Proof of address for a Driving Licence

sumrit

A friend of mine has just realised his driving licence expires in two days (Sunday the 8th). He won't be here next week so will have to try and re-new it today.

He won't have time to get a residence certificate from Jomtien Immigration. Does anybody know if the licencing Office in Pattaya will accept a utility bill (AIS phone bill) as proof of address???

8 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Why not wait till he gets back from wherever he is going ?

No need to rush !!

He's going back to the village in Korat for a week, to visit a relative in hospital, and there are several police check points on the way there and back.

Rules have changed. You can apply for renewal up to three months early but the licence expires on the due date and it's now illegal to use it after that date.

He's going back to the village in Korat for a week, to visit a relative in hospital, and there are several police check points on the way there and back.  

Rules have changed. You can apply for renewal up to three months early but the licence expires on the due date and it's now illegal to use it after that date.

You have one year to renew the license, however, it is not valid for use after the expiry date. If you renew after expiry you get nearly 6 years as opposed to 5 years if you do before expiry.

I am talking about a 5 year license here and not sure you mentioned which license your friend has?

4 hours ago, rog2015 said:

How long after the License has expired can it be renewed?

I read once that it’s 12 months, has that recently changed?

It hasn't changed.

Up to one year after expiry without additional effort.

But as the friend needs to drive next week he is a bit lost.

6 hours ago, rog2015 said:

It can't be used after the expiry date but have twelve months to re-new the licence after expiry.

At one time you had to wait for the licence to expire before you could re-new it. Rules changed so you can now re-new your licence up to three months in advance.

1 hour ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

OK, but if he has an accident?? deep doodah as NO insurance, I never understand why some people are so disorganised, hell it expires on your birthday??

The initial two year licence doesn't, it expires two years from the date of issue. It's the five year licences that expire on your birthday.

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Take a taxi, a bus, a train.... 

Don't make his problems our problems :post-4641-1156694572:

Or do like I did, hire a licensed driver for a few days until I got my license extended.

No, I heart they want an immigration issued residence certificate. Even a yellow book will not suffice, but it will to get the residence certificate from immigration!:passifier:

Good at keeping the money flowing in this lot!

21 hours ago, rog2015 said:

I should have been clearer, i was asking about the two year temporary license 

25 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Does your friend not have a valid licence from their home country ( in English)

A foreign licence is only valid for three months, my mate's been here for over two years. If you show a foreign licence in at least two of the checkpoints in Korat (on highway 304) they will ask for your passport as well to show how long you've been in Thailand.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

No, I heart they want an immigration issued residence certificate. Even a yellow book will not suffice, but it will to get the residence certificate from immigration!:passifier:

Good at keeping the money flowing in this lot!

You most definitely can use a Yellow Book (and a Pink ID card) as proof of address when renewing a driving licence at the Pattaya Office. You don't need a residence certificate.

15 minutes ago, sumrit said:

You most definitely can use a Yellow Book (and a Pink ID card) as proof of address when renewing a driving licence at the Pattaya Office. You don't need a residence certificate.

How current is you experience?  Someone stated a few weeks (3-4) ago that his was not accepted. Depends on who you deal with perhaps?

27 minutes ago, sumrit said:

A foreign licence is only valid for three months, my mate's been here for over two years. If you show a foreign licence in at least two of the checkpoints in Korat (on highway 304) they will ask for your passport as well to show how long you've been in Thailand.

If you have an International Driving Permit, issued say in UK, that is valid for driving here for 12 months from date of issue.   

I renewed my Thai licence in June at the Pattaya dept of Land Transport, they refused to accept my expired licence, yellow house book or pink I'd card as proof of address and insisted on a COR from immigration. The lady at the desk stated that the rules in Pattaya had changed and every office of the Land & Transport Dept was different! At immigration they saw all of the above documents and said any of them will suffice for proof of address! Go figure ! This was my second renewal of my five year licence and as it was a week after my birthday I got six years! 

1 hour ago, rog2015 said:
22 hours ago, rog2015 said:

I should have been clearer, i was asking about the two year temporary license 

Without wishing to alarm you, I must recount an incident when I renewed my 5-year licence at Rayong about a year ago. We were assembled in the lecture-room waiting for the video session, when one of the staff came in and called out for one of the applicants. A lady stood up, and was harangued in front of all of us, then did the Walk of Shame out of the room, distinctly miserable, clutching all her papers. My missis said that she was applying for renewal/upgrade of her temporary licence, but could not do so because it had expired, and she must start again from scratch.

I don't know how long her licence had been expired, it is of course possible that it was long out of date, but I wouldn't assume there is any period of grace, on temporary licences at least.

21 hours ago, DMC1 said:

You have one year to renew the license, however, it is not valid for use after the expiry date. If you renew after expiry you get nearly 6 years as opposed to 5 years if you do before expiry.

I am talking about a 5 year license here and not sure you mentioned which license your friend has?

Thought they had made a mistake yesterday when I got nearly 6 years but this explains it. Good to know, thanks!

Whilst not at Pattaya, Chumphon required the Immigration letter. Cost 500 Baht, no receipt, so guess some of that was for other "purposes".

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

How current is you experience?  Someone stated a few weeks (3-4) ago that his was not accepted. Depends on who you deal with perhaps?

Last year. My wallet was actually stolen at a market. I had to produce the police report as well and also supplied a photocopy of my licence. They accepted my yellow book then.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

If you have an International Driving Permit, issued say in UK, that is valid for driving here for 12 months from date of issue.   

An interesting point. An International Driving Permit might be valid for one year but, on its own it's not an actual driving licence. On request it must me accompanied by the valid Driving Licence that was used when applying for that permit..................and of course that foreign Driving Licence is only valid in Thailand for three months, technically making the  International Driving Permit invalid in Thailand for the last nine months, unless you leave the country and re-enter during that period. Of course that would also make your actual foreign licence valid again for three months, negating the need for your International Driving Permit.

27 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Last year. My wallet was actually stolen at a market. I had to produce the police report as well and also supplied a photocopy of my licence. They accepted my yellow book then.

Well there is another post of more recent experiences above stating not accepted and a COR obligated. A bloody nuisance for me as I live near the licencing place on Hwy 36 and a trip to the other side of Pattaya to unnecessarily (in my mind) line immigrations pockets does little for my mood.

4 hours ago, sumrit said:

An interesting point. An International Driving Permit might be valid for one year but, on its own it's not an actual driving licence. On request it must me accompanied by the valid Driving Licence that was used when applying for that permit..................and of course that foreign Driving Licence is only valid in Thailand for three months, technically making the  International Driving Permit invalid in Thailand for the last nine months, unless you leave the country and re-enter during that period. Of course that would also make your actual foreign licence valid again for three months, negating the need for your International Driving Permit.

True enough 

Archived