Pattaya police chief warns operators to tone it down in October - or else!

rooster59

Pattaya police chief warns operators to tone it down in October - or else!

Walking-Street.jpg

Amid growing confusion about what is acceptable behavior during the period of the Royal Funeral observation a letter has been issued to bar owners in Pattaya.

It comes from the chief of police at the resort and while it is still open to interpretation it leaves little doubt about what will happy if, in the eyes of the force, their edict is broken.

Apichai Krobpetch said in the letter addressed to all entertainment operators that his requests were in line with government policy for the observance of protocols during the period of the Royal Funeral from October 1 to 31st.

He said that music (dontree) or entertainment/amusement (mahorasop) must stop "in the open" (nai thee long).

(Thaivisa has included transliteration of the terms used in brackets so that individuals can come to their own understanding of what is meant).

This edict would seem to suggest that so long as matters were kept quiet behind closed doors then nothing would be said. 

But in the chief's final sentence there was no doubt. 

He said that should operators contravene what was acceptable they would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-07

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, rooster59 said:
it leaves little doubt about what will happy if, in the eyes of the force, their edict is broken.

I presume he means 'happen'?  Surely this applies to all laws in Thailand where the police decide if they can invent an excuse for extracting a 'fine'?

8 minutes ago, tomster said:

There is a law in place that covers this situation?

I seriously doubt that but then most of the bars are breaking a heap of other laws so they will just do you for that I guess...

No, probably no law is in place.

Just the edict of the police, acting as police, prosecutors, jurors and executioner's.

But of course, sane operators have a good idea what must be done.

Exactly Hansnl,......Common sense..........keep the music low, do not have glaring neon signs or too many flashy lights, observe opening times, it is hardly rocket science. If you do not provoke the bull it is not likely to charge at you....

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He said that should operators contravene what was acceptable they would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

There's a LAW that dictates what should be done this month? Or a request. The latter, I think. As far as I am aware no LAW has been passed to demand that music be hushed and lights dimmed. Demanding something doesn't mean there is a law on the statute books to back it up.

*just seen post 9 asking the same*

Don't know yet but expect a non-alcohol day next wk. Next Thursday is a year to the day. I expect this will be dry but who knows.

"No alcohol" days are usually limited to Buddhist days and elections. The requirements for this month's extended mourning period and the cremation seem clear enough and are not alcohol related.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

"No alcohol" days are usually limited to Buddhist days and elections. The requirements for this month's extended mourning period and the cremation seem clear enough and are not alcohol related.

Friday not Thursday my bad. Friday 13 is a public holiday. Anniversary of the Death of King Bhumibol. I'd be very surprised if this is not an alcohol ban day.

Friday not Thursday my bad. Friday 13 is a public holiday. Anniversary of the Death of King Bhumibol. I'd be very surprised if this is not an alcohol ban day.

I'd be surprised if it is. The notice advising entertainment places and bars has already been sent out and there is no mention of any alcohol ban. The rules are almost identical to what was issued in the days following the King's death last year.

5 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'd be surprised if it is. The notice advising entertainment places and bars has already been sent out and there is no mention of any alcohol ban. The rules are almost identical to what was issued in the days following the King's death last year.

Hope you're right. What about the funeral?

p.s. Couldn't buy beer at local 711 for 3 days after his death. Local CJ Express could buy.

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:
But in the chief's final sentence there was no doubt. 

Oh, Lord . . . gimme strength to believe that anyone in Thai officialdom can be believed.

'Acceptable' . . . acceptable to whom for crying out loud; him (assuming he hates noise and sauciness) or his music-loving Assistant Chief Constable who will be doing the rounds? Is acceptable behaviour for funeral week actually defined anywhere? I would say that, given the chief's earlier edicts, there is now more doubt than ever as to what Pattaya's street-walkers should expect, this month.

Why can't Thai officialdom put a few words together so that their meaning and message is clear?

2 hours ago, LALes said:

And the bars on Soi Whitehouse in Jomtien.

Anyone who disregards this letter will regret it in a big way... remember this is in respect to the late King

anyone who thinks their business is more important than the royal family will find out quickly that they are not & be dealt with accordingly!

I agree with some posters that when you leave interpretation of a warning to peoples "common sense" which is usually lacking.. they will twist it to serve them best... however this is the Royal family we're talking about and even the worst of the worst Thais will show respect!

16 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Oh, Lord . . . gimme strength to believe that anyone in Thai officialdom can be believed.

'Acceptable' . . . acceptable to whom for crying out loud; him (assuming he hates noise and sauciness) or his music-loving Assistant Chief Constable who will be doing the rounds? Is acceptable behaviour for funeral week actually defined anywhere? I would say that, given the chief's earlier edicts, there is now more doubt than ever as to what Pattaya's street-walkers should expect, this month.

Why can't Thai officialdom put a few words together so that their meaning and message is clear?

Because deep down they are worried about the adverse effect it could have on tourism if they came out and said  they probably will be closing down many venues 

Archived