Tourists really getting stung in Thailand amid fears someone could die

webfact

17 hours ago, Inepto Cracy said:

Very interesting indeed. I have watched these same Asian Killer Wasps building a nest across from my house since 24th December 2016. The nest started off as a fist sized ball. It grew steadily untill two weeks ago, when it was finally removed.

Phuket officials ??? came to see the house on three different occasions and tut, tut tutted their way back to their offices.

F A got done about the nests removal.

The nest in total height was just over a metre tall. The wasps were approx 6 1/2 cms in length.

The nest was removed by setting on fire to it at night and taking the whole thing down. See photos attached.

Pity about all the electrical wires obscuring part of the picture.

These Asian Killer Wasps are already causing deaths in China, France and have also begun causing big problems in Wales too.

Their main danger to the eco systems around the world, is that they destroy honey bees hives and nests. Honey bees are the plants, flowers etc main pollinators.

Shooting mothballs into the nest, will only cause the wasps inside the nest to build a covering of nesting spit and paper, to cover the smell. BUT then they will go onto overdrive, increasing the size of the nest, approx by ten cms per month.

I am no expert on this matter, but I did observe the wasps progress every day.

20170923_093156.jpg

Screenshot_20171009-135737.jpg

6 1/2 cm long wasps??????

13 hours ago, drtreelove said:

The original post is most likely about Tiger Wasps, common in Thailand. And dangerous enough...

But Giant Asian Hornets are another story. -- The leading cause of animal related death in Japan I learned from a documentary on NatGeoWild or Animal Planet. And working their way west across China. 

http://gawker.com/this-hornet-will-be-the-last-thing-you-see-before-you-d-1428724767

Mmmm.........I wonder if those hornets could be re-routed to North Korea? :whistling:

There are some other tiny wasps very hard to see that make a nest in trees and bushes if you disturb them which isn’t hard as you cannot see them they attack in force

The stings  usually take 3- 4 days  to go Itch like crazy

Anyone know what they are?

57 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

There are some other tiny wasps very hard to see that make a nest in trees and bushes if you disturb them which isn’t hard as you cannot see them they attack in force

The stings  usually take 3- 4 days  to go Itch like crazy

Anyone know what they are?

Believe they are called Tiger Head Bees. They hurt. Closest I can say is the initial hit is like being slapped by someone using a steel 12" ruler, get more than 10 or so hits it can make you feel really sick for a while.

As you say so small and so fast it's almost impossible to see them hit and leave.

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Believe they are called Tiger Head Bees. They hurt. Closest I can say is the initial hit is like being slapped by someone using a steel 12" ruler, get more than 10 or so hits it can make you feel really sick for a while.

As you say so small and so fast it's almost impossible to see them hit and leave.

Now, if only the RTP was that smart.......................

8 hours ago, overherebc said:

Thanks for the update that’s the guys

My first encounter a few years ago got badly stung and had to see the doctor 

As we have a lot of trees and bushes we do regular checks with an aerosol in each hand !!

9 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Thanks for the update that’s the guys

My first encounter a few years ago got badly stung and had to see the doctor 

As we have a lot of trees and bushes we do regular checks with an aerosol in each hand !!

When I and a mate got hit walking past a hedge it was on our legs through Levi jeans. Mate got about 10 hits I got about 4 or 5. He felt sick for about 3 or 4 hours afterwards.

We returned the next day and emptied 4 large spray cans on the whole hedge.

• 1 month later...

Archived