Follow up on Police shooting of tourist in Pai...

Teak

Some of you may remember a young Canadian woman Carly Reisig, who was shot by a cop in Pai some 8 or 9 years ago. The cop killed the boyfriend and shot Carly in the chest. Why or how is irrelevant. The Pai cops tried to cover it up, but unfortunately for them , this same cop later killed his own young wife…. and confessed to all shootings. He was sentenced to 30 odd years. I have met Carley a few times recently and she is suing the Thai Police Force due to their lies and intentional coverup. She has gone to court over 9 times. The cops admit guilt and the judge has ordered a settlement. This progressed and then the Thai police refused to negotiate. Carly will be back in court in Bangkok during this first week in August. Three final court days have been slated for this settlement hearing. There is no love lost between the two powers…and a Shinawattra was in power at the time.

Oct.06, 2017

The court case is now finished and a judgement resulting in a monetary settlement has been granted to Ms Reisig. I asked Carly if she was satisfied and she replied that she was. Carly had sued the Thai Police force in general, for dereliction of duty plus several other charges. It took 9 years and, I believe, 10 court appearances. This last appearance she flew to Bangkok alone, went to the court alone and was in great fear of succumbing to an 'accident'. However, she prevailed and the judge decided in her favour. She left Thailand as quickly as possible. Not many would be as brave.

So it is possible to "win" in court, even in a country where "legal-certainty" is questionable.

Outside of her determination and "guts", she must have had financial backing from folks in Canada to see it through. (9 years and 10 court appearances). Respect and admiration and I mean it!

Slightly off topic:
- Even Thai nationals will gladly admit, that the Thai Legal System is somewhat "unpredictable". (Understatement). No wonder, that Farangs prefer to walk away from minor legal disputes, thus avoiding excessive legal cost in an "unpredictable" legal environement.  
Not stopping certain Farangs to invest their life savings here. But that's another story and off topic.
Cheers.

5 hours ago, elektrified said:

That's good news for the plaintiff. Justice was served. But I don't understand why every time you provide updates, that you always include this old chestnut "a Shinawatra was in power at the time".  It's really quite odd.

perhaps it ws because he was an ex corrupt cop. And cops at that time thought they could get away with anything.

11 hours ago, swissie said:

So it is possible to "win" in court, even in a country where "legal-certainty" is questionable.

Outside of her determination and "guts", she must have had financial backing from folks in Canada to see it through. (9 years and 10 court appearances). Respect and admiration and I mean it!

Slightly off topic:
- Even Thai nationals will gladly admit, that the Thai Legal System is somewhat "unpredictable". (Understatement). No wonder, that Farangs prefer to walk away from minor legal disputes, thus avoiding excessive legal cost in an "unpredictable" legal environement.  
Not stopping certain Farangs to invest their life savings here. But that's another story and off topic.
Cheers.

Please so how much was she rewarded or how much was a life worth in thailand.

13 hours ago, swissie said:

So it is possible to "win" in court, even in a country where "legal-certainty" is questionable

maybe just once easier than other times: Remember that around the time of the verdict Mr. Prayuth was Honorable Guest of Mr. Trump

Well done Carly! It's just a pity that it had to take 9 YEARS to achieve justice. As a previous poster said, it must have cost an awful lot of money (in air fares alone to attend the 10 court appearances) I hope that is reflected in the settlement amount, and that there are no more delaying tactics for it to be paid, and shame on the Thai police for "refusing to negotiate" even though they admitted guilt.

3 hours ago, helloagain said:

Please so how much was she rewarded or how much was a life worth in thailand.

I think that you meant to say "awarded", but in this instance, I think "rewarded" is an equally suitable word to use! 

7 hours ago, cloudhopper said:

Did she ever actually collect the amount awarded?

That's what I was thinking too. Did she collect? Anyone knows. Anyway she was aware she was in danger when she went back to Thailand that was clever of her. 

4 hours ago, thurien said:

maybe just once easier than other times: Remember that around the time of the verdict Mr. Prayuth was Honorable Guest of Mr. Trump

What exactly does the president of the United States have to do with a case involving two Canadian citizens?

Googling the cop's name, Seargent Uthai Dechawiwat, the most recent article I could find from the Thai press was in Thairath from Aug 2013.
Dechawiwat was up in court in Chiang Mai for murder of Leo Delpinto and attempted murder of Carly Reisig. Dechawiwat claimed it was self defence.
The court ruled against him and he was sent down for 37 years 6 months. He had his sentence reduced somewhat after he later pleaded guilty.
mSQWlZdCq5b6ZLk3Z9d5PPbJGCbtJW6C.jpg
Photo of Dechawiwat from 2013 attending court.

9 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

She has wasted 10 years of her life on this. Can't help thinking she would have lived a happier 10 years if she had let it go.

Still, I wish her well.

She didn't "waste" 10 years of her life.

She dedicated 10 years of her life for a cause that she rightly considered was an injustice and abuse not to be tolerated.

She fought a battle everyone of us will benefit to some extend while bearing herself the costs and the risks

People like her would have felt awfully miserable all these 10 years if opted to "let it go"

Thailand badly needs more people like her to improve

She has all my respect and gratitude

17 hours ago, elektrified said:

That's good news for the plaintiff. Justice was served. But I don't understand why every time you provide updates, that you always include this old chestnut "a Shinawatra was in power at the time".  It's really quite odd.

When shot by a policeman it is best to go to court when the military runs the country.

When shot by a soldier it is best to go to court when a former policeman runs the country.

I believe their rivalry is well known. I remember years ago (late '80's) when police in Chiengmai arrested a soldier for some misbehaviour and was held in a police box.If I remember correctly, fellow soldiers stormed the police box, saved their buddy and blew a wall off the side of the building as a warning.

2 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

I Thought she is from Canada; wonder if even in Canada?

Her mother is French and her father Spanish, wonder if even in France and Spain?

Oh forget it, it has nothing to do with the story.

5 hours ago, Mitker said:

She didn't "waste" 10 years of her life.

She dedicated 10 years of her life for a cause that she rightly considered was an injustice and abuse not to be tolerated.

She fought a battle everyone of us will benefit to some extend while bearing herself the costs and the risks

People like her would have felt awfully miserable all these 10 years if opted to "let it go"

Thailand badly needs more people like her to improve

She has all my respect and gratitude

Well put! Spot on.

17 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Monetary settlement?

It ain't over till the fat lady sings. Not until we know how much and the money is in her bank account will I be convinced this woman has received justice.

I think you'd find this isnt about money, the time frame pretty much says that, but the actual judgment, which she won and FOR HER I believe that would be justice. No one cares what you or I think is justice. Why do people like mtb joe say it was a waste of time, he only considers money. But yes i'm sure she would like the proper financial compensation.

Archived