Smoke on Thai beaches this high season and face jail or 100,000 baht fine

webfact

Jump on a persons car and create damage, 500 baht fine and a Wai.

Don't like the smell of cigarette smoke, actually repulses me, and as much as I think its a good start, it should be all year around, not just high season, add that to disposing of plastic and glass beer bottles appropriately or the same fines applying, 100,000 baht fine and only on high seasons sounds like a money grab from the tourists, no doubt the numbers will be once again reduced, and the Thai's complaining business is bad, no tourists.

How is the government going to enforce this, will be interesting, maybe parasailing from the air as the pick up the scent of the cigarette smell ?

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, balo said:

100 000 baht fine ? Sorry something is completely wrong here.  You can get away with murder for under 50k .  

A Thai smoking on the beach will never be able to afford 100k , so imo this will end up as a scam operation , just like the jet ski scam .  Pay 100k or we send you to jail.

This must be a part of the "Go home Farang" campaign 

Well its clearly part of a tourist prevention policy.:smile:  

Next they'll be offering free flights to Vietnam!!

Just another shake down.  Pick one item and create a Machiavellian law, then ignore the rest of the pollution, say from the factories, ships, klongs, and tributaries that empty into the oceans and seas around those beaches.  Nope, just cigarettes!  And no vaping which leaves no butts.  But just think of the income from all those 100K fines!!!  Heck, for 100K and a wai to the victim's family, you can pretty much kill someone in the LOS.  Foreign smokers beware!  You've been warned, although no doubt you won't know until you've been hauled to jail.

2 hours ago, smedly said:

oh dear, how about a general clamp down on all types of littering, if I smoke anywhere I use an ashtray or a bin and that includes on a beach, if I have litter it goes in a bin, I am all for cleaning up and stopping people littering but stopping people smoking on a beach adds absolutely nothing to this, how many April 1st's are there in Thailand, they seem to have one every week.

This is stupidity beyond belief

Oh those walk's along the beach in Rayong, dodging empty  broken bottle's ,plastic bags,empty cigarette boxes,bottle caps and toilet tissue after a storm washed up the newest trash dumping in the Sea of Thailand  . 

This is the real stupidity

oh dear, how about a general clamp down on all types of littering, if I smoke anywhere I use an ashtray or a bin and that includes on a beach, if I have litter it goes in a bin, I am all for cleaning up and stopping people littering but stopping people smoking on a beach adds absolutely nothing to this, how many April 1st's are there in Thailand, they seem to have one every week.

Perhaps you use an ashtray to discard your butts, but the majority of smokers don't. Considerate smokers are the minority. You'd be more aware of that if you're a non-smoker. The sand is a perfect place to put out cigarette butts. The more considerate beach smokers may stub them out and cover them with sand. It's not even just the butts to consider. The ash is sprinkled all over the sand too.

If you live directly adjacent to a roadway the chances are each and every day you'll be picking up cigarette butts. It was a constant job at the last place I lived.

- Poor local girls having to sell their bodies in bars = No problem! Girl can make easy money and help lazy family!

- Plastic bags being given and thrown everywhere = No problem! 7-Eleven make all happy and have good sandwich!

- Thousands of people being killed in traffic every year = Its okay, No problem. Just bad luck!

- Crappy healthcare system for poor people = We all die anyway. No need to make problem about this!

(Continue the list yourself)

- Smoking a cigaret on beach = OHHHH! VERY BIG PROBLEM. We have to fix!

Thai-Logic and priorities at its best.

OMG think you will find more plastic on the beaches than ciggeret butts last week  on our local pier there were Thais brushing the roads guess where all the trash went ! " into the sea "that's right not into black bags they just swept it all under the railings and into the sea !

Posters have suggested this is aimed at farangs, and it probably is in the main, but one of the beaches mentioned is Bang Saen. 

For those that haven't been there, Bang Saen has to be the filthiest beach in Thailand, and up with the world's worst. The colour of the sea makes Bognor look like the Maldives. Last time I was there there was a bloated dead dog at the water's edge.

It's popular with Thai day-trippers, mostly working class Thais who go there to sit under huge banks of umbrellas on deckchairs, eat cheap seafood from styrofoam containers, drink Hong Thong, Blend  285 and Coke from big plastic bottles, smoke cheap cigarettes and buy even cheaper crap from the hundreds of vendors. Some people actually venture into the sea, though whether they spend the next two weeks in a sick bed I don't know!

If there's one place this new edict is most unlikely to be enforced, Bang Saen has to be the place.

Someone is actually paid (probably a lot of money) to come up with these interpretations of old laws.

They are usually

1. Stupid

2. Impractical

3. Abused

4. Non (or selectively) enforced to extort cash.

There should be a law about not making any more stupid laws!

Another backward thinking solution to a backward stepping country.

Will never be clean here, shame really that it’s marred by ignorance & lack of education.

I also hate family members & builders that throw all their fag butts & the most grotesque coughing up & spitting all over our garden and lawn.

6 minutes ago, kcpattaya said:

No more beer/alcohol; no more umbrellas and loungers; no more fags...
No more tourists.

It all makes sense.

Ohh they want tourists, but only high-end ones. Meaning the ones not drinking, smoking or sitting on the beach in a chair, under an umbrella.

They have to be out shopping, not all that other stupid low-life stuff.

Banning smoking on beaches will not stop the issue of littering. Another wild law that targets pockets, dressed as an environmental issue. I have never seen any initiative to clean up beaches unless it came from concerned business owners, schools (possibly foreign English teachers idea) and yes uppity green foreigners in general. 

I spent an evening on Ao Manao earlier in the year, only to find it was a military base/ resort. No smoking in public places, curfew of 11pm, everywhere shut 30 minutes before. There were no activities allowed on the beach (would have been an awesome bay to kayak across). It was the most dull place in Thailand and the rest of the country is headed this way too.

Just wait until the first tourist is jailed for beach-smoking and they news goes all over the world. Great marketing!

26 minutes ago, khunpa said:

- Poor local girls having to sell their bodies in bars = No problem! Girl can make easy money and help lazy family!

- Plastic bags being given and thrown everywhere = No problem! 7-Eleven make all happy and have good sandwich!

- Thousands of people being killed in traffic every year = Its okay, No problem. Just bad luck!

- Crappy healthcare system for poor people = We all die anyway. No need to make problem about this!

(Continue the list yourself)

- Smoking a cigaret on beach = OHHHH! VERY BIG PROBLEM. We have to fix!

Thai-Logic and priorities at its best.

Should they give up on cigarette butts because there are other problems to consider? Cleaning up plastic bags is a lot easier than cleaning up cigarette butts, which become integrated with the sand. If you send a person along a beach to clean up litter they won't be looking for cigarette butts. They need a sand-sifting tractor to remove cigarette butts.

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

Should they give up on cigarette butts because there are other problems to consider? Cleaning up plastic bags is a lot easier than cleaning up cigarette butts, which become integrated with the sand. If you sent a person along a beach to clean up litter they won't be looking for cigarette butts. 

No, but why start with the smallest of all problems?

Road in Thailand are e.g. crazy dangerous and kills thousands of people every year. What is the fine for driving without a license? THB 200.

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I went 'Cold Turkey' three and a half weeks ago, and it has been three and a half weeks of HELL!

But, I have done it.

Make it 200,000 Baht!

Yours smugly...

:laugh:

Takes longer than that to kick the habit a very much longer.

Archived