Thai man kicks Toyota Yaris and jumps on the roof - because driver honked her horn

webfact

Another Thai male and his tender ego getting the better of his stunted brain.

Best to handle these guys with the respect they deserve: like a mad dog.

Logical thought, emotional detachment, and humane treatment of animals where possible

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, jaywalker said:

The Liberal members here will be silent.

She was OF their culture, and not a "GUEST" in Thailand, so while I agree with you, I'll be one of the few (with some sense) that likes what you said.

While I agree that modern day liberalism is a serious mental disorder, that fortunately has yet to make it's way into Thailand in any big way (except amongst good-doing whities from the west who would like Thailand to emulate the "enlightened west"), reading these sorts of articles I never read about anyone defending this sort of behaviour. 99/100 posters will rightfully point out the idiotic ways of buffoons like this guy. Please show me a post that defends this idiot.

To get back to this particular case, so you had a very reasonable woman honk her horn because the guy on the motorway was driving too closely. I've been on the receiving end of this before, if it was just a minor honk I let it go and move on. Very occasionally I might be on the receiving end of what I consider to be an "unreasonable" honk, whereby someone honks even though there is no justification for doing so. It might annoy me for a second but because it happens so rarely and also due to the fact nothing else happened I still let it go.

Although I continually get asked by foreign guests such as some Chinese businessmen I took on a trip recently about whether honking is illegal in Thailand (it was their first trip to Thailand and they were puzzled about the lack of horns being used) I explained that use of your horn is perfectly acceptable when it is justified, just that in most cases it's not used except to warn drivers. Thai drivers don't honk at every vehicle or on every bend in a road like is common in Vietnam and China. It's a bit of a cultural difference and it also applies in Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar (which are also predominantly Buddhist), though on mountainous roads in the former it is acceptable (and common) to honk your horn to make other drivers and local villagers aware of your presence. Large numbers of Vietnamese and Chinese trucks and buses also play a role - their presence outnumbers locally registered vehicles in border areas of Laos, which itself is a very sparsely populated country. You won't find a similar situation in Thailand except in Hat Yai, which sees large numbers of Malaysian cars and the road between Udon Thani and Nong Khai, with large numbers of Lao cars, buses and trucks - although even in these places, Thai registrations always greatly outnumber those of the neighboring country.

55 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

Worse than that.  I came around a bend on a wet curve the other day and saw a motorbike on it's side. At the same time I saw several Thais just whiz by on their bikes.  I was rushing to a meeting myself but stopped to investigate and I could hear someone yelling for help. I went over the guardrail and found a Thai guy down with a broken femur.  Another Farang stopped to help and we got an ambulance to come scoop the guy up. These people don't give a crap about each other.  I sure am happy I was not the guy down waiting for help.  

When I see accidents, all I see is Thais helping each other. When I had an accident here, straight away people around me stopped and helped. In fact the car in front stopped, helped me and even went to the hospital to check I was OK.

I find it distasteful that people like you use a story of a Thai guy who is an idiot and totally in the wrong to push you sordid racist Thai bashing bs.

On the subject of horn-honking...  The horn in my car is loud and obnoxious, its very difficult to give a quick toot-toot to someone who's clearly on their phone or not paying attention and drifting in to your lane...   there are a handful of extremely fragile ego's who respond, but for the most part I find Bangkok drivers incredibly patient in the face out outright 'f%<kwittedness', downright self-centeredness and at times idiotic dangerousness....

-------

Last week I was the passenger in an UBER... all cars had stopped in slow moving traffic to allow a young lady to cross at a marked pedestrian crossing.... All cars except the UBER I was in who edged forwards and nearly hit the lady before blasting his horn at her...  What an antisocial a-hole!. The woman ignored the driver in a flash of what I can only describe as remarkable self restraint for had I been the pedestrian I may well have found myself jumping on the bonnet of the ignorant UBER drivers car !...  

From inside the car I got annoyed with him but I got the genuine impression he really didn't care.

1 hour ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

No one teaches them about parenting. The Chinese also do this and we all know of all of the parents who parade their children on TV shows in the west as well. 

The metanarrative can never be that having children is work and that you cannot be friends with your kid.

Well the kids who act this way tend to be 1) ethnic Thai or from another ethnic minority other than ethnic Chinese or ethnic Sikh (ethnic Chinese generally don't act this way and before anyone says this is stereotyping...ethnic Chinese tend to be better educated and come from families with stronger family bonds...the richer ones participate in the family business and have a reputation to uphold) 2) from a blue collar working class background 3) have little education and/or are either unemployed or employed as menial factory workers, in trades and other positions where they have relatively little need to interact with or make relationships with people 4) they often, if not almost always come from broken families where the father is divorced from the mother (usually when the child is young) and where the kid has no relationship with his birth father 5) the kid (usually aged between 18 and 35) drives a 10-year old white or grey vios or a beaten up old 2 door pickup truck LOL.

Yes I know, there are occasionally spoiled brats who drive Mercedes Benz cars who are of a higher social standing and may react this way BUT this is rare and is generally provoked by something bigger than in this case. China is a different story - you have the "little emperor" syndrome where children who generally grew up without siblings due to China's one child policy and who were spoiled all their lives, with little empathy and capability of interacting with those around them just lose it when things don't go their way - the cultural revolution also destroyed many formerly held cultural attributes and socially engineered a new type of society. However, Chinese society looks down on these spoiled brats very strongly - with similar cases turning viral on the internet, hundreds of millions of people potentially seeing what unfolded.

On the final statement that you made, i think you have hit the mark - Thais these days DO think it's work raising children, even though the majority of Thai parents these days only have one child, or two at the very most. Gone are the days of having 4-6 children, the vast majority of Thais having kids in the last 10-15 years have just 1 or 2 children, which explains the fertility rate of around 1.6 children per woman, which is now lower than many western countries and is one of the lowest fertility rates of any developing country in the world. I don't know how Thai women, who up until the late 70s bore on average 5-6 children did it, but back then it's unlikely they would have complained about having children being "work". You also have mothers in particular who are very rough with their children, constantly smacking them or shouting at them when they do something even slightly wrong. In families where the father is still present, these fathers tend to be much more gentle with their children.

I think the Thai attitude towards childbirth has totally transformed over the past 3-4 decades. Although from a cultural standpoint, many Thais (particularly women, men not so much) like children, as in, they like playing with or showing some kind of interest in little children, this is particularly true if they don't have any children of their own, some Thai women are now saying Thai society is hostile towards families and children. That's an interesting take and while I don't agree with it entirely these women do have a point.

What happens is (and I've seen this time and time again) - pregnant woman is looking forward to having a child. Then goes through all the prenatal stuff, has the child then gets the "post-partum" blues, can't sleep, baby is acting up, mother is always tired, father doesn't help much. Mother decides to do something drastic like get a contraceptive procedure done so she can't get pregnant for years afterwards (yes I know of a Thai woman who did exactly that - doctor inserted some kind of contraceptive that supposedly won't allow her to become pregnant for 3 years!!). Thai mother will over stimulate her child but instead of playing with it and teaching it important things like potty training, reading a book, teaching the alphabet or whatver, spends most of her time dressing up the kid in ridiculous looking outfits and posting pix of it on Facebook for her friends to make comments like "how cute" (น่ารัก or when expressed emotionally perhaps น่าราาาาาก in Thai) and as soon as the kid is old enough (usually around 18-24 months, maybe 30 months in some cases) will send the kid off to a childcare centre and then pre-school so she doesn't have to look after it anymore.

This despite the fact many Thai mothers don't go back to work after having a child, and/or have a perfectly good family member such as a grandparent living with them or even a full-time nanny, yet these mothers would prefer that the state raises their children than keeping the children in the home until 5 or 6 when they are ready to enter primary/elementary school. This means that these children never get to spend very much quality time with their parents and obviously this affects their upbringing and how they will act in later life.

Many scientific studies have proven the importance of children being raised by their parents in early life and the detrimental effects of children being brought up by strangers from a young age. There is also zero evidence (contrary to the belief of some Thai parents) that early childhood education, which is essentially just childcare is of any benefit in terms of improving educational outcomes when the child gets older. On the contrary - a child who enters formal schooling later tends to perform much better and achieves higher grades.

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Reading the responses on here, one would be forgiven for thinking there is no such thing as "road rage" in the West?

What difference does it make where road rage is happening? We are talking about what happened with this incident, not what happens frequently all over the world. Fact is that in other parts of the world, criminal damage is simply that - criminal and is dealt with accordingly, while, here in Thailand people get away with paying a paltry amount of money to the police as a fine and then carry on doing the same thing to the next person who, in their eyes, does the wrong thing in their direction.

2 hours ago, neeray said:

Road rage is alive and "kicking" in North America. Although I must admit, I seem to see less of it today than in previous years. Maybe we exported it to Thailand ---- duty free!

Maybe it's because you aren't spending enough time in North America. I can tell you that even on a short trip to the west, I see evidence of road rage that is usually much more ferocious than anything I see in Thailand.

In Australia, the USA, Canada, the UK, France etc. these sorts of countries if a driver sits at the traffic lights for even a fraction of a second after the light turns green, he/she will be honked at. And it won't just be a soft honk, it will be a major, lengthy honk. If a driver happens to block an intersection for a second or two, even though drivers could drive around him/her, he/she will be honked at at length. Happens EVERY single time I see it - doesn't matter whether it's in Los Angeles, Sydney, Paris or London. Happens all the time and in some cases escalates to where a driver sitting behind the vehicle blocking traffic will get out of their car and use or threaten to use physical violence on that driver.

In Thailand, road rage like in this particular story is thankfully quite rare. It does happen and I have seen things like this unfold - like when a pickup truck driver who was rear ended by a large 10-wheeler truck tried to climb into the cab of that vehicle to punch the driver in the face while stuck in traffic down in the Bang Na area once. But usually it takes something much more significant to provoke such a reaction - despite sometimes quite bad parenting the majority of Thai drivers, males included still manage to keep their emotions in check, preferring to avoid confrontation.

In around 15 years of very extensive driving around Thailand, I have seen road rage unfold only a handful of times, most of the time it happens as a result of an accident - few Thais are willing to risk things if no actual accident actually occurred like in this story. One time in Myanmar a motorcyclist threw a brick at the car I was travelling in because our driver had his high beams turned on - I have never heard a Thai driver reacting the same way but even in Myanmar that kind of road rage is fairly rare.

8 minutes ago, Falcon said:

Fact is that in other parts of the world, criminal damage is simply that - criminal and is dealt with accordingly, while, here in Thailand people get away with paying a paltry amount of money to the police as a fine and then carry on doing the same thing...

So Thailand is the only country in the world with paltry traffic fine amounts?

4 hours ago, lucjoker said:

give them another 100 year.....but i doubt it....

If you're thinking that Thai society or indeed any society world wide is "progressive" in that way I think you are in for a rude awakening. Thai society like western society I will admit is going backwards and will likely be much worse in 100 years than now. I am quite sure that 40-50 years ago, Thai parents were raising their kids much better than now. What happened? Well many things, too numerous to list here, but let's see...male infidelity, alcohol, pressures of modern life, lack of male role models in the lives of many children growing up, children being sent off to childcare and nursery too soon, mothers being too harsh in their parenting styles, feminized males, masculine women, modern consumer culture, even medicalized childbirth etc. etc.

Just another every day Oxygen Thief showing of Thai  'Men'.   Had one around the corner last week when a Woman who owned a shop and was waiting for a goods delivery asked a young ' Man ' not to park his car in her delivery space.  He said nothing but picked up two building bricks and threw them through her shop window sending glass everywhere and then drove off.   The Police caught up with him three days later and his excuse was that he wasn't feeling well that day !    Can only say that if that had been my shop he wouldn't be feeling well for sometime to come.

2 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

I'm with you.  I made a safe left on red to a left lane of a four lane road the other day and there was a van coming along in the second lane.  No problem right?  Not so fast.  The driver took offense for some reason and tried to then cut me off in my clear lane.  I had my wife's son in the car as we had just left his school.  I zigged around the guy and took off rather then be locked behind him.  I put several cars between us but watched as the van driver raced zigzagging between cars trying to catch me.  I eventually got behind a bus at a red light with the van 4 cars behind me.  As you would expect, the driver got out of his truck and started to walk between the lanes of cars to get to my vehicle.  Rather than engage him I went around the bus and turned on the afterburners.  Being held hostage by some psycho while he smashes your car to bits is not a good feeling especially for this poor woman.  It's time to make road rage a serious crime with harsh penalties or very loose penalties for those who defend themselves when cornered.  She should have gunned it and flipped this guy like a pancake!

Sounds pretty scary - but fortunately very uncommon. I would like to have seen the footage of your account because usually there is a little more to the story than can be accurately explained in words. From what you describe, you were cut off by a van but he took offense at your action and then tried to catch up with you? Sounds absolutely insane, but if I were you of course I would have also fled if able to do so, but if stuck at the lights without being able to move (as is common in Bangkok for example) would have had no choice but to confront him, but would have filmed him of course.

Nowadays you have more and more cameras at corners that are fining drivers who turn left from the second lane 500 Baht, I was caught once but have never repeated the same mistake again on that particular road. Fewer drivers, including the many vans that turn there because it happens to be the junction of a road that leads to a major van station make this mistake but most days I still see the odd taxi, van or even private car driver turn left from the second lane and knowing there is a camera there will end up seeing a fine notice in their mail boxes a couple of weeks later.

5 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

As long as there are no fit punishments for behavior like this you can only expect it becoming worse over time.

If nobody puts it online you can forget getting a hollow apology with a wai at the end as police refuse to do any work and take any action.

Maybe best to buy 4 cams and hang them on each side of your car so at least you got some evidence and a nice shot when posting it on social media.

Although I'm not necessarily a fan of social media at the best of times, in these type of circumstances social media can be your best friend.

Many videos of Thais behaving poorly on the roads have been met with ridicule amongst Thai netizens - I would imagine that 15-20 years ago before social media, YouTube etc. most of these kinds of incidents escaped attention and punishment, now Thai people are giving them the exposure they deserve.

Horn is ok if used briefly as a preventive measure if you think another driver/motorbike rider doesn't see you.   But here, using it to tell someone they have been a moron after the fact, isn't a good idea, and could result in a lot worse than a dented car roof. 

1 minute ago, 55Jay said:

Horn is ok if used briefly as a preventive measure if you think another driver/motorbike rider doesn't see you.   But here, using it to tell someone they have been a moron after the fact, isn't a good idea, and could result in a lot worse than a dented car roof. 

Well depends a little bit on how it's done. Slight honk of the horn - no big deal. Prolonged, heavy honking may elicit a reaction. I think the same could be said in the west. So in short, no I don't think anyone would have a problem with a short honk after the fact - I rarely do it myself, but have in some circumstances with no problems whatsoever.

The way westerners/expats in particular describe an account of what happened leaves much to the imagination. What usually happens is they react much more aggressively than they claim, yet make themselves out to be the victim. Think back to the recent story of a westerner, who had two kids in his car reacting to a Thai who he claimed almost sideswiped him. He went ballistic - now I wasn't there but I didn't see any footage of what happened either. I do know there was no accident - just a close call. Yet this is the strange thing about western culture - sometimes people get much more angry about the "what if" than the aftermath. People involved in actual accidents are calm, but cut someone off and they lose it. Western culture at it's worst - seen with my own eyes.

Assuming that the lady in this story only gave a slight honk of the horn yet the Thai guy went apesh*t anyway is true, then it can't be a common reaction. I have been on the receiving end of horns after I made a maneuver I shouldn't have and have had no problems with it; also, no one has ever given me a very long or aggressive honk of the horn in Thailand. Different story in the west though.

1 hour ago, jimster said:

Sounds pretty scary - but fortunately very uncommon. I would like to have seen the footage of your account because usually there is a little more to the story than can be accurately explained in words. From what you describe, you were cut off by a van but he took offense at your action and then tried to catch up with you? Sounds absolutely insane, but if I were you of course I would have also fled if able to do so, but if stuck at the lights without being able to move (as is common in Bangkok for example) would have had no choice but to confront him, but would have filmed him of course.

Nowadays you have more and more cameras at corners that are fining drivers who turn left from the second lane 500 Baht, I was caught once but have never repeated the same mistake again on that particular road. Fewer drivers, including the many vans that turn there because it happens to be the junction of a road that leads to a major van station make this mistake but most days I still see the odd taxi, van or even private car driver turn left from the second lane and knowing there is a camera there will end up seeing a fine notice in their mail boxes a couple of weeks later.

To be clear I was turning left onto a two lane road going in that direction.  He was in the far or second lane. Meaning he had no reason to be interested me me at all.  He just got pissed because he felt I couldn't make a left on red or he got startled or whatever.  You never know what is gonna set one of these time bombs off.  I had my wits about me because it is literally right in front of a school and quite possibly the most dangerous intersection here.  I have video of the turn and the cut off but nothing else because my camera only faces forward and all the action was behind me.  I recently purchased glasses with a camera and once I get them set up I am going to wear them everywhere.  Bottom line is drivers make mistakes all the time.  It's natural and more often then not unintentional.  I severe beating is not required when someone makes a small mistake in life.  It's the personal offense that these guys take that is not a normal human response.  I occasionally bump arms with Thais in the supermarket and they always shoot a look back with daggers in their eyes.  How about a simple "kor tawt" and then just move on?  Buddhist county my ass, these people are hostile.  

"Tnews did not report what action the police took in the matter."

Probably nothing!  An apologetic Wai, and all's well.

I get fed-up reading about this shit day-in, day-out.  If the BiB started doing their job properly, road-rage incidents like this would eventually fade away into oblivion.  While there's no repercussions for this type of behaviour, it'll just be another nutter throwing his toys out of the cot, and the BiB picking them up and putting them back in.

A few months ago, a car tried to overtake me, but I was in a line of about 10 cars.  The overtaking car couldn't go anywhere and had to pull-in rather sharply infront of me due on-coming traffic.  I, in-turn, had to brake sharply to let him in, giving him a hoot at the same time.  After about 500m, the traffic stopped.  The passenger door of the overtaking car opened, and out stepped a guy with a machete, and started walking towards my door.  I just pointed at the dash cam and he quickly returned to his car.  Things could have ended-up quite differently, of course.

These men-children need to grow-up and learn to accept responsibility for their actions.  This scum bag needs his car impounding, or better still crushing, and he needs to be locked-up for a couple of years until he can pass the psychiactric examinations, pronouncing him as not a threat to society, although he might be locked-up for quite some time trying to overcome that hurdle.

5 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

I'm with you.  I made a safe left on red to a left lane of a four lane road the other day and there was a van coming along in the second lane.  No problem right?  Not so fast.  The driver took offense for some reason and tried to then cut me off in my clear lane.  I had my wife's son in the car as we had just left his school.  I zigged around the guy and took off rather then be locked behind him.  I put several cars between us but watched as the van driver raced zigzagging between cars trying to catch me.  I eventually got behind a bus at a red light with the van 4 cars behind me.  As you would expect, the driver got out of his truck and started to walk between the lanes of cars to get to my vehicle.  Rather than engage him I went around the bus and turned on the afterburners.  Being held hostage by some psycho while he smashes your car to bits is not a good feeling especially for this poor woman.  It's time to make road rage a serious crime with harsh penalties or very loose penalties for those who defend themselves when cornered.  She should have gunned it and flipped this guy like a pancake!

You were very lucky sir  The idiot was after you  Sad part if there 4 cops standing there watching none of them would of done nothing

Archived