Pressure Cooker

Tim207

: :D I got mine in Central Bangna around 3 years ago. It wasn't cheap though, I think I paid around 6000 baht for it. :o

WOW 6000 baht, at least they are available though.

cheaper than the hospital bills if it goes wrong ...........................

cheaper than the hospital bills if it goes wrong ...........................

I did have one old one that blew a gasket. The resulting jet of steam spun the pot off the stove, landing upside down on the pressure valve which broke off causing another jet of steam and liquid to shoot out of the hole. The two jets fighting eachother made the pot jump and spin all over shooting the contents everywhere. Even the ceiling was dripping.

Regardless of the slight risks, there is no comparable cooking method.

Indians are very big on pressure cookers so I would look around Little India for one.

interesting observation...Indians are big on dried beans/pulses and a pressure cooker might be the best way to go...I've tried cooking the tescos variety inna pot without success a number of times, miserable muthuhs...

where is 'Little India' btw?...might be a good place to load up on bulk lentils, beans, spices, etc. as well as finding a pressure cooker...

sheesh...first a meat grinder to make ground beef now a pressure cooker to make beans...'oh,...home, home on de range...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I too would like to have a pressure cooker. I have found a number of them but they all looked pretty shabbily made and I would trust none of them. With the way the lids fit and the cheap gasket, It looked like they would leak as well as be dangerous. A good fit that clamps the gasket tight is what I looked for as well as well made handles. The better ones have a fairly large relief valve in the lid as well as the weighted pressure regulator.

Indians are very big on pressure cookers so I would look around Little India for one.

interesting observation...Indians are big on dried beans/pulses and a pressure cooker might be the best way to go...I've tried cooking the tescos variety inna pot without success a number of times, miserable muthuhs...

where is 'Little India' btw?...might be a good place to load up on bulk lentils, beans, spices, etc. as well as finding a pressure cooker...

sheesh...first a meat grinder to make ground beef now a pressure cooker to make beans...'oh,...home, home on de range...'

Tutsi, best way to make beans is to soak them overnight. Then drain the water and fill with fresh water. I cook mine over a charcoal stove the entire day. Gas would work fine too but I get my charcoal free from my mother-in-law :o

Has anyone checked the Verasu website for a pressure cooker? They usually have very good quality merchandise

Tutsi, best way to make beans is to soak them overnight. Then drain the water and fill with fresh water. I cook mine over a charcoal stove the entire day. Gas would work fine too but I get my charcoal free from my mother-in-law :o

Has anyone checked the Verasu website for a pressure cooker? They usually have very good quality merchandise

yeah...I've soaked them and cooked the shit outta them without success...the red kidneys are the most difficult...wash, soak, wash then cook for 3 hours and still fcukin' crunchy...nowhere near to be chilli and beans quality...you cook them all day?...sheesh the fuel expense must be horrendous...

this thread is great as I hadn't been aware ob the dangers inherent with pressure cookers...a good seal wid a good gasket is the best way to go, plus a good relief valve arrangement...looks like a cheap arrangement is not advised...

For unusual, exotic or just good quality cooking / kitchen equipment you can't beat Verasu on Wireless Road - about 150 meters on the left as you come from Ploenchit.

They have branches and smaller outlets in some Malls such as the Emporium but the main shop on Wireless Road has 4 or 5 floors of gadgets and equipment, from Fish Slices to Fridge / Freezers and most stuff in between.

Patrick

Edit: can't spell "gadgets"!

Edited by p_brownstone

I agree with SBK. Soak the beans overnight. True, Tutsi, red kidney beans take forever to get soft. I soak them for two days (change the water). I never use a pressure cooker. No need, my rice cooker does a dam fine job. I cook beef and chicken stew, chili con carne, Mongoo (? forget the name, those little green lentils) with chicken. I usually chuck in the beans and/or meat first and just keep adding cool water when Betsy goes into the "keep warm" cycle. About two-three hours. The beef comes out as tender as its pressure-cooked brethren. Add the veg just for reg cooking time so it doesn't go mushy. I often add fresh cilantro or whatever frilly green offerings on top at serving.

I'm hungry...

I agree with SBK. Soak the beans overnight. True, Tutsi, red kidney beans take forever to get soft. I soak them for two days (change the water). I never use a pressure cooker. No need, my rice cooker does a dam fine job. I cook beef and chicken stew, chili con carne, Mongoo (? forget the name, those little green lentils) with chicken. I usually chuck in the beans and/or meat first and just keep adding cool water when Betsy goes into the "keep warm" cycle. About two-three hours. The beef comes out as tender as its pressure-cooked brethren. Add the veg just for reg cooking time so it doesn't go mushy. I often add fresh cilantro or whatever frilly green offerings on top at serving.

I'm hungry...

hungry?...me too...thanks for that Ms gorgon, I will haveta consider a rice cooker for this purpose (in america they're called 'slow cookers')...

I can imagine the look on the wife's face when I go to buy one 'whaaad?...I thought that you didn't like thai food...'and when I go to use it for a purpose other than for cooking rice 'you maniac!!! what are you doing!!!...' (the wife eats next door at mama's where they got 2 rice cookers on the go at any time)

:o

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I'm hungry...

Same here: I never use(d) a pressuer cooker and I am a Chef.

Great idea with the rice cooker, will check it out next time.

Such a pressure cooker would take away all the joy and fun when cooking.

I like to watch and taste my food every couple of minutes during cooking.

Gerd

I have found an Australian company that will ship to Thailand. It appears that they sell only quality cookers and they have a large selection. I have emailed them asking about shipping details as well as recommending a cooker that my wife isn't able to blow up. The next problem will be to worry whether Thai customs will allow it to ship without me having to go to Bangkok and put up with a hassle. Here is their link;

http://pressurecooker.com.au/

EDIT - I love shredded beef sandwiches and shredded beef with gravy over mashed potatoes. The beef (Buffalo?) I have found can be slow cooked or boiled for hours and it is STILL tough. The rice cooker or crock pot slow cooker just won't do the job.

Edited by Gary A

Fagor makes the best IMHO they are available at @ease, Central, and Sogo, have local service. They also have the old style Fagor Classic here, it is a real professional beast, but also costs much more than the home models. The cost of the classic is quite high, so if you're not serious about PCooking start with the home model..The classic is about the only one available that is also Ok to use for a pressure fryer.

LtLos

Fagor makes the best IMHO they are available at @ease, Central, and Sogo, have local service. They also have the old style Fagor Classic here, it is a real professional beast, but also costs much more than the home models. The cost of the classic is quite high, so if you're not serious about PCooking start with the home model..The classic is about the only one available that is also Ok to use for a pressure fryer.

LtLos

This one looked like it would do just fine for me.

FAGOR Duo (S/Steel) 6 litre RRP $209 # Special: $119

We can also recommend the Fagor Duo pressure cooker as an excellent beginners model. Simple and easy to use, this model has 4 safety systems with 3 independent safety pressure release systems, thick thermal base and with 2 x preset pressures, also runs at 15psi pressure (the faster the cooking, the healthier and more flavoursome is the food), and also offers good trouble free operation.

EDIT - I love shredded beef sandwiches and shredded beef with gravy over mashed potatoes. The beef (Buffalo?) I have found can be slow cooked or boiled for hours and it is STILL tough. The rice cooker or crock pot slow cooker just won't do the job.

Gary, I would suggest you braise the buffalo slow and long, pulled or shredded beef can take up to 12 hours to cook properly, depending on the cut, but the temp is quite low, perhaps 285 F or lower in an oven. I take the cheaper local cuts for pulled beef and put in a slow cooker for at least 12 and sometimes 18 hours, on the low setting. If you pressure cook these cuts, you may not get the depth of flavor that slow cooking can achieve. Also the stock from the slow cooker makes a great base for a sauce.

LtLOS

Gary, I would suggest you braise the buffalo slow and long, pulled or shredded beef can take up to 12 hours to cook properly, depending on the cut, but the temp is quite low, perhaps 285 F or lower in an oven. I take the cheaper local cuts for pulled beef and put in a slow cooker for at least 12 and sometimes 18 hours, on the low setting. If you pressure cook these cuts, you may not get the depth of flavor that slow cooking can achieve. Also the stock from the slow cooker makes a great base for a sauce.LtLOS

another excellent suggestion for the 'slow cooker'...whenever I buy beef at tescos I grind it up as it is too tough otherwise...do you just put the meat in the cooker with a little water?

we all gotta beware these devices that take a lot of power...big electric bill for the sake of acceptable falang cuisine...

I love it...at a falang cocktail party discussing household expenses 'hey, I use more power on my slow cooker than on my air conditioning...', oneupmanship gone clazy...

:o

Edited by tutsiwarrior

...do you just put the meat in the cooker with a little water?

Ok, here's my method for pulled pork or beef, or any other type of tougher cut.

The best flavors for most meats come from the tougher cuts such as beef shank or pork shoulder. These are very well suited for slow cooking.

The following can be used for either beef or pork, or any other quite tough cut.

In a heavy skillet preferable cast iron, pre heat and add some oil, place whole cut of meat in the pan and sear on all sides till brown and crispy. The cut should fit whole in your slow cooker pot. While the meat is searing, take your slow cooker pot and add to it:

2 bay leaves

2 whole dried chiles

8 to 10 peeled garlic cloves

3 Tbs tomato paste

3-4 cardomons shelled

if you like a real nice spicy dipping sauce for use with this add

2 whole chipotles in adobo (smoked jalepeños) or 4-5 Thai birds eye chili's stems removed.

After the meat is seared, add to the crock pot and if nessary add to the searing pan:

a bit more oil

1 large onion coarsely chopped

Saute the onion till nicely browned

add to crock pot and deglaze the searing pan with 1/2 cup red wine and add to crock pot. Add enough water to cover.

Cover and cook on low, depending on cut of meat for 8 to 18 hours. I usually start this at about 4 in the afternoon and let go till about 10 am next day.

At that point pull out the meat and place on a tray, cover and let set for a few minutes, then pull with a two forks to get a stringy coarse style pulled meat. Cover this right away as it will dry out quickly.

Strain the stock from the pot into a sauce pan taste and adjust seasoning, I don't add a lot of salt to the slow cook so this sauce will need salt. Also if you want a tangy sauce adjust with vinegar. Reduce this to about 2 cups, at that point if you want a thicker sauce I use a tapioca starch for thickening as it adds a nice sheen, or you can use it direct as an au jus.

Serve on hard rolls with a good hearty mustard and dill pickle chips.

Edited by LtLOS

A few comments on how tough the beef is here. I never buy meat from Tesco or supermarkets. Like how long has that stuff been frozen or refrozen?

I always buy from the market, and I get a whole filet for about Bt350. That's about six-eight steaks. Cut em up and freeze, thaw when needed and salt, pepper, garlic spread for about four hours. Fast fry. Yum. Even the big beef/buffalo chunks I get come out as soft as tenderloin when I cook as stew in the rice cooker. Forget Tesco, Tutsi. Try the market, early, early.