"Sorry we set light to your son - we were just having a laugh" teens tell distraught mother.

rooster59

20 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

Why is the schools insurance NOT paying for the treatment, this needs to be looked at. Children in the care of the school should be covered by the educational establishments insurance.

Sorry, Khun Paul, you're using western thinking again - not allowed in LOS.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, sanemax said:

Which Countries are those ?

well, a 30 second search on the internet yielded:
http://family.findlaw.com/parental-rights-and-liability/parental-liability-basics.html

Criminal Parental Liability

Laws making parents criminally responsible for the delinquent acts of their children followed the civil liability statutes. In 1903, Colorado was the first state to enact a law against "contributing to the delinquency of a minor." At least 42 other states and DC now have laws against contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Other examples of criminal liability include firearm access and Internet crime related laws. Twenty-eight states and DC have child firearm access prevention laws that, generally, make it illegal for a parent to leave a firearm within reach of his or her child. Modernly, in some Internet access and computer hacking laws cases, a parent can be responsible for their child's online crimes.

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/00p04

Joint and several liability

6 Where more than one parent is liable in an action brought under this Act for a child’s activity, their liability is joint and several.  2000, c. 4, s. 6.

And an informed discussion about the pro's and con's of such liability here, conclusion on page 321-322   http://scholarship.law.nd.edu /cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1495&context=ndjlepp 

3 hours ago, 0815 said:

@sanemax: Kids do stupid things, right. But they knew exactly what will happen using the lighter !  Maybe some parents should not always wear the pink sunglasses looking at some kids in LOS ?

You need to go to the Police and tell then that this was a deliberate act , tell the School, the Parents and the kid as well .

You can not let the kids get away with this

2 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

And just WHY did they have a cigarette lighter so readily available??????????????  If they can afford to smoke then they can pay the 'mates' hospital bills.............

There is a very large difference between the medical bill and a packet of cigarettes

How do you know that they were smoking, anyway ?

45 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Ok  - it is still a nonsenical thought!

It seems to have been agreed on by all involved that they kids didnt mean to cause him harm and that it was just kids playing around .

Everyone involved seems to have that opinion , its just some TV posters who feel that this was deliberate attempted murder 

Years ago my best friend and I had a scuffle, a girl that liked me over him and he was not best pleased, we were young lads best mates. We scuffled and as I fell down he kicked me once in the face. He was immediately apologetic, in tears as he helped me up. I was ok we chatted and joked as we continued homeward. Turned out later my nose was broken. My parents were angry. I wasn't bothered, my friend and I had been in a few scrapes together and looked out for each other. I easily let it go. Many times after that we helped each other out in our farming days.

I met up with my childhood friend years later having gone away to work. We sat having a beer, discussing old times. He apologised for breaking my nose, I told him he was my friend, no problem, it fixed up ok, and, he had never let me down since.

He replied, you know, you healed and could move on, I've lost count of the number the number of times my thoughts went back to that night, and I so regretted what I did. I reckon I've actually suffered more than you did. (a wry smile)

I am absolutely sure he was correct. :smile:

In the original news story, the school's management apparently talked the victim's mother into not going to the police and not filing charges in lieu of a paltry, private settlement by the families of the 3 culprits.

When those families reneged, she turned for help to a private organization that among other things is supported a Thai model who was allegedly upset about her botched boob job.

IMHO she made a totally wrong decision from the get go by not going to the police. It remains to be seen if the Foundation will have any more luck. Meanwhile, her son is now suffering more than just from the injuries.

For every pathetic bhum jai moment, there's usually an equal or greater helping of som nam nah.

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

In the original news story, the school's management apparently talked the victim's mother into not going to the police and not filing charges in lieu of a paltry, private settlement by the families of the 3 culprits.

When those families reneged, she turned for help to a private organization that among other things is supported a Thai model who was allegedly upset about her botched boob job.

IMHO she made a totally wrong decision from the get go by not going to the police. It remains to be seen if the Foundation will have any more luck. Meanwhile, her son is now suffering more than just from the injuries.

For every pathetic bhum jai moment, there's usually an equal or greater helping of som nam nah.

If there was an amicably solution , agreed by all parties , then why get the RTP involved ?

9 hours ago, sanemax said:

12 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

And just WHY did they have a cigarette lighter so readily available??????????????  If they can afford to smoke then they can pay the 'mates' hospital bills.............

There is a very large difference between the medical bill and a packet of cigarettes

How do you know that they were smoking, anyway ?

"There is a very large difference between the medical bill and a packet of cigarettes" ......SANEMAX is quite right about this bit.......

Wouldn't 'YOU' connect having a 'cigarette lighter' in your possession with smoking cigarettes....... I think most people would connect the two....

But just for a bit of creditability SANEMAX will probably have another common reason the boys had a 'cigarette lighter' in their possession......... LOL.........

30 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

"There is a very large difference between the medical bill and a packet of cigarettes" ......SANEMAX is quite right about this bit.......

Wouldn't 'YOU' connect having a 'cigarette lighter' in your possession with smoking cigarettes....... I think most people would connect the two....

But just for a bit of creditability SANEMAX will probably have another common reason the boys had a 'cigarette lighter' in their possession......... LOL.........

They may very well had a cigarette lighter for smoking cigarettes.

My point was that just because they can afford to smoke cigarettes, (10 Baht for 3) that doesnt mean that they can afford the 10 000 Baht per week medical bills

It could have been that they found the lighter, took if from their parents or it was left at those small temples for lighting joss sticks .

My point was that having a lighter doesnt make them affluent enough to pay for the hospital bills

23 minutes ago, sanemax said:

They may very well had a cigarette lighter for smoking cigarettes.

My point was that just because they can afford to smoke cigarettes, (10 Baht for 3) that doesnt mean that they can afford the 10 000 Baht per week medical bills

It could have been that they found the lighter, took if from their parents or it was left at those small temples for lighting joss sticks .

My point was that having a lighter doesnt make them affluent enough to pay for the hospital bills

And my point is that they caused the damage so it is 'totally' their responsibility to do what ever necessary to dig up some money somewhere and all pitch-in and help the poor mom who don't have the money either but has a son in the hospital due those other boys poor judgement......... In other words it is up to those other boys (and THEIR parents) to make things 'right'........

13 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

And my point is that they caused the damage so it is 'totally' their responsibility to do what ever necessary to dig up some money somewhere and all pitch-in and help the poor mom who don't have the money either but has a son in the hospital due those other boys poor judgement......... In other words it is up to those other boys (and THEIR parents) to make things 'right'........

I do agree. The kids/families should pay all medical expenses and all other costs, travel, time off work etc and also compensation for any long term damage

On 10/7/2017 at 10:07 AM, sanemax said:

They would definitely get a "Not Guilty" on that charge

Depends on the the quality of the prosecutor and defense, and the jury. Setting someone alight as part of a practical joke gone wrong is still a criminal offense, if the local justice system sees it that way.

On 10/8/2017 at 9:34 AM, sanemax said:

So, how do you know what the boys thought ?

Do you think that the kids tried to kill their friend by setting him on fire ?

They may have been murderous evil kids, or they may have been messing around and the prank went wrong .

IMO, its the latter

if this is what friends do to each other .....   then I'd hate to see what his enemies would do.

10 hours ago, sanemax said:

I do agree. The kids/families should pay all medical expenses and all other costs, travel, time off work etc and also compensation for any long term damage

And when the kids parents ultimately renege on any 'deal', who ya gonna call?

OK, the RTP need paid to do something just like lawyers also need paid to do something. For those with limited funds, there's always social media. You see where I'm going with this?

On 10/8/2017 at 6:34 AM, sanemax said:

So, how do you know what the boys thought ?

Do you think that the kids tried to kill their friend by setting him on fire ?

They may have been murderous evil kids, or they may have been messing around and the prank went wrong .

IMO, its the latter

And this is ultimately what the 3 culprits admit to doing. It was a joke gone badly, horribly wrong.

So, no harm done, eh? Oops. My bad, sorry.

Today's "been here too long" post brought to you by...

Jeez, when I was a kid my parents told me (not 'advised') don't play with fire because someone can get hurt! Is that too difficult for todays parents? :whistling:

So, stop looking for excuses/justification why these happen and start looking for solutions to problems! Is high order critical thinking (or just using plain commonsense) too tough for some?

On 07/10/2017 at 3:12 PM, sanemax said:

Terrible thing to happen to the boy, but is was accidental .

The other kids didnt intentionally try to cause the burns .

Yes, a stupid thing to do , but kids do stupid things

Is it really so easy for you to justify stupidity and a total lack on anything even resembling common sense ?

just read what they said,

" We sprayed the room with mossie spray and when he would not come out we got a lighter "

So are you telling us that these idiots did not know that the spray was HIGHLY  INFLAMMABLE, if so why did they get a lighter???

These KIDS are highly irresponsible idiots who knew exactly what they were doing and the likely outcome.

The mother is fully justified in seeking full justice and compensation regarding medical expenses and injury.

And don't for one second think that the parents are immune, they have a finite responsibility to educate there children, and common sense is but one of many educational factors.

On 10/9/2017 at 10:33 AM, NanLaew said:

And this is ultimately what the 3 culprits admit to doing. It was a joke gone badly, horribly wrong.

So, no harm done, eh? Oops. My bad, sorry.

Today's "been here too long" post brought to you by...

It would be easier to understand what you mean , if you write in a more direct manner.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

It would be easier to understand what you mean , if you write in a more direct manner.

You and I both agree that it was a prank gone wrong. Nobody wanted to kill anyone.

We appear to disagree on that being the end of the matter. You suggest that simple financial compensation should be adequate restitution. I agree that this would be par for the course in Thailand. However, in this instance, the compensation deal has been reneged on by the 'guilty' parties involved. How do you suggest the aggrieved parent should proceed now?

True story,  a university caught a young chappy (end of masters about to phd, all funded, very intelligent, v rich family) red handed filming in girls toilet.   The girls who caught him took his laptop and found years of film on it, of every female who ever used toilet in building.  this was not the only place the chappy had been stalking, there was the showers at a dormitory etc.

the police looked at tapes for a long time, and called as many girls who were willing to act as witness.  girls go to police station, where they point out them selves to police men on video.  police say they will destroy tapes.

boy got sent away from university.

yes that is right, the extent of punishment was sent away from uni.

this was not a one off event, this was escalating from filming girls pee, to modelling a toilet, and describing on a forum how to achieve this.  some of the later footage was following unaware girls from toilet to labs and class.

there is little in the way of justice or sensible law here.

Archived