa->retirement.  2. non-imm-O-Visa->retirement?  3. METVs

11 minutes ago, 234872_1469957439 said:

@ubonjoe Do you mean an non-imm-O-Visa application applied for WITHIN Thailand?  But @steve187 reported that these are being refused.  Hence we've been talking about applications outside of Thailand.

Yes that is what I meant. I am not where of any being refused. One office (Pattaya) makes it difficult but not impossible. As far as i know all offices can accept the applications now. In the past only a few office could do them but the application could be done in Bangkok.

5 minutes ago, 234872_1469957439 said:

So Option 4... which is what I was originally planning.  Return to Thailand on a 30 day stamp.  Apply for a non-imm-O-Visa in Bangkok.  (Chaeng Watthana Road?).

Has anyone else done this successfully?  Or have people run into the refusal problem that @steve187 reported?

If you live in Bangkok, the retirement conversion should be no problem.

By the way, in an earlier post you mentioned being asked to sign something that guaranteed you would never work again. I do not think that was the intention of the document. I think you only needed to demonstrate that you were currently retired, and not intending to work in Thailand while there for purposes of retirement.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

If you live in Bangkok, the retirement conversion should be no problem.

By the way, in an earlier post you mentioned being asked to sign something that guaranteed you would never work again. I do not think that was the intention of the document. I think you only needed to demonstrate that you were currently retired, and not intending to work in Thailand while there for purposes of retirement.

Precisely.

"Retirement" is a state of mind and you can change your mind when you wish, as long as you don't work in Thailand on a Retirement based Extension or Visa.

You're over complicating things OP.

• Like 1

Yes, from reading it seems like a major cluster....

You have money?

If so, come in on anything and go to one of the agencies on Soi 13 Sukhumvit.

You need nothing( just bring your passport) and get everything: 90 day + 12 month stamps in one day.

However, it will cost you.

Edited by bkk6060

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes that is what I meant. I am not where of any being refused. One office (Pattaya) makes it difficult but not impossible. As far as i know all offices can accept the applications now. In the past only a few office could do them but the application could be done in Bangkok.

Mataphut refused, said to go to London or Lao. also said can not be done at Jomtein or Bangkok.

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

Mataphut refused, said to go to London or Lao. also said can not be done at Jomtein or Bangkok.

When?

Things changed a few months ago. All immigration offices have been directed to do them and the applications are approved at the division headquarters for where they are located.

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

When?

Things changed a few months ago. All immigration offices have been directed to do them and the applications are approved at the division headquarters for where they are located.

last week, Thursday, i got a 60 day extension from a tourist visa, she offered me 30 days 1st and then would have done a 60 day 2nd,  i want to do a yearly extension either on marriage or 'retirement', plan B.

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

last week, Thursday, i got a 60 day extension from a tourist visa, she offered me 30 days 1st and then would have done a 60 day 2nd,  i want to do a yearly extension either on marriage or 'retirement', plan B.

If you went to Jomtien or Bangkok they would turn you away and tell you do it in Rayong.

If married to a Thai you could easily get single entry non-o visa in Laos. Then you could do the extension based upon marriage or retirement.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you went to Jomtien or Bangkok they would turn you away and tell you do it in Rayong.

If married to a Thai you could easily get single entry non-o visa in Laos. Then you could do the extension based upon marriage or retirement.

Yes thinking of a trip to Lao for a multi, as by the time that 90 day would expire i would be due a trip back to the UK, so could use the multi for my next trip back in August, then do the yearly extension late in the year. local immigration offices have a mind of their own, so do you push the conversion and risk falling out with a small office.

On 10/8/2017 at 11:26 AM, uncleeagle said:

Thanks again. I wonder what proof of retirement even means.

never understood this concept; i retired at 53; just said: 'i am retired' ; there is nothing formal (USA);

sure after all these years i now get usa social security; but even that is not a formal retirement

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

never understood this concept; i retired at 53; just said: 'i am retired' ; there is nothing formal (USA);

sure after all these years i now get usa social security; but even that is not a formal retirement

Sure there is.  If you had a government job or worked for a major corporation there is usually some type of formal document acknowledging the fact you retired in good standing, after so and so years.

At least that is what I got.