Phi Phi with a 10 year old

SGD

Is Phi Phi worth it these days with a child ?

Is there really much to do apart from laze around on the beach ?

What about quality accommodation - not looking for budget ?

Looking for 2/3 days I guess. Haven't been back for years, not since tsunami in fact.

4 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Never went to Phi Phi..but having seen parents with 10 year olds in Pattaya or around Nana Plaza, Phi Phi would not be such an issue with a kid. Happy holiday...

Thanks but it isn't about whether Phi Phi is better than Soi 4 Sukhumvit or Walking Street but whether in its own right Phi Phi is worthwhile for a 10 year old. I wouldn't take the child to either of those places as a responsible parent however, though I know some (idiots) do.

When I knew Phi, both before and after the 1999 movie The Beach, it was a laid back place which quickly turned into a shithole with scammers and essentially backpackers who had no means of supporting themselves intermingled with a decent amount of extrovert travellers and at least until 1999, few tourists and ferry passengers.

After the movie, all hell broke loose and the end as it were was nigh. Now, quite some years after the 2004 tsunami, I was sitting in Rayavadee wondering whether to cross the water and now planning another trip, I am asking myself the same question. Other options exist I am aware but the shallow water at the backside of Phi Phi would (if still like that) be fantastic for a child given the very shallow depth with no real drop off (and little water at low tide).

I assume decent reports of upscale accommodation and can find Tripadvisor reviews but I am looking for the human element, of someone who has been there recently. My knowledge is out of date.

I can see no benefit to going to stay at Phi Phi .  The first time I went there it was pleasant and uncrowded .  Just prior to the Tsunami I went again , it was crowded with masses of market stalls .  In my view it is best to take day boat trip , if your 10 year old can snorkel . Monkey island has pretty coral just off the beach with lots of fish .  Phi Phi Don main beach is full of dead coral , there are resorts on the east side that may be better . Phi Phi Le has a pretty bay good for snorkeling , but the famous beach will likely be overcrowded .  My advice is stay where you are , longtail boat day trips to Chicken island , much closer and good snorkeling , make more sense .  

I am sure you could fill two or three days there with a 10 year old if they enjoy swimming and walking. It is a few years since I was there (Phi Phi Lek) but it was great for snorkelling (nothing serious - just a face mask snorkel and flippers). The water was great, plenty of fish to see.

There is also some nice walks too.

I didn't have any problems with backpacking brigade, there wasn't many around.

Anyway, what kid doesn't enjoy a day messing about on the beach too?

The boat trip can be an experience in itself as well. Sure your kid will love it.

A year ago, we went to Krabi and took a day trip to Phi Phi as well as other islands - being off season, it was still a mob of boats coming in and unloading people for an hour and then off to the next island... if you remember the old days, it is going to be disappointing...

That said, we booked the Centara Resort - it was off to itself and had a nice pool and beach area, monkeys abound, and made for a pleasant 2-3 days stay... you need a speedboat to get there and they have regular ferry service to get you in and out... there may be 2 different Centaras in Krabi... so choose carefully. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:13 PM, Toscano said:

I can see no benefit to going to stay at Phi Phi .  The first time I went there it was pleasant and uncrowded .  Just prior to the Tsunami I went again , it was crowded with masses of market stalls .  In my view it is best to take day boat trip , if your 10 year old can snorkel . Monkey island has pretty coral just off the beach with lots of fish .  Phi Phi Don main beach is full of dead coral , there are resorts on the east side that may be better . Phi Phi Le has a pretty bay good for snorkeling , but the famous beach will likely be overcrowded .  My advice is stay where you are , longtail boat day trips to Chicken island , much closer and good snorkeling , make more sense .  

I stayed there for a week in 96. It was brilliant.

Then it became a grotty party beach over run with obnoxious party goers that cared nothing about the natural beauty. The dozens of unmuffled longtails shuttling between the beaches didn't help. The main area had become congested with horrid resorts, built only to accommodate as many party goers as possible. The natural beauty of the place completely destroyed ( Thais doing their best to ruin a once beautiful place because of greed ).

I went back after the tsunami, and far from taking the opportunity to build something better, bagpacker volunteers were working to help rebuild the same s***hole that it had been before.

I don't recommend anyone to go there, let alone a 10 year old.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:13 PM, Toscano said:

Here's 4 photos from google images that tell the story of Phi Phi's destruction from a beautiful island in the 90s to a real horror story now, and all in the name of greed. I think it's probably worse now as that photo doesn't show all the present construction.

Note the boats in the coral bay side. IMO too dangerous to snorkel there.

Top photo is Maya bay. Insanity.

Leh.The Beach beach. Insanity because of greed..jpg

Don in the 90s.jpg

phi hi don island after destruction.jpg

phi-hi-don-island-before destruction.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived